Help installing /e/ on Galaxy J7

Hi,
I buy a Samsung J7 model SM-J700F as described in /e/ documentation.

After a lot of researches, I found that I can have device information with adb from the file /system/build.prop. Instead of having j7eltexxe as codename I got this

ro.product.name=j7ltezm
ro.product.device=j7ltechn

I found device information based on lineageOS project. The main issue is the SoC is not Exynos as it is recommended but a Qualcomm MSM8929 Snapdragon 415. By the way, device documentation on /e/ website describe the SoC as a Qualcomm MSM8939 Snapdragon 615 (28 nm)

Do you think I have a chance to install /e/ on this device ?

If the answer to the question above is yes, I have another issue with the OEM unlock option in developer mode. It seems that Samsung locks this option with KnoxGuard during 7 days before we can get it available. I don’t find any solution to bypass this.

Does this “security” lock is also in Lollipop ? With my readings, I am not sure about it. It seems it’s only in android 6.x and 7.x

Thanks.

Hi, welcome to our community :slight_smile:

According to the information you provided, your device isn’t compatible with /e/. Do not try to flash it if it’s not exactly the same codename etc.

But the SM-J700F is supposed to be compatible so this is weird. I’m not an expert on how Samsung name their device…

Thank you for pointing that out, I will dig in and report it.

The good news first: Your SM-J700F is supported by /e/ OS dev (oreo) codename “j7eltexx”.

Samsung Galaxy J7 Edition SM-J700F models supported by /e/ OS are: SM-J700F/DS- H/DS - M - M/DS are equipped with a SoC Samsung Exynos 7580.

The codename “j7eltexx” is used in conjunction with LineageOS primarily with UNOFFICIAL LOS builds.

The linked j7eltexx page in the /e/ documentation only shows the error message “404 - Page not Found”.

The /e/ codeword “j7eltexx” is derived from “j7elte”. But there is also a current TWRP recovery version twrp-3.3.1-0-j7elte available from TeamWin - TWRP.

TWRP J7

Samsung’s Galaxy J7 is available in three editions: 2015, 2016 and 2017. The variety of models leads to irritations.The indication under in the /e/ documentation under »Device Specifications: SoC Qualcomm MSM8939 Snapdragon 615 (28 nm)« is wrong.

Samsung’s Galaxy J7 SM-J700F specifications on → SAMmobile and → GSMarena:

@liochan, here you find all the latest Samsung firmwares for the Galaxy J7 SM-J700F.

If your new SM-J700F is running a firmware StockROM 9.0, you may need to downgrade it to in order for /e/ for j7eltexx dev (oreo) to work properly.

Thank you :slight_smile:

It seems so… I was not really aware of everything when I choose this phone. I learn :smiley:

Yep that’s something I don’t understand. I thought the model was enough to get the right phone.

According to a lot of source the SoC is Exynos 7580

I thought it too, when I bought my phone to somebody, I just asked for the device model “SM-J500FN”.
Could the information provided by adb be wrong ? Or vice versa. It doesn’t seem logical.

What I would do (I don’t know if it will be useful though) : When you remove your battery, there should be a tag with IMEI and probably the device model (SM-J700F).
With this model name, I would then download the right firmware on sammobile (free account, approximately 1h to download). Select your country, not your operator/ISP, it’s not cecessary you will have bloatware from this operator. By the way, keep it somewhere it’s always useful to have the original firmware in case of trouble.
Then I would flash it with Odin. After that, check your codename with adb again.

@archie thank you very much for your time and message.

I bougth the phone on aliexpress and even the specification is talking about a Qualcomm SoC. Maybe it’s a copy and not a real refurbished one as announced.

This the /system/build.prop

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=LMY47O
ro.build.display.id=LMY47O.J700FXXU1AOH5
ro.build.version.incremental=J700FXXU1AOH5
ro.build.version.sdk=22
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.all_codenames=REL
ro.build.version.release=5.1
ro.build.date=Thu Aug 27 13:21:19 KST 2015
ro.build.date.utc=1440649279
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=dpi
ro.build.host=SWHD4011
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.build.flavor=j7ltezm-user
ro.product.model=SM-J700F
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=j7ltezm
ro.product.device=j7ltechn
ro.product.board=msm8916
# ro.product.cpu.abi and ro.product.cpu.abi2 are obsolete,
# use ro.product.cpu.abilist instead.
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist64=
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=msm8916
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=j7ltechn
# Do not try to parse description, fingerprint, or thumbprint
ro.build.description=j7ltezm-user 5.1 LMY47O J700FXXU1AOH5 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/j7ltezm/j7ltechn:5.1/LMY47O/J700FXXU1AOH5:user/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=china_wlan
# Samsung Specific Properties
ro.build.PDA=J700FXXU1AOH5
ro.build.hidden_ver=J700FXXU1AOH5
ro.config.rm_preload_enabled=0
ro.build.changelist=605593
ro.product_ship=true
ro.chipname=MSM8929

The chipname MSM8929 and the codname j7ltechn are corresponding with the description on lineageOS

I think the best things I have to do, it’s reselling the phone because I can sell it at the same price. I will take time to search the good one and buy it on my country even it’s not the same.

@Anonyme: thank you for your answer !

I dug a little more thanks to your information.

@archie : with your link to gsmarena I find that models with Exynos haven’t NFC, but models with Qualcomm has NFC. Bad news, my phone has NFC :smiley:

@Anonyme : based on IMEI number the model is SM-J7008.

I think I am done and I can resell it without any regrets :innocent:

@liochan,

the chipname MSM8929 belongs to Qualcomm Snapdragon 415. There’s no doubt about it;

The official WinTeam TWRP does not know the codename j7ltechn, but following four editions:

Samsung Galaxy J7 (2015 Qualcomm Sprint) (j7ltespr)
Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016 Exynos) (j7xelte)
Samsung Galaxy J7 (2017 Qualcomm Sprint) (j7popltespr)
Samsung Galaxy J7 Exynos SM-J700 (j7elte)

The right TWRP is important for /e/ OTA updates. I don’t know if there are any differences between /e/ j7eltexx (aka j7elte) and j7ltezm as well as j7ltechn (= ro.product.name).

Be careful, because shopping at aliexpress or Amazon “Market Place” brings especially high risks.

#6 “I think I am done …” Yes, that seems to be a good solution…

This explains everything. The SM-J7008 is specific to China. So the codename you found, “j7ltechn” (chn for China), makes sense now.

@archie : thank for editing, I was getting confusing about TWRP :smiley:

I know the risk and this time I loose ! According to /system/build.prop I see this

ro.product.board=msm8916

It’s not an octa-core but a quad-core. Two models are good candidate SM-550F and SM-J5008, but the last as also a codename j5ltechn.
I don’t know if it’s possible to fake information.

But the situation is waking up my “hacking mojo” ! Good case to do some forensics :rofl:

I assume that all digital data is manipulable.

07.04.2017 | heise online

On online marketplaces such as eBay or AliExpress, USB sticks with large capacities are available for little money. These are often counterfeits, says the North Rhine-Westphalian consumer association Verbraucherzentrale Nordrhein-Westfalen.

or 27.03.2019 | Fake USB sticks and SD cards

© Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 Like

Really good readings, but I didn’t pay 10x less just 20-30% less. The other point was I found it only available on aliexpress as refurbished in french market.

I installed apps from f-droid (cpu info and android explorer). So I was wrong about the cpu, it is an octa-core Qualcomm MSM8929 Snapdragon 415. I also find that my phone is rooted.

Also my bad @Anonyme, but I am learning about devices. As you state, it makes sense now.

So j7ltechn and j7ltespr are same devices according to https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_device_samsung_j7ltechn and https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_samsung_j7ltespr. And this page achieve to clarify this point https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_samsung_j7lte-common

Common Tree for Samsung Galaxy J7 (j7ltespr/j7ltechn)

So my plan is

1. Install Official TWRP App. Because my phone is rooted. It will help to bypass 2 issues. I am linux user, I can’t use Odin. I can’t use Heimdall because of OEM unlock options issue.
  2. Backup existing recovery and boot with TWRP App
  3. Install TWRP Samsung Galaxy J7 (2015 Qualcomm Sprint) ( j7ltespr )
  4. As adviced by @Anonyme install the right firmware from sammobile. Fun fact, with Android Explorer, bootloader is J7008ZMU1AOH5, which is corresponding to a PDA number in firmware list. Perhaps I can try to install firmware of SM-J700F model ?
  5. Install unofficial lineageOS 15 for j7ltespr
  6. Learn how to create a /e/ Rom based on lineageOS Rom to provide an ROM for j7ltespr/j7ltechn. Possible ? Quite long ? :smiley:
    Edit : doesn’t look impossible or quite long (for me) I just read the documentation page, so the build looks possible by using j7ltechn model and create a new unofficial ROM.

Thank you very much for your help !

My plan is perfect, it has failed quickly :rocket:

I have been successful to install TWRP App.

I did a backup of the stock recovery. I also have done an error, I backed up the bootloader, but I didn’t take care that it has overwritten the backup of the recovery as the filename was the same. Now I have no recovery :upside_down_face:

I installed TWRP for j7ltespr. When I rebooted to recovery (device button), my screen was displaying vertical colored lines, nothing clearly visible. After that the screen was black. So the recovery is not working.

I rebooted and I installed stock recovery backup. I tried to reboot in recovery mode, but the device only rebooted to android. It was at this time that I was understanding my mistake with the backup of the bootloader.

I did another mistake. I retried to install TWRP j7ltespr. I used abd reboot recovery command in linux. Now I am stuck in boot recovery loop. My other option is to reboot in download mode (device button). If I start the device with the power button, the device is trying to boot in recovery anyway.

I am downloading from sammobile the stock rom for SM-J7008. I will find a windows device to install odin and I will reboot to download mode. I will give a try with Heimdall first.
But I am still not sure if it will help me to install the stock recovery. Anyone knows about this ?

After the next step is to compile TWRP for my devices. I don’t know if it is possible yet :smiley:

For your information, once you will restore your phone with Odin and the file from sammobile, everything will be erased. Custom recovery too. And the stock recovery will be installed.

@liochan, does this from SamMobile downloaded StockROM consist of a 1-part or 4-part firmware?

If your system or memory is damaged, it may only be possible to fix it by flashing a 4-part firmware with pit file.

All the firmwares I’ve downloaded from sammobile was one file.

Well, on the website of sammobile they talk about “You should get 5 files”.

sammobile5

Whatever: A download speed of 15 kB/Sec is an imposition even for non-premium members. Therefore I use other faster and free sources.

@Anonyme and @archie thank you a lot for your support.

The file downloaded from sammobile is a .zip archive containing a .tar.md5 - this extension is non-sense - which is another archive containing 12 files including recovery.img

With heimdall and download mode I installed the stock recovery. I could reboot to android and the stock recovery is working again :star_struck:

It didn’t reset my phone with the stock rom, but it is not something really important as the device has no data neither a sim card connected.

So now I will start to read all documentation to compile TWRP for this device :innocent:

Please keep us updated on how the compiling TWRP goes :slight_smile: I think this would be a first for this forum. We usually get users who compile ROM’s for the smartphones.

For now it’s giving me headaches :smiley:
For newbies this kind of tasks aren’t easy. Documentation is lacking, I mean for starting level, you have to already know how things are working, but community support is good. I think it will take a lot of time, but I am still motivated to do that.

1 Like