How many (active) users has /e/os?

Hello,
iam using /e/os since 2 years and iam kinda happy with it. I think for many users it could be interesting to know how many active users has /e/os atm? Regarding the service outage and the official statement/context

" number of murena.io active users has grown a lot during the past two years"

i really wondered what “has grown a lot” means concretly. It could be a nice feature to have something like a live-ticker to know how many people share the same values and the same vision of OS on mobile devices.

Thanks a lot to the team.

Greetings
Alex

2 Likes

Would also be great to see how many devices by manufactures are used (or even by device). I did a lot of unofficial builds and this would be helpful to focus on most popular ones

4 Likes

the prospectus at crowdcube had some numbers as in devices sold, 20k. I guess the other number (44k) is MAU on murena.io - but could be flashed phones instead (seems high?).

There is a unique identifier in the os-updater-check with device info - so murena has a clear idea on devices, versions and active commercial vs freeloading users

Think it would be a good idea just to count the successful downloads for each version on the download server. I guess the number is much bigger than in the monthly polling here in the forum.

Note: this principle needs a concrete limited time span to be comparable, four weeks after a each roll out or so. The rest (which is then not counted, where the download always fails or where the user never updates or whatever) is blur. You have always some blur answering such questions, but you get successfully 99% and that’s good.

This number of successful downloads would long term be representative for the actually used devices excluding sold, but meanwhile decommissioned ones. And over the months it could give a nice graph.

I refuse to collect data directly from the device. That’s why I usually do manual updates, either via adb sideload or, if the option is offered, via Local update. Incidentally, this is also faster.

Counting successful downloads for each version on the download server provides practical data, as @irrlicht has aptly pointed out.