How to get rid of the Google-search?

I’d like to use a search-engine like MetaGer or startpage.com as default on my FP3.
So far I am always offered explicitly a Google-search which I dislike.

Looking in the settings, there seems no option to be existing for that. Instead I get offered - a Google-search.
Any hints?

1 Like

What is your browser ?

In the /e/ native browser, no gogol search proposed
but only 4 choices.

To use alternative, you can set it as bookmark or default home page

As @piero already wrote: in /e/-Browser /e/spot (searx?) is the default search engine. You may choose DuckduckGo, Duckduckgolight or Qwant. Google is not offered.

If you use another browser that allows to add more search-engines (for example Fennec or FOSS Browser) and your prefered one is not included as default you may have a look at the homepage of MetaGer or Startpage how to add it.

For example: Hilfe - MetaGer (> “Ich möchte MetaGer zur Suchmaschinenliste meines Browsers hinzufügen.”)

I’m quite satisfied with the /e/spot search engine in general but sometimes it’s out of order.

For alternative browsers have a look at this privacy friendly suggestions (in German): Empfehlungsecke ⋆ Kuketz IT-Security Blog

@piero: I have the generic /e/ Browser 91.0.4472.158 and Brave 1.32.112.
In fact, when I look for something that is not on the phone, I get explicitly offered a Google-search:

@caos: Brave has startpage in its listings, but I am insecure whether a search in the main screen effects that at all.

Can I disable the generic browser?

if google is the default search in /e/OS anyway, then /e/OS is NOT google free as they mention!
Basically not acceptable.
Must be fixed, Fast

1 Like

To get rid of a system app it does’t has to be uninstalled.
The app only needs to be diabled with:

pm disable-user --user 0 packagename

To bring it back just use:

pm enable packagename

1 Like

I can’t find gogol search in my phone.
Do you ?

It may have been added by @mungo

if it is so, then it’s ok. if mungo was doing the evil thing… :japanese_ogre:

I often find that you are trigger-happy

@kisman172: The order doen’t work on my Linux-machine.
Instead I called

$ adb shell pm disable --user 0 Browser

Exception occurred while executing:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown package: Browser
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setEnabledSetting(PackageManagerService.java:21519)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setApplicationEnabledSetting(PackageManagerService.java:21457)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runSetEnabledSetting(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:1826)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:212)
	at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:104)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:22042)
	at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:881)
	at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:765)
	at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4876)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4110)
	at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1021)
	at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:994)

That doesn’t seem to work.
Maybe I called the wrong definition.
Where do I find the correct specifications?
In “About Browser” it is just called Browser.

Nope, not at all.
I am just citing what the phone tells me.

no, not me…i am harmless

packagename is in -->settings -->applications ;

“foundation.e.browser”

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to work either:

$ adb shell pm disable --user 0 foundation.e.browser
Security exception: Shell cannot change component state for foundation.e.browser/null to 2

java.lang.SecurityException: Shell cannot change component state for foundation.e.browser/null to 2
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setEnabledSetting(PackageManagerService.java:21578)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setApplicationEnabledSetting(PackageManagerService.java:21457)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runSetEnabledSetting(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:1826)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:212)
	at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:104)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:22042)
	at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:881)
	at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:765)
	at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4876)
	at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4110)
	at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1021)
	at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:994)

It doesn’t want to be disabled.^^

Uninstall the App with the command
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 packagename

1 Like

Perhaps Brave brought Google in? I would count this as a serious infection. Uninstalling the innocent party may not be the best road to take.

I am surprised, as I would not have expected that after the browser’s refusal to be disabled:

$ adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 foundation.e.browser
Success

I am quite sure not.
The Google offer on the search field existed long before I installed Brave.
In fact, it was there from day 1.
Today is day 13.

I an unsure of the mechanics of disabling, but as you say, browser is not up for disabling. The uninstall is not a root uninstall anyway, the command is only uninstall for user 0.

I would sooner fix Browse than have Brave - I know you were initially asking for hints for removing Google, if you are not finding a solution, I would rather be thinking of preparing for a factory reset.

Edit, sorry I am crossing with your posts @mungo :slight_smile:

Are you using kiss launcher and using the search bar on that?

If that is what is happening, change the launcher settings for searching.

6 Likes

solution is in the response number 20

2 Likes