How to Optimize Navigation Apps for Accurate qibla direction on /e/ Devices?

I’ve been using /e/OS on my smartphone, and I’ve noticed that while it performs well in most aspects, the accuracy of direction-based apps, especially those used for القبلة اونلاين (qibla direction), can sometimes be a bit off. Accurate direction is crucial, especially for applications like qibla direction, which relies heavily on precise orientation.

My current experience with navigation and direction apps on /e/ devices has been a mixed bag. Some apps work well, but others struggle with providing a reliable qibla direction. I’ve tried several apps that claim to offer accurate direction, but the results vary depending on the environment, location, and even the type of device being used. This inconsistency can be frustrating when trying to determine the qibla direction accurately.

I’ve checked the compass calibration and even ensured that the location settings are precise, but there seems to be something off with how the device handles direction accuracy in certain apps. I’m particularly interested in understanding how I can optimize these apps or the device itself to ensure better accuracy when determining qibla direction.

For example, are there any specific settings in /e/OS that might improve the performance of these apps? Is there a particular app that integrates well with the operating system and provides more reliable direction? Could the problem be related to how the device’s sensors are calibrated, or is it something within the app itself that could be optimized?

Furthermore, how does the /e/OS handle navigation and directional tools compared to other Android-based systems? Are there known limitations or settings within /e/OS that could affect the accuracy of direction-based apps, particularly those used for qibla direction? I’m curious to hear about others’ experiences and any tips or tricks that could help enhance the accuracy of navigation apps for this specific purpose.

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if there are specific apps, settings, or techniques that have worked well for other /e/ users in ensuring accurate qibla direction.

From https://qiblafind.net/ I see that

Modern digital Qibla compasses leverage geolocation and orientation sensors to provide accurate directions

You are probably aware that a large part of geolocation comes from gps but Google devices use also Network Location, with various proprietary helpers.

/e/OS uses microG to provide Network Location, and this happens to be in a state of flux at the moment.

In the this post Feedback for v2.2 - #80 by AnotherElk an experienced user shares the Settings he uses with microG and location. This may be a good way to walk through the environment and see what is different from regular Google and whether you can optimise the settings you use.

A second suggestion is to install the app My Location. If you open it in a few locations, you can check the accuracy of GPS and Network Location, to perhaps see if Network location is having a good or negative affect on accuracy of position, thereby affecting direction. The My Location page also links to Backends · microg/UnifiedNlp Wiki · GitHub, again the status of these backends may be in flux, but you could try one or two, very much one by one, to see if My Location detects them and benefits from them.

It’s probably also device related, almost al older devices, say 2018/2019 and older, have an single-frequency GNSS reciever.
Some newer devices have dual-frequency GNSS, not all so you have to do some research, they receive twice as much satellite signals, so should be much more accurate.

https://www.xda-developers.com/dual-frequency-gnss-important-location-feature-your-phone-probably-missing/

And a little longer list at Smartphones/ Tablets