How to pass "rebooting in bootloader mode" in Easy Installer

The forum doesn’t allow me to copy paste my logs because new users can’t paste >2 url’s :frowning:

I pasted my logs in this file: http://www.online-toolz.com/tools/online-notepad-and-text-editor.php

Looks like the “Share” functionality of this online-toolz collection just shares the URL to the editor, not to the text you typed there.

@aibd it seems like I’m not allowed to post links in here. I’ve tried to paste my logs inside a reply but I’m having the error ‘new users can not post more than 2 links within a reply’. Also tried to paste the logs inside a external URL but then my comment gets reported as spam. Do you have any suggestions about how to share this with you?

I am not certain, but if I mention a moderator, @Manoj, and you mention him in your reply, perhaps your links will come through. Be sure to use https://haste.tchncs.de/, known to work here. :slight_smile:

@aibd @Ingo_FP_Angel second try, can you guys see my link? https://sharetext.me/dqdgjpngxz

1 Like

Thanks @underdog, seen and converted: https://haste.tchncs.de/seqeqozafu.yaml

Did you experience any difficulty with the OEM unlock stage? or is 169 lines different to what you thought you pasted?

@aibd The Easy installer asked me to turn on OEM unlock, so I did and clicked allow on my device. I did also turn on USB debugging and file transfer within usb settings. The last line of my log code is correct and corresponds with what I’m seeing in the Easy installer software log window.

Thank you, @underdog, for documenting this well. I will step back for now as far as East Installer is concerned, but will be sure to check the thread this evening! :slight_smile:

Thanks @aibd, we keep in touch!

The log is consistent with the easy installer waiting forever to see the phone in fastboot mode.
But I don’t really know what might be causing this (except of course the trivial explanation that it isn’t in fastboot mode :wink: ).

Your computer OS is Ubuntu, right? Which version?

Can you try the following while the phone is in fastboot mode

sudo /snap/easy-installer/18/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/adb/fastboot devices

Also, when the phone is in fastboot mode, is there a line in the output of lsusb that corresponds to the phone?

Yes, I’m using Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS 64-bit running on a macbook pro (intel) macOS Big Sur version 11 using Virtualbox.

I’ve tested the lsusb command with and without fastboot mode activated on the phone, these are the results:

Normal mode:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0e8d:201d MediaTek Inc. GS290
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Fastboot mode:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

The command “sudo /snap/easy-installer/18/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/adb/fastboot devices” returned nothing :frowning_face:

Might as well be a Mac OS or VirtualBox problem (or the combination of both) as the phone isn’t even seen on USB level inside the VM. :frowning:

On a physical linux machine I have those entries for an FP2

normal

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 05c6:6769 Qualcomm, Inc. 

fastboot mode

Bus 001 Device 010: ID 18d1:d00d Google Inc.

I thought so at first but it seems that this problem only occurs when the phone is in fastboot. With a normal phone connection (using adb devices without fastboot mode) I have no problems. I have also tried Parallels desktop in addition to Virtualbox and get the same results. Are you sure my problem is in the virtual machine?

In my experience sure might not get an answer in a forum! But @Ingo_FP_Angel what do you make of the 3 warnings
Input stream must not be null
in the top 20 lines?

I said it’s either Mac OS, Virtual Box or a combination of both. :wink:
But then, it could also be a Gigaset thing, I don’t know.

My best idea right now would be to install adb and fastboot on Mac OS and see if fastboot devices returns anything without the additional layer of a VM. If the host already has the problem, I doubt there’s anything you could do from inside the VM.

You took me on the right path @Ingo_FP_Angel, thanks!

I did figure out that I must add/attach the USB (phone) device twice to the Virualbox settings. In normal mode and in fastboot mode. Now my device was detected in fastboot mode and went through the next stage of Easy Installer.

I clicked yes to unlock the bootloader and then it started the ‘USB transfering’ process. After the installation bar was at 100% my phone kept saying ‘USB transfering…’. This took on for more than one hour. I decided to restart the device holding volume up and power which turned me into the setup stage of the stock android. No /e/ on the device.

I’ve pasted my log in here: https://haste.tchncs.de/udekeyojov.yaml

Do you have any thoughts based on the new log? Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: video of device can be found here https://jmp.sh/9Q14rMh

The step where the log does not proceed corresponds to

fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification boot boot.img

The only other topics I found that contained the same text (“Rewriting vbmeta struct at offset: 9797632”) are

But in both cases the problem was a locked bootloader, which was shown as an error message.
That shouldn’t affect you as the log shows a successful unlock.

Unfortunately I have no GS290 experience and no idea what to do here.
Looks like the installer is not able to flash files to the phone. It doesn’t seem to even start the transfer.

Thanks for translating the logs. At least we are one step further and know that the problem is in starting the file transfer.

@aibd do you maybe have any clue about what is going on up here?

That is really cool having a video. My brain is just processing that, saying it has a jump to make with lk.img.
:thinking:
Edit, and @underdog, we are using Easy Installer version is v0.12.2-bêta?

Probably a red herring, I briefly read the changelog previously, @Ingo_FP_Angel, nothing changed in the order of play?

Edit, with no answer, I would desist from using Easy Installer.
Do all you can to check your phone is running correctly.
To my mind both logs stop unexpectedly, without reporting the error.

The problem has been solved. Here is the documentation for anyone running Linux in Virtualbox on Mac:

For installing the latest version of ADB and Fastboot in Ubuntu check this video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZDinK5zEtM
In the video you can see Kali Linux but the commands are the same as for Ubuntu.

For connecting your device to Virtualbox the right way follow these steps:

1. Go to the settings of your Linux virtual machine (in Virtualbox)
  2. Click on ports
  3. Add your phone as USB device by clicking the usb + icon.
  4. Restart your phone in fastboot mode (hold volume up + power).
  5. Add your USB device again. You will see it has a different name. Add it without deleting the other one.
  6. Download the latest version of the VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack on your mac and install it.
  7. Go to the settings of your Linux VM once again and click the ports menu.
  8. A toggle appears. Switch from USB 1.1 to USB 3.0

Install Easy Installer using the instructions here on the website and you are ready to go!

@Ingo_FP_Angel @aibd Thanks again for your help! I have been using /e/ for half a day and it blows my mind. Awesome OS!

3 Likes