How to update my FP3 to a later version?

Using my FP3 for 3 years now, pretty good experience and until April 2022, I regularly received updates from e/OS, although never anything with a more recent Android version, still on v9.

I wonder how I should upgrade to something more recent. Is there a way for an OTA update without loosing all my data?

I’m on e/OS 0.23 right now!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Not yet. It is planned with no timeline, see Week 31, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates, section “OS OTA upgrades”.

This is a manual installation for now, including a data wipe by default … https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3.
Be aware that Android 11 (R) is still beta currently, so the Easy Installer would install Android 10 (Q).

Support for Android 9 (Pie) got dropped with /e/OS 1.0, see Week 29, 2022: Development and Testing Updates, section “End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie” (although first announced in week 23), and Google dropped security update support for Android 9 months ago, so don’t expect much to happen anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks @AnotherElk for the great explanation. Restoring my data after a full re-install is not an issue. I’m only worried about the banking apps, not sure if they need to be re-registered afterwards - that would be a pain.

What gets wiped will be the data partition (aka userdata). This partition includes all user data as well as all Apps installed by the user and their data. The phone will need to be set up from scratch.