How to upgrade FP3?

Dear Community,

I have a FP3 with /e/OS version 1.15 on Android 10.
Since November, I did not received OTA updates and only understood today that’s because there isnot more support for android 10.

How can I update my FP3 then? I need to reinstall all from scratch (i.e I will loose the app and I have to do a full backup of my apps?).

Thank you

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hello @Padey. First thing every helper would need to know is the build you have.

Please check this wiki:

After knowing that the next steps can be suggested.

1 Like

Thank you for helping me to set the problem properly.

Here the infos: android 10
Build number: e_FP3-user 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20221031.174702 dev-keys,dev-releae

The HowTo was improved just now, let’s try this again :wink:

1 Like

Sure!

I have a problem with the v1.6 update on my phone
About phone: FP3
/e/OS version: 1.5-q-20221031230909-dev-FP3
Android 10
Problem description: i do not receive anymore OTA update since I am still havin Android 10. Question is, how can I update to a new version of Android? Do I have to restart from scract (i.e I will have to reinstall all apps, etc.) or do I have an alternative?

1 Like

Since you are on ‘dev’ you are kind off lucky. You can sideload the version you need to be up to date. It is called ‘dirty flash’. You will install over your current the newer version. Since with everything issue can happen I suggest yo make backups of your digital data you do not wanna lose. Haning backups shouldmbe a daily routine…

Are you familiar with sideloading?

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help!

I am absolutely not familiart with sideloading, Could you describe the procedure?

Here’s the guide for it:
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/upgrade
Just write if you have further questions or look ui up in the forum. It is a popular topic at the moment :smiley:

Thank you very much!

To questions to be sure I will limit the risks:

• adb sideload /path/to/zip ->>> /path/to/zip is without special characters to introduce the path (", or '?
  • on the page to download the update version, I can choose btw R and S version, should I take the S version?

No Problem at all :smiley:

Hmm, not sure. I use it on linux and there I open the terminal from the path where the file is and write: adb sideload e-1.8.1-s-20230203257074-dev-FP3.zip

If you want to stay on ‘dev’ then I would suggest to take S. If you think about switching to ‘stable’ then please consider that with a locked bootloader you won’t be able to sideload and are dependant on the developers to offer OS OTA upgrades. Difference between ‘dev’ and ‘stable’ are as mentioned sideloading and also some backup solutions availability, Banking apps working or others, etc. I suggest you serach the forum. There are alot fo discusions about that available

1 Like

Padey,

R is android 11 and s is android 12. At first I liked r better until I explored some more and I really like s, but that is personal preference. I think being at 12 or s will get you longer security updates too.

The other thing with R is, they will stop building (maintaining) it since S is available. In the weekly updates it has been mentioned

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your help and your support!
I took a bit of time to answer since I had to find a time slot for the upgrade.
I made it just right now and it worked well.

i had a bit of pressure since the update percentage on the windows command line stayed at 47% for a while but then the FP3 restarted…

all it just fine.

Thank you again

1 Like