[HOWTO] an Unified Install Guide Project for /e/

I have installed /e/ in my xiaomi A1, everything was right, as in the instructions, except that unlocking was simpler than in the instructions. it’s a pity I didn’t read it before, it would have spared some time.
I have one question: should I/can I lock the uploader again after installing /e/ or is it necessary to be unlocked to load updates?
thanks!

YOU CAN’T !
risk is bricking your device.

Wait, do i understand you correctly - we should not lock the bootloader after installing /e/ beacuse there is arisk of bricking the device? Any device or just some?

yes all devices exept Fairphone 3 and 4

1 Like

Good tutorial! Thank you!

I started to wonder one thing: is custom recovery really necessary for sideloading through adb? When i go into stock recovery (Note 10+), there is an alternative of choosing ‘sideload through adb’, or something like that. But i guess that would be too easy? Device would brick?

only offficial samsung stuff are allowed by stock recovery
it will just don’t work for any custom binaries

1 Like

Figured something like that.

Can you then flash stock rom through adb with twrp or e-recovery installed?

i have never experienced this way, i always used Odin for stock firmware
(i never boot my computer to windows except for that task)

2 Likes

Locking the bootloader after installing /e/OS is possible on more devices than just Fairphones 3/3+ and 4.

In general locking the bootloader after installing /e/OS is possible for a device if the command line install instructions for the device available via https://doc.e.foundation/devices include this step.
How to avoid bricking the device (if that risk exists) should be included in those instructions, too, the Fairphone 4 instructions are an example for this.

1 Like

I think i quite well know the logic of samsug decices (that are typical), but i cannot speak further about others familly of devices (fastboot), so, some parts of the guide are empty…

please improve those parts ! for example :

Hello,

It would be nice to write in the installation guide that an orange warning message will remain after installation and that it is not a problem.
It would avoid unnecessary worry !
Thanks

1 Like

Hi, I try to install e/os on my galaxy tab4.
I could install the recovery-e and use it to install e-1.16-r-20231107-UNOFFICIAL-matisselte.zip

everything is ok.
But at the end of this final step:

9) Install the image of /e/OS on the ROM of your device without computer, from the “custom recovery manager” using the SDcard method

when Reboot the device now”, I do not see e/os rebooting but the default page (Samsung Galaxy tab4 powered by android) with message in yellow "Set Warranty Bit : kernel.
and the tablet try to reboot several time like this.

it is the same issue when I try adb method in command line, with this error message at then end :
serving: ‘e-1.16-r-20231107-UNOFFICIAL-matisselte.zip’ (~47%) adb: failed to read command: No error

Could someone explain me what happens and how to fix it?

thanks in advance
Regards : Yael

hello @Yael, welcome to this forum.

1. have you tried a factory-reset at this step ?
    or
  2. install latest /e/ version
  1. are you sure your Samsung Firmware was latest ?
    https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-T535
  2. are you sure to have a SM-T535 model ? and not a SM-T537.
Galaxy Tab4 List
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 matissewifigoogle SM-T530NN
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.0 matisse3g SM-T531
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.0 matisselte SM-T535
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.0 matisselteatt SAMSUNG-SM-T537A
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.0 matisselteusc SM-T537R4
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.0 matisseltevzw SM-T537V
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.1 matisse10wifikx SM-T536
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.1 matissevewifi SM-T533
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.1 matissewifi SM-T530
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.1 matissewifi SM-T530X
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.1 matissewifikx SM-T530
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.1 matissewifiue SM-T530NU
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7 degasy18wifi SM-T230NZ
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 403SC 403SC
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degas2wifi SM-T230NW
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degas2wifibmwchn SM-T230NW
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degas3g SM-T231
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degas3g SM-T232
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaslte SM-T235
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaslte SM-T235Y
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degasltespr SM-T237P
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degasltevzw SM-T237V
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degasvelte SM-T239
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degasvelte SM-T2397
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degasvelte SM-T239M
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degasveltechn SM-T239C
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaswifi SM-T230
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaswifi SM-T230NY
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaswifi SM-T230X
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaswifibmwzc SM-T230NY
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaswifidtv SM-T230NT
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaswifiopenbnn SM-T230NU
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 degaswifiue SM-T230NU
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 millet3g SM-T331
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletlte SM-T335
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletlteatt SAMSUNG-SM-T337A
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletltektt SM-T335K
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletltelgt SM-T335L
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletltetmo SM-T337T
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletltevzw SM-T337V
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletwifi SM-T330
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0 milletwifiue SM-T330NU
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Active rubenslte SM-T365
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Active rubenslte SM-T365M
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Active rubensltekx SM-T365F0
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Active rubenswifi SM-T360
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Active rubenswifichn SM-T360
Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Nook 10.1 matissewifiopenbnn SM-T530NU

Hi Piero

Thanks a lot for your quick answer that will help me to go to the next steps .
I’m so impatient to see e-os running on my tab and to try it.

1 - Yes I did a factory with recovery-e as explained in the Howto.
2 - No i did you used the latest version you gave in your answer —> so I will use it
3 - No I’m not sure. I realize I did not pay enough attention to this step —> so I will check it
4 - Yes I’m sure it is SM-T535 model, it is what i see on the screen in odin mode
line 2 of your Galaxy Tab4 List

Thanks a lot Piero , and I’ll keep you innformed of the next steps.

Regards
Yael

Hi Piero it’s me again.

And again thanks a lot!
It works now! :slight_smile:
And I’m proud to be a e/os ambassador .

Regards.
Yael

1 Like

i understand that you don’t have fully installed adb and fastboot by adding them to your path (that could be a little bit tricky when not power user)
i propose to work together to found a way to include the case of using adb and fastboot from the extracted folder…

1. i need to change the steps order to install the tools before downloading the build

DONE !

• (download time was the reason why i putted download first… but it is more logic now…)
  1. indentify the passage to modify

I probably was not clear with what I tried to describe …
Not 100% sure but Yes I installed the tools properly from what I can tell and from the description of steps to follow for installation (I did not have to confirm being admin/power user or else)

I can look at it from two sides:
I can either copy the files to where the adb + fastboot is installed
that´s what I did in the first place - because I had not understood that I can as well simply start the command tool in the folder where the files are downloaded anyways.
That may sound odd to anexperienced adb/fastboot user - still it makes sense to me :slight_smile:
Does that clarify?

it may also be of interest that I did also install adb via 15 Seconds ADB Installer- maybe that explains it ?

debian/ubuntu users can use apt install that include it in the path (even it is a quite old version) but for others (especially Windows and macOS users), “Platform Tools” comes as a .ZIP, when extracted, it become a simple folder from where the terminal must be openned and “Platform Tools” is not include in the app menu of the system as a classical app
it is important to take that in consideration…
so advising to put the recovery and the /e/ build into it is a very good thing !
i am in searching where and how to specify it…

1 Like

Thanks a lot @piero for taking the time to maintain this in such a dedicated manner.
I recalled what I did and I think now I better understand the ramifications:

On a Windows 10-machine: I unpacked the SDK as described here: https://doc.e.foundation/pages/install-adb-windows
But I skipped the Adding adb path to the environment variables-part.

Instead I installed 15 Seconds ADB Installer (which probably made unpacking the SDK files unnecessary)

(I also installed Universal ADB Drivers for Windows - but I hihgly doubt that was necessary after the 15-seconds…-thing…)

My guess now is that the installation of the 15 Seconds ADB Installer did something similar to the above mentioned Adding adb path to the environment variables-part for unpacked SDK.

And I suspect that’s why I’m able to shift + right-click into any folder (that contains the downloaded files for flashing, for example) and select from the menu to launch a powershell window in that folder that accepts adb and fastboot commands.

(which in turn makes the ‘put the necessary files into the adb-installation-folder’ part redundant… though perhaps not for those who just unpacked the SDK but skipped the add adb path to environment variables part).

I think that is a good tutorial for installing /e/OS on a compatible device. My problem is simplier because I have a Murena One. There is a menu to restore to original configuration. But are they some tips to know ?
thanks