[HOWTO] How much space do I need to build for /e/?

You would need up to 140 GB for the source code files and about 250 GB empty on your hard disk to help with the build process.
A screen shot from a build server

Please note it is normal for build machines to be resource hungry …the more the RAM, Hard Disk empty space and the better the processor the faster will be the build.
Please cross check with the build specifications as given on the Android site here

1 Like

as a suggestion from one of the linked threads here - it can be economical to rent a vps at hetzner / ovh / digitalocean / scaleway for a few hours, especially as they have good network connections to create your own build. It will be <1€. Most allow for attachable storage to fulfil the 400G requirement. Mind though: some machine types do not encourage high cpu usage.

I recently used an OVH b2-60 Public Cloud instance - 60 GB RAM, 16 vCores (2.3 GHz), 400 GB SSD, 1,000 Mbit/s bandwidth- to make an /e/ build. Took about 6 hours, including initial repo sync Total cost was £3.15 (€3.70) inc VAT. More than the amount you quoted, but still great value :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a total of 390 GB.
For the record, as recent experiments showed, 360 GB is an absolute minimum to build 0.18 Q.

I don’t think so.
I’ll say, between 3 and 6 € (VAT included).

Also, if using Docker please be aware that some cheap cloud VM won’t support it.

It seems a bit long for such a server (and time is money :wink: ).
What was the method used ?
Did you keep the logs ?

I had written this post way back when Oreo was the latest OS !! I am sure the latest specs will be different…There was an old thread we had which shared some cloud based options
I have an old gmail ID which I used to create a free cloud VM . Those options are best for users with space or device restrictions.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me ! :slight_smile:

Lucky you :blush:

The OVH Cloud instances definitely do support Docker

I may have built for a couple of devices. The ‘6 hours’ comes from the invoice, and reflects the time the instance was available. I usually set cloud builds off overnight and check progress in the morning, so it’s quite possible that the build completed quicker than that.

I don’t remember whether this was a Docker build or not.

I didn’t keep the logs (because the build completed successfully with no problems) but I did make a note at the time that the b2-60 instance was ‘blindingly fast’ compared to lower-powered cloud instances, and especially compared to my home build machine.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback ! :blush:

This is new : a v0.18-Q Docker build (chiron) now takes more than 400GB of disk space !

(note : I kept out dir content, to estimate full used disk space after build done)

1 Like