[HOWTO] Use the Account Manager

Note: Documentation in this section is Work in progress. Help us update it. Help us make /e/ better !!

Features

• Add your /e/ account to the phone. This would in turn sync up your emails, contacts and data stored on the ecloud
  • Easily add your gmail,webDAV and other accounts. (Please note Microsoft Exchange support is still not available on /e/OS)

To access Account Manager Screen

Settings >> Accounts >> Add accounts

add_accounts

Please note : The telegram and whatsapp accounts showing up in the screenshot appear after the apps have been installed on the phone separately.

• Select the account you want to add. For e.g. if you have not select /e/ Account during setup you can add the account from this screenshot

To add an /e/ Account

- Select /e/ account

account_manager_e_account

• Select details as your /e/ email ID and password. Important: Add account details in small character not in caps for /e/ ID.

To add a Gmail account

- Select the Google option

account_manager_gmail_account

• Please note this will open up a browser windows where you can enter your gmail credentials

Troubleshooting

How to resolve Sync errors on your /e/OS ?

To get your data to sync again, please follow the steps listed below:

On Oreo versions of /e/

Remove your /e/ account (System Settings > Users & accounts > [your /e/ account] > Remove account)

Add your /e/ account back (System Settings > Users & accounts > Add account > /e/)

On Nougat versions of /e/

Remove your /e/ account (System Settings > Accounts > /e/ > [your /e/ account] > 3 dot menu > Remove account)
Add your /e/ account back (System Settings > Accounts > Add account > /e/)
If you get a notification requesting some permissions, click on it and grant all requested permissions
  • For Google accounts, follow the steps mentioned above and replace “[your /e/ account]” with [your Google account] and “/e/” with Google.

How to access CalDAV and CardDAV

• On a Nextcloud account?

You can access CalDAV and CardDAV of your Nextcloud account the following way:
    Settings → Accounts → Add account → WebDAV → Login with URL and user name.

• Configuring the access to the E-Mails of your own mail provider is done in the Mail App:

Open Mail App → Three Dots in the top right corner → Add account.

WebDAV Address book or WebDAV [Read this post] (WebDAV Address book or WebDAV - #5 by nihar1024)

About the Project
/e/OS Account Manager is a fork of DAVdroid.

Project Source Code

Readme Location

Third Party Libraries Used
> these libraries are used by DAVdroid)
Ambilwarna
Apache License, Version 2.0
dnsjava
BSD License
ez-vcard
New BSD License
iCal4j
New BSD License
okhttp
Apache License, Version 2.0
Project Lombok
MIT License

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

3 Likes

Please explain how to change the password for the /e/ account.

I changed my password on ecloud and syncs started failing on the phone. Fine, but there is no way to fix the password on the phone. I followed the instructions above and removed the account. The warning was scary, but I proceeded and then recreated the account. The syncs started running again but I’ve obviously lost some information along the way. The one thing I’ve seen so far is that I lost all favorite markings in Contacts. Are there other things I should worry about?

There’s got to be a better way to do this. Is there an ongoing issue filed?

You can report this issue about this loss or about the fact Account Manager doesn’t ask for the new password by opening an Issue in our gitlab.

Cannot get Gogol Calendar to sync reliably. Removed and re-created my account in Account Manager several times already.

Directly after creating the Gogol account, Sync works. I can trigger it manually from Settings-Accounts--Account Sync-three dot-Sync now.
After creating a new appointment in /e/ Calendar, Sync begins to fail . The new appointment also does not appear in Gogol’s web Calendar.

Have considered the /e/ account, but creating it is not possible atm (server migration issues).

Any hints warmly welcomed!

@Manoj,

first thanks for the post.
I would have some questions, remarks & improvement requests (if possible).

I added an /e/ account (the first one, not the Adress Book /e/ account).
When I did that (without any issue), my /e/ account appeared in the list of accounts. But not only as you can see below:

What I don’t understand is that in my /e/ account, if I select it, I see all the stuffs I can sync and in the list, I see contacts.
But, after few seconds I added my /e/ account, other accounts had been automatically added: default /e/ Adress Book & another adress book I created for a test in ecloud environment (named “Backup_Phone” as you can see).
So here my question is: why do you create 2 accounts (or even more if another address book exist)? For me it’s confusing mostly when you see that in Backup-Phone and Contact accounts, you have just one thing synced: adress books…

In addition, if I select each account, I have the same options:

• account synchronization
  • My account
    If you select My account in any account (/e/ account, Contacts or Backup_Phone) you arrive to these pages:

It’s still a little bit confusing, considering in addition that in each account created, you have a button to delete the account… but which one? just the adress book or the default /e/ account with the whole sync possibilities? Fortunately, only the account you select, not all the 3 accounts (in my case).
But that is weird when you go at the last step to manage the account, because, while you deleted, the adress book account is still enabled here:

And if you select the sync button at the bottom right of the picture on the right just above, the adress book account deleted in the first page of account reappears… it’s quite confusing for me…

So for me, when an /e/ account is added, the address book accounts should not be created/added.
In addition, it would be good to simplify the workflow to go at the last page of settings for /e/ account management.
Today, you have 5 levels!

Is it not too much??

Thanks for your replies & feedback and I hope I didn’t miss anything too much evident which would make my post irrelevant…

1 Like

Just I forgot something about that screen:

You don’t have horizontal arrow to go back to the previous screen because of the 3 horizontal stacked lines at the top left.
And so, just for the screen, you have to use the back button unlike the 4 other screens…
For a UX point of view, it would be better to move the 3 horizontal staked line to the right and replaced lines by dots and add an arrow to go back to the previous screen…
Something like that:

1 Like

Mine (1.2 R on Xiaomi MiMix2) shows the bottom line with the soft buttons …
Did you try to swipe up from bottom ?

@smu44,
I tried right now ans unfortunately on my Samsung A5 (with Q 1.2), that doesn’t show anything
Even if that would work, i think it’s not the best from a UX point of view

Hello,

I agree with @MIB, the number of levels tend to make account management confusing some time.

Also, when I have a look in “My account” information for my e.email account in Settings, I find that it has not been updated for a while (data usage info is super old). Any idea why?

On the other hand, everything syncs well (Agenda, Mails etc).

@MaMaTT88,
on my side, no issue with the data usage info. I just don’t use so much cloud…

@MIB:
Do you know that?

2 Likes

Hi @PraksuQ,

good catch!!
for the moment it’s planned for v1.4.
Do we have a plan too to refactor the different panels of the account manager? Indeed 5 is clearly too much?
I didn’t find anything in Gitlab about that.
Perhaps I would have to create another improvement query?

There are parts of the ROM I never pay much attention to. After setting up my phone from scratch, again, I only just now noticed two menu options in Account Manager: WebDAV Mount and Web Calendar Manager.

The former is a part of DAVx5 but since I haven’t used that app in a long time on other ROMs I was unaware of it. Been using EteSync.

Web Calendar Manager is ICSx5. I had no idea it was integrated. There have been a few posts asking for integration but I didn’t see any followups or noticed in Release Notes. How long has it been there?
ICSx5 gets installed on all ROMs but now I can remove it from /e/ devices.

WebDAV Mount turns out to be quite useful. Ability to access cloud storage without need for third party apps.
I added my MyDrive.ch account and now it is available to the system via Files/DocumentsUI.
Useful even for eCloud I’d wager, especially if general access is all that’s required. No need for Nextcloud app.

4 Likes

nice! the webdav mount endpoint for Nextclouds (Murena) is documented at Accessing Nextcloud files using WebDAV — Nextcloud latest User Manual latest documentation

https://yournextclouddomain.com/remote.php/dav/files/YOURUSERNAME/
2 Likes