[HOWTO] Use the BlissLauncher

Note: Documentation in this section is Work in progress. Help us update it. Help us make /e/ better !!

bliss_launcher_widgetscreen bliss_launcher_mainscreen

Features

• SEARCH — typing the first character will display if the app is already installed on the phone else fetch its reference on the web
  • APP SUGGESTIONS — the top 4 most used apps on the phone will show up in this widget
  • WEATHER — This widget is installed by default . The weather widget needs to be configured the first time the OS is set up to start showing the local weather. The weather widget cannot be removed as of now.
  • EDIT — This button allows the addition of more widgets to the screen
  • App Icons are easily accessible on the screen
  • Little or no learning curve for a user who wants to use the /e/OS
  • Easily uninstall non — system apps
  • One place for having important widgets like weather info or emails.
  • Swipe down on any screen for searching apps
  • Notification badge which inform if there are pending notifications in any app.
    How to use the Bliss Launcher app

Understanding the Main Screen

• The Bliss Launcher display all the available apps on the screen
  • This easy to use UI ensures almost little or no learning curve for the UN-initiated.

How to install new apps

• The installation is done by accessing the Apps Installer
  • Once the apps are installed they will show up on the Screen

To delete a non system app on the BlissLauncher

bliss_launcher_deleteapps

• Long press a non-system app
  • This will make all the apps jiggle
  • Apps that can be uninstalled will have a small ‘-’ minus sign on top right of the icon
  • Tap the ‘-’ sign on the app you want to uninstall
  • Select OK in the pop up which will ask you to confirm the uninstall request
  • The app will be uninstalled when you press OK
  • A toast appears with the message that the App has been uninstalled.

About the Project

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

5 Likes

In the settings under /e/ OS you can empty the cache for each app individually. This also applies to the Bliss Launcher. This can sometimes help to eliminate malfunctions or false indications.

Here’s how it works to reset the Bliss Launcher: Go to …

Settings > Apps > Bliss Launcher > Storage > Clear storage | Clear cache

bliss1 bliss2

“Clear storage” also removes unwanted “placeholders” if the shortcut is left as a space after uninstalling.

5 Likes

Please :
How to hide or unhide an application icone ?
How to create an empty page on bliss default screem ?

Both are not possible as of today…or to put it more precisely with the current launcher build.
A complete revision of the code of the BlissLauncher is underway. You can add these suggestion on gitlab and add it to the developers TODO list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Manoj Why is there a complete revision of the BlissLauncher? What happened?

2 Likes

When we started development of the launcher it was a basic design. Over the last two years we added thousands of users - critics and admirers of the launchers. We got a massive list of bugs and an equally impressive list of feature suggestions. To accommodate these features and resolve the bugs requires a complete refactoring of the source code. This is work in progress right now. No ETA’s as yet.

5 Likes

@Manoj
Hello,

I would like to add a text file shortcut in the desktop but i have not found thé way.

There is any option in bliss (or elsewhere un /e/) to do that?
Where can i found the desktop directory in the file three?

I m running /e/0.11_202008
:pushpin:thanks

Hello, you can’t do this, unless you find a file manager that allows you to create a shortcut for a file.

@Anonyme
Thanks for your reply .

Do you think its possible to add manually in command line some file on thé desktop?

Any suggestion for safe file manager able to do that? (But i would prefer a manual solution)
I vé the original /e/FM and an other called Gradle i think , but no shortcut option :

(There is one or many Anonyme helper profile in /e/community?)

:hammer_and_wrench:Thanks for each anonyme answer.

Maybe it’s possible, but sounds complicated.

I found this howto, you could try. Might not be FOSS though.

Yes there is only me, it’s my pseudonym.

@Anonyme
Thanks for all your reply.

I’ll prosecute in thé french forum where i’ve open for first this topic :

https://community.e.foundation/t/gerer-app-system-demarrage-arriere-plan-fermeture/21075/10
:speech_balloon:

I am trying to setup weather on the Bliss launcher on a moto g7. I have added the Open Weather api key yesterday but it still lists as pending verification.
I cleared the Bliss Launcher cache also.
I have verified the email I used to create the Open Weather account. I can use a separate weather app but thought it would be good to troubleshoot this in case it is a wider issue.
Here are my settings

1 Like

Normally no API key is needed.

Just clear data of OpenWeatherMap to reset it, make sure Bliss Launcher has the location permission and the weather should be displayed on the widget.

Hi @oreillypt which version of the /e/OS are you running ? This issue has been reported on the Q builds.
As you can see in the screenshot from a test chiron Mi Mix2 devices

1 Like

Hi @Manoj

I have this version. I cleared data cache storage for Open Weather Map and that does not seem to work. Ah so an existing issue on the q build.

Bliss Launcher has Location permission too.

1 Like

Thought I would add this error on the weather app widget.

Enabling location makes no difference.

Open Weather now working after v0.12~ 83843 update.

Thanks! After uninstalling Island, I had a spaceholder for the clone of the Files app. After clear storage / clear data, it was gone.

Hint :
Wiping Bliss Launcher’s cache will reset the order of the icons on the screen and sort them alphabetically ! :slight_smile:

After some time of looking for information, I decided to put my question into this topic. Hope it directly relates to BlissLauncher - I just learned about that name here.
While I was trying to rearrange icons on “home screen”, I accidentally combined two apps into one “folder” (would I call this an “app folder”?) and now I can’t find a way to remove them, not able to bring individual apps back to home screen. There was no intuitive way to solve it (moving and deleting apps is very easy and intuitive, though). Here a screenshot, thx for helping:

Edit: I found another post mentioning that particular problem (and linking to gitlab for issue reporting), but there seems to be no real answer, just a “workaround” mentioned. The topic is from August 2020: App folders bug - #4 by Rik

1 Like