Uninstall Weather App and Widget

Hi,
can I uninstall the app “Weather”? If not so, how can I remove the widget “WEATHER” in the left pane (below “APP SUGGESTIONS”, I dont know how to call this view correctly)? I have no need for the app, much less the widget.

3 Likes

No the widget can’t be removed, it’s hardcoded into Bliss. I’ve creates a version without it here pass bliss. The weather app can be uninstalled using this command: pm uninstall -k --user 0 foundation.e.weather Or you can do it using TWRP and delete it.

Thank you for your fast and especially precise answer.

I will play it slowly and take some time to fully digest it. I understood that there is “Bliss” that is responsible for what I see when I switch on the phone, including the widget on the left view.

The pm-call returned with an hard error. But before dig into that, I need to do some basics.

The app “Terminal” is not an option for a shell. I can neither go back within the line, nor go to previous command by typing arrow up. I guess what I need is a way to log into my phone from my linux desktop or, alternatively, install a reasonable terminal app.

O yes, you need to do adb root and adb shell first, then the pm command.

You can reset it by removing the location permission of BlissLauncher and clear cache of BlissLauncher.
It will look like this :

On my Galaxy S7 “herolte” I’ve removed the e.foundation Weather App as follows.

I’m using these Android SDK platform tools “ADB and Fastboot” on my Wind°ws host machine.

With the command prompt or Powershell (as administrator) I call ADB:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\ADB>adb version

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 30.0.0-6374843
Installed as C:\ADB\adb.exe

C:\ADB>adb devices

daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
7007007007 unauthorized

When this message is displayed, a confirmation must be made on your phone. Then again …

C:\ADB>adb devices

List of devices attached
7007007007 device

Now there is a connection between the host machine and the Android phone

Now enter the following ADB commands:

adb shell
pm list packages|grep -i weather

The result should be:

package:org.lineageos.openweathermapprovider
package:foundation.e.weather
package:org.cyanogenmod.weatherservice
package:org.cyanogenmod.weather.provider

Now uninstall these four applications for user 0 (owner):

pm uninstall -k --user 0 org.lineageos.openweathermapprovider
pm uninstall -k --user 0 foundation.e.weather
pm uninstall -k --user 0 org.cyanogenmod.weatherservice
pm uninstall -k --user 0 org.cyanogenmod.weather.provider

Now the /e/ weather app and icon is removed.
If the icon is still visible, you can→ clear BlissLauncher cache.

For further information only → disable apps

2 Likes

Thank you all. I understand that order to maintain the android device I need the tool adb installed on my pc and thats the way to do cmdline maintenance of the android device. So I have familiarize myself with adp.

Meanwhile I installed “termux” on my android device, I am pleased with that, but it is apparently not the mean to install or uninstall apps. It rather seems to provide and give access to some sort of linux subsystem on the device.

I go into adb but not today. I come back to your answers soon.

After a little reading I could connect to the phone via usb and adb and follow your instructions. Everything went fine and now there is no weather app nor widget.

For some reason, the pm uninstall did not work on first trial. I reconnected and then second try, this time stating with foundation.e.weather, was successful. I couldn’t figure it out but I guess I did something wrong with the first trial.

The placeholder “WEATHER” is still there even though I cleared storage data and cache of “Bliss Launcher” and rebooted. But that’s ok. Tanks again, this was good start with adb.

Does the weather app get reinstalled during an OS update?

No, Apps uninstalled in this way will not be reinstalled by OS updates.

I tried this on my Galaxy S5, but there was no ‘pm’ command available so of course it didn’t work. I wouldn’t mind having the weather if it was accurate, but I suspect that OpenWeather is based in Europe and has that focus. Here in Western North America the forecasts it gives are pretty much useless.

When I click the link I get an error “This site can’t be reached”. Is the other version of Bliss still available?

here

I am just now trying to install this new launcher. Where are the instructions for installing it? I looked all over this forum and can’t find them.

I’ve created a small fork of the current Bliss Launcher without the Weather and Search & Suggested widgets. Click here.

This fork allows you to add or remove the above mentioned widgets.