[HOWTO] Use the Notes App

Note: Documentation in this section is Work in progress. Help us update it. Help us make /e/ better !!

Icon Notes Main Screen
notes_icon notes_mainscreen

Features

• Forked from the Nextcloud Notes App.
  • List, create, edit, share, search and delete notes
  • Share text and links as new note into the app
  • Mark notes as favorite
  • Bulk delete
  • Render MarkDown (using RxMarkdown)
  • Translated in many languages on Transifex

Planned Features

• In-note search (#106)
  • Toggle checkboxes in view mode (#451)
  • Context based formatting (#363)
  • Trashbin (#238)

Requirements for Notes

• Nextcloud instance running
  • Nextcloud Notes app enabled

How to use the Notes app

notes_mainscreen

Options available through the Notes menu

• Notes View
    • All Notes
      • All Notes you created will show up in this view
    • Favourites
      • Notes marked as Favourites will show up here
    • Uncategorized
      • Notes which have not been marked Favourites will show up here
    • Deleted Notes
      • This will lead to the ecloud location for the notes deleted from the appā€¦this is a safety measure in case you have accidentally deleted a Note you can retrieve it from the ecloud bin.
    • Settings
    • About Notes
      • Details on the Notes app developer will show up in this views

Options available through Setting screen

notes_settings

• Change Account

• Add other nextcloud accounts for Notes to access
  • Display mode for Notes

• Options available for display of notes

• Open in edit mode

• Open in Preview mode

• Remember my last selection

• Theme

• Themes for Notes
      • Light
      • Dark
  • Manage Certifications

• Set / unset Trusted system Certificates for notes

About the Project

Project Source Code
This project is licensed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE.

Readme Location

2 Likes

The app crashes at the start!
Error:
Version: 1.0.1

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{foundation.e.notes/foundation.e.cert4android.TrustCertificateActivity}: android.view.InflateException: Binary XML file line #28: Binary XML file line #28: Error inflating class com.google.android.material.card.MaterialCardView
at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2951)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3086)
at android.app.servertransaction.LaunchActivityItem.execute(LaunchActivityItem.java:78)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeCallbacks(TransactionExecutor.java:108)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:68)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1816)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6718)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:491)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:858)
Caused by: android.view.InflateException: Binary XML file line #28: Binary XML file line #28: Error inflating class com.google.android.material.card.MaterialCardView
Caused by: android.view.InflateException: Binary XML file line #28: Error inflating class com.google.android.material.card.MaterialCardView
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance0(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:343)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.createView(LayoutInflater.java:647)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.createViewFromTag(LayoutInflater.java:790)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.createViewFromTag(LayoutInflater.java:730)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.rInflate(LayoutInflater.java:863)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.rInflateChildren(LayoutInflater.java:824)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.rInflate(LayoutInflater.java:866)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.rInflateChildren(LayoutInflater.java:824)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:515)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:423)
at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:374)
at androidx.appcompat.app.AppCompatDelegateImpl.setContentView(AppCompatDelegateImpl.java:555)
at androidx.appcompat.app.AppCompatActivity.setContentView(AppCompatActivity.java:161)
at androidx.databinding.DataBindingUtil.setContentView(DataBindingUtil.java:303)
at androidx.databinding.DataBindingUtil.setContentView(DataBindingUtil.java:284)
at foundation.e.cert4android.TrustCertificateActivity.onCreate(TrustCertificateActivity.kt:46)
at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:7144)
at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:7135)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1271)
at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2931)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3086)
at android.app.servertransaction.LaunchActivityItem.execute(LaunchActivityItem.java:78)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeCallbacks(TransactionExecutor.java:108)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:68)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1816)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6718)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:491)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:858)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Failed to resolve attribute at index 2: TypedValue{t=0x2/d=0x7f0400b2 a=3}
at android.content.res.TypedArray.getColorStateList(TypedArray.java:546)
at androidx.cardview.widget.CardView.(CardView.java:127)
at com.google.android.material.card.MaterialCardView.(MaterialCardView.java:116)
at com.google.android.material.card.MaterialCardView.(MaterialCardView.java:112)
ā€¦ 32 more

E notes got version 1.01. Notes is on version 2.11. I had never problems with notes on other Roms!

When using Notes with e-account remember to check the server address setting (in menu behind profile icon). It should be https://ecloud.global in order to make cloud sync work.

For me it defaulted into https://e.email when I signed in with e-account and gave me java.io.FileNotFoundException everytime it tried to syncronize with the cloud. It really took me a while to figure out whatā€™s the causeā€¦

5 Likes

The solution proposed by @codevictory did not work for Samsung s8 0.10-2020080666687.

My workaround was to ā€œchange serverā€, and then insert https://ecloud.global/ there.

It id not work if I changed the URL in the main menu, which resulted in an endless waiting for the server response

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @codevictory.
I had this problem too and I guess I would never have found the solution by myself.

2 Likes

Why am I forced to have an account? I just want to save some notes on my phone

I cannot use the app without and I cannot uninstall/remove itā€¦ Not convenient

Because itā€™s the Nextcloud Note app so it uses Nextcloud and doesnā€™t have any offline feature.

You can install the note app of your choice though.

1 Like

Great, many thanks! I had the same problem and have been looking for the solution for a couple of weeks. Couldnā€™t have found it alone, I guess.

Thank you @codevictory for the solution you offer. I have my own Nextcloud server and have the same message as @buzzzz
Do you have any idea what would be the solution in my case?

I donā€™t know if this question is still relevant but I just made a post on how to ā€˜Create an OpenSSL certificate for your local Nextcloud instance that you can install on your phoneā€™.
This fixes the the error message of the Notes app and the bug where you canā€™t accept the certificate and the app crashes.

2 Likes

(Not sure if this is the place for a suggestion, if not, feel free to refer me to the correct place.)

When using the Notes app, I find it a bit confusing that there is an ā€˜uncategorisedā€™ category, implying that it would be possible to create categories and structure your notes according to these. So I guess this is kind of feedback and a suggestion in one, I think it would be great to have the option to create such categories. Is there a plan for this in the future, or am I maybe missing something and is this already possible?

2 Likes

Open a Note; 3 dot menu, top right > Category > Create category.

2 Likes

Great, thank you for the help! I guess I didnā€™t find that a logical place to look then :slight_smile:

What is the difference of this fork to the original app?

Hi, someones knows if itā€™s possible to use two notes accounts ?
I got one perso and one for work, on two different nextclouds. It seems to works with only one account.

I donā€™t know if it possible with the built-in NOtes app, but it is certainly possible using the NextCloud Notes app from F-Droid:

2 Likes

Yes ! it works perfectly with nextcloud app ! with a nice switch-button to go easily from one account to the other one !

Thank you very much, after 5 months of using /e/OS I have finally managed to set up notes syncing using this solution.

I tried to make a note with a picture into the web app with success. When I try to see it into the web app, no problem.
When I try to see it with the notes app I only see the text and the picture appears to be broken

Any suggestion ?