[HOWTO] Using WhatsApp under shelter

Absolute. I’m using Total Launcher on all my devices :smiley:

Only for information: If you like Bliss Launcher, you can use it. In the meantime it works with shelter work profile.

Thanks a lot harvey for your prompt answer :slight_smile:
One last question :wink: before I adopt Total Launcher definitively : How you can put the app icons on a rectangular grid , in place of the circle I have now (by default ?).
What I did find: when pinching a screen, I get a hamburger menu on the lower left corner > Launcher options > Folder style > Max column number (5) and Max row number (5). But these options need a “Key”. I am ready to support the developer, but when I click on “Key” I get the answer “The app hasn’t been included in APKPure”. For info I downloaded TL v. 2.6.15 via /e/ Apps. I am using Fairphone2 and /e/ 0.7-2019122535327 Android 7.1.2
If you have a suggestion…
Thanks
Rand

You want have it like this ?

PS: Most ‘apps’ on this screen are PWA’s :slight_smile:

YESSS please :slight_smile:

And I will have a closer look also at Bliss that did not attract me at first sight…
Thanks !
R.

OK, here we go
Create a new page or use the existing one and push upper right site on the Blue PLUS

now use ‘Layout’

now use the left one

now you can change rows and colums via the wheel in the white menu on top

don’t forget to save via disc sign when everything OK

2 Likes

It works perfectly
Thanks a lot !! :-))) for your time and the image links
You made my day !
Best,
Rand

1 Like

Always welcome :+1::wink:

1 Like

Thanks very much ! :-))
R.

Hello, I would like first to thank harvey186 for his clear explanations and prompt answers to my questions. I have installed Whatsapp according to his instructions, using Shelter+Aurora+Total Launcher. Everything went fine, and WA has only the contacts I encoded/copied in the Shelter Contacts. Total Launcher may be a bit confusing at the beginning, but it is very powerful and adaptative :-). Just for info: during its installation, Shelter included in its environment “Files” and microG Services Core". Thanks again :slight_smile:
ps: I am using a Fairphone2 and /e/ of course

3 Likes

That’s normal. Also an app named ‘System Tracing’ is on my devices created in shelter profile. I have ‘frozen’ it.

Hello Harvey,
Are you interested if I translate to French your article about using Whatsapp under shelter ? Plus a brief bonus on Total Launcher that if find very very good :slight_smile:
You can post the translation wherever you think it useful.
Rend

3 Likes

Hello,

I would have a couple of questions. I am using Whatsapp under Shelter:

1. Shall Shelter be set up in any particular way (I simply left “Auto Freeze Service” checked, but I do not know if there are any further optimizations to be applied)
  2. Shall I use a VPN or Blokada? I understood I can’t have both at the same time, and as I mainly use my /e/ phone as a dumb phone (calls/SMS/calendar/camera…) and whatsapp (I open sometimes some hyperlinks sent by whatsapp, but I do not usually browse the web otherwise), sometimes from free wifi networks, I tend to think that a VPN should be better … what do you think?

Thank you in advance.

Have a good day

I just installed /e/
I installed shelter and as I am new to all that may be took some shortcut / made mistake… But I am sure I didn’t install Aurora Store into the Shelter…
The AppStore popped up and I installed Whastsapp.

I didn’t quite understood everything, the sequence of things but now :
I do have 2 Whatsapp, 2 Contacts icons and the WhatsApp within Shelter ( lock icon) can’t see my main contact “contacts”…

I suppose I am ok ?

OK I installed (cloned) Aurora and the /e/ AppStore into the Shelter environment.

Now both AppStore’s icons are in double ( one with a lock)

So I suppose the right way to do install from the “SHELTERED” /e/ AppStore or Aurora
or F-DROID ( btw, whcih one is better, F-Droid or Aurora… I am new to Android).

At 1st I was intending to clone the App already installed in the phone, in the Shelter, but if, let’s say example, WhatsApp was already installed in the phone, and not in the Shelter environment, then WhatSapp, before I delete it ( after cloning it) could have done some damage already…

So I now understand i need to install from the AppStore that is already in the secure environment…

Learning…

Shelter is a container and creates a work profile. All apps in this work profile have no access to the data of main profile. That’s why you do have now some apps double. You can uninstall the not need apps (whatsapp) in main profile.
In work profile you should add only your whatsapp contacts. In main profile you can import all your contacts.
And in work profile you should only install done apps, because whatsapp und co. will spy on you and will send all collected data from work profile home.

2 Likes

Tks !

Not sure to get everything you just wrote…

1- What do you mean by " done apps" ? Typo ?

2- If I get it right, you a mean that if an unsecure app like WHatsApp is installed in the MAIN profile ( not the work/shelter one), it will grab all the info from the main profile and work one ? As an example, it would grab contacts in the main profile " and " also the conctacts from the Work (contracts) profile ?

Should be ‘some apps’ :woozy_face:

No, no app of main profile has access to work profile data and no work profile app has access to main profile app.

1 Like

As a sidenote in order to protect your contacts (your contact list), you can also use OpenContacts.

2 Likes

But it isn’t protecting for whatsapp

What do you mean? If you use OpenContacts, Whatsapp or any other app won’t have access to your contacts (but you can set it otherwise). Those apps will try to check the default contact list, which can be empty.