[HOWTO] Using WhatsApp under shelter

No, not with OpenLauncher, just in Settings > Apps…

Hello.
Found in Shelter Settings > File shuttle : more easy with a *.vcf file.
Added bank’s app, too, and freeze it after use… And freeze W.A. when using “bank”.

Privacy needs attention when gafam’s tools just need… mindnessless to use very easily :frowning:

Where are the Android app installed? I am trying to follow the instruction but don’t manage to find where the Whatsapp is installed (neither in /e/ OS nor in shelter). I am using a Galaxy S7 Edge with /e/ pre-installed.
Thanks in advance!

Two ways:

1. You can ‘clone’ the apps store into shelter and isnstall whatsapp via apps store in shelter
    or
  2. You download anf imstall (but don’t start) whatsapp in your normal profile. And than you clone whatsapp into shelter and start it there. In main profile you can remove Whatsapp.

Thanks for the reply!
Actually, I am trying to restore my WhatsApp backup not from the Google Drive but by copying the databases files (and the others). I am trying to follow https://github.com/PeterCxy/Shelter/issues/99
But I don’t know where to copy the files within Shelter because I can’t find out where WhatsApp is installed in Shelter (the same in the normal profile).
With my previous phone, I could access to the location of the installation of the apps. But here, I can’t find out where apps are installed.
Thanks in advance.

Have you activated ‘file shuttle’ in shelter options ? If yes you can use the the file explorer from shelter to transfer your backup into your whatsapp folder in shelter.

Hi,

After transferring the backup, only the groups are added or all the previous contacts as well? Or shall I invite them again?
It seems that my backup was found, but I could not display the thread of messages …

Thank you in advance

I’m sorry, how restore will work, I don’t know. I haven’t restored anything. As far as I know / remember there was a guy who has managed it. But is has failed several times.
I will search./ ask in telegram group. Hope I will find it.

Has you imported your whatsapp contacts as written in howto ? I think that has to be done first.

Edit: I have found and invite the guy. Hope he will assist you

Hi, I’m the person Guntram told you about restoring the whatsapp backup in shelter.

1 Like

For starters:

*Give Shelter clearance to the storage memory.

*Install the file manager in Shelter

1. Make sure you have already installed the File Manager in Shelter

2. Backup the WhatsApp database and your contacts

3. Launch Shelter and in settings check “File Shuttle”.

4. Open the File Manager and click on the Shelter icon (Main)

5. Locate your WhatsApp database

6. Press long on the file and click on the 3 points at the top right to copy it.

7. Then choose the name of your phone brand (in this case, it represents the storage of the Shelter profile) on the window that appears

8. Choose the WhatsApp folder where to copy the database

9. This ends. Go now launch WhatsApp and you will do the restore without any problem.

Finally:

Enjoy Shelter’s good deed and best wishes :laughing::partying_face:

1 Like

My bad. Once WhatsApp is started from Shelter, it asked to restore backups from Google Drive: I’ve skipped this phase.
But actually, we need to accept this step and WhatsApp detects there is a local backup. And the restore works fine then.

Thanks for the support!

Nice to hear.

and thx to @hdzswodd for detailed information

Thank you all for your support.

I still have an issue, but I think that the initial problem might be due to a mistake in the exact destination when copying the backup file. Therefore, I tried to unistall whatsapp and repeat the whole procedure, but it seems that Aurora Store (under Shelter) is not able to log in anonymously … and asks to try later … I will see if I am able to download whatsapp again soon (before the New Year’s greetings :slight_smile:

Have a great N/e/w Y/e/ar

You can download it via Apps store.

1 Like

good piece of advice :slight_smile:
thanks

so I reinstalled from Apps store (cloned to Shelter)
But same result as before… my backup is in “WhatsApp\Backups” but is clearly not read …
Or I made again something wrong …
let me check it again …

I would prefer to start complete over with removing shelter and work profile. Could be, that there is something left in.work profil. Do removing and reinstall and using the step by step from hdzswodd should solve all issues.

Ok, I will try that.
I have just repeated the above putting the backup in

• /
  • WhatsApp
  • WhatsApp/Databases
    -WhatsApp/Backups

Without success…

And the new backups are stored in WhatsApp/Databases…

Dear harvey186, thanks for you post, I have been looking for such a solution. To start with, from the link you indicated https://gitlab.com/oldosfan/librechair , how can I download the Librechair apk ? And install it ? Thanks.

On the github site from your link is a link to a telegram group. There you can always download the latest apk.

Thank you very much for your kind answer.

Before downloading and installing Librechair, is Total Launcher compatible for working with Shelter ?
Thank you for your attention