[HOWTO] Using WhatsApp under shelter

You can manually create shortcuts : in Shelter, click on the app you want and click on something to create a shortcut.

Yes, there is a menu selection: unfreeze and create shortcut’
But I don’t know why I have to unfreeze and what does this ‘unfreeze’ is meaning

That doesn’t work on my Nougat build. Or rather the shortcut is created, but on the Bliss Home screen instead of the OpenLauncher screen.

I remember that when I first started using /e/ (also a Nougat build), there was an issue where the Browser and Contacts ‘Add to Home screen’ functions added the shortcut to the Bliss, rather than to OpenLauncher. This looks to be the same problem. I’ve tried find a related issue but there isn’t one, so I’ll raise it

Edit: This is now raised as issue #1529

I have a small question:
Will I see notifications when I get a message on whatsapp if I install it only in shelter? Or will it “not get through” because it is only in shelter?

I’m getting WA push notifications. But some users have to install WA in main. (Only install, no setup! !! ) to get notifictions

1 Like

I get notifications, too, even though it’s only installed in shelter.

Hello.

No notification fir me (until I ‘unfreeze’ it, because I keep WA almost always frozen)…

LoL …

No prob with friends living far, far, far… (GMT -4, GMT +11, here GMT +2) :wink:

Can someone tel me what it is for this Freez function?

Sorry, two pics from Shelter > Works profile:

Frozen, an app can’t send or catch data’s to/from an other…

1 Like

So freez stop the comunication beween apps that are alos inside shelter.
In the main, it is also possible to freez, so it would freez comunication between specific app in main.

What dose auto freez mean?

No, it isn’t possible, you just can clone an app to work profile. Note that you can umistall an app from Main while using it in Work, you can also install an app only in Work.

1 Like

Okay, I juste freezed WA and it disappeared.

???

Did you scroll down page, in Work?

That’s not correct, sorry. Freeze is only ‘stopping’ the app. So no background actions could be done. As soon as you unfreeze it / launch it, it’s collecting data if it has trackers

1 Like

same as fab (with a Sony XA2, whatsapp not frozen)

A manual for shelter! Thank you!

That´s what I tried to find and landed on the developer`s page, where he mentioned “Island” as an alternative also in F-Droid now. Do you know if any of the two are better (and why)?

Hello.

Shelter was forked from Island, to be full FOSS (Island wasn’t), with a pretty licence :smiley:

This non-copyleft licence exists in French too…

1 Like

Hello.

With new clean install (e-0.19-n) WA seems to need microG and doesn’t want to load my local backup. Looking for the reason, sheltered microG instance has an issue with unifiednlp (see below):

I tried to install UnifiedNlp (no gapps) from Apps (in Shelter), but same auto-test after reboot. Not a hurry, but if someone knows how to…

Thanks.