[HOWTO] Using WhatsApp under shelter

UnifiedNlp is work location service, no need for WA.

You can’t install any system services in (alone) shelter Things like MircroG is available system wide.

I have never get a local or any other backup of WA running. But there are some howto’s available for this. Hope this will help you [HOWTO] Transfer WhatsApp messages from Google Android to /e/ (backup and restore)

@harvey186, hello o/

I have a VPN in my main profile. Do I need to set it up in Shelter too? How is your workflow for VPN?

Another question: how do you manage Shelter and Privacy Guard? (Settings > Security & Location > Trust > Privacy Guard) Do you use both?

Thanks!
Thanks

yes, the VPN must also setup in shelter, because shelter or main doesn’t know anything from each other.
Privacy Guard is a system wide feature like MicroG. So you don’t need a special setup in shelter. It’S the same as in main profile

1 Like

For your information, you won’t find Sheltered apps at this location. You will have to click on the 3dots and “Advanced” to find apps under Shelter (you need to open the app at least once).

Hi, I hope I can ask you some fairly beginner question to help me follow this HowTo!
I have a Fairphone 3, bought last year, and am only now getting ready to use it. Some months ago I managed to install the /e/ OS. (I think it was called jailbreaking, or root, or ROM flash, or something? Kinda complicated, but I managed it.)
Now, I rather regret to say, I do want to install Whatsapp on it. (I have very good friends in another country, and I don’t think I’ll be able to get them to install Signal (or Telegram) until I am there with them, and now, thanks to Covid, who knows when that will be… So…
First question: I don’t know if I have Bliss Launcher. Do I need it? Should I install librechair instead?
2: I was looking at another set of instructions that seemed easier to follow (http://www.evangelippisch.de/2019/07/24/whatsapp-einsperren-shelter-unter-android/) but it says to use Google Play store, which I don’t have, and I seem to recall not actually wanting.

3: I have installed shelter. Contacts and Files are the only doubled icons on my screen. Do I have a “Work section” in my drawer? What and where is my drawer? (So sorry to be such a greenhorn!)

I don’t know when or if you will see this. For the time being, I guess I will try to continue by installing “Aurora Store” and then try to find a “Work profile” I can clone it to. Fingers crossed! :smiley:

Ok, all no problem, we are here to help everyone.
From your link I’m think your are speaking german. So I would prefer joining our german user group on telegram. We have a lot of FP3 users and a lot of shelter users. So you will have a good chance to get all quedtion answered.

If I’m wrong, I will answer your questions here.

Yeah, my German is pretty good (I hope so, after 30+ years working on it…). So, I’ll go to that group and then see what’s next!

Ok, we can start here. Bliss launcher is default launcher. In the meantime Bluss can handle shelter. So if you like the iOS design, you don’t need cganging anything

1. Shelter is open sources and available in f-droid, as you are knowing, because you have installed. And its working fine without goolag store.

Bliss doesn’t have a drawer. If you push the shelter icon you will swap to the shelter profil where you can add apps from main profile

I don’t know how to add an app to the Shelter side.

By the way, we can switch to German if you like. Mir egal. :smiley:

PS: I just noticed my e OS is 9.something, and the latest is 11.something. Probably would make sense to update before I go on!

And by the way (again): Thank you!!

There is no Android 10 or Android 11 available for FP3

Sorry, I misread and left out the "0. "
Now I have /e/ OS 0.11-2020082870302

The o.11 is only a internal version number, has nothing to do with the Android version.

So if you have 0.9 installed, than yes, start with update to 0.11.

One question about running Whatsapp using Shelter. Does Shelter sandbox prevent Whatsapp to see device IMEI etc. information so it can’t get actual device fingerprint?

No, it only prevents for data / address book spying

Hi,

Is this HowTo is still accurate for FP3+/Android 10 ?
Basicaly, I’ve just installed Shelter App but stopped right after open it when I see the advertising message “do not use this app if you use custom rom etc.”

Thanks

Android 10 will be OK, but don’t know FP3+. Fairphone is very, very special

Ok thanks !
Should I do more than installing Shelter app ?
Oh, FP is special ?? In which ways ?

No, it should normally wok out of the box. When it is failing, you can try island from Aurora store. It’s he same as Shelter, but not open source

In a lot of ways, starting at flash. Normally you have a rom.zip which you are flashing whit TWRP. On FP3(+) you have to run several fastboot commands

I have installed /e/ on my FP3+ and I try to follow this HOWTO. Unfortunately Shelter File Shuttle does not work with Android 10. I want to get my whatsapp backup in my work profile somehow. Are there other ways of doing this?

I don’t get notifications unless WA is open. It’s not frozen, and yes I installed it again in main profile (without registering or anything). I don’t know where any “background activity” settings are located. It’s not listed in Permissions. Or does that just refer to Freeze/Unfreeze? Then that’s not the problem here.