I Want To Use Notes Without An Account?

I tapped on Notes and it wants me to be logged into an Account.

Is there a way to use Notes without using an Account, or being online?

THANKS

you can get the upstream App (“nextcloud notes”) to do this, it supports offline notes since mid 2021.

( /e/ notes will update the fork in the next releases sometime, see Notes can't be used without /e/ account (#775) ¡ Issues ¡ e / Backlog ¡ GitLab and Update Notes application to Nextcloud Notes 3.4.18 (&232) ¡ Epics ¡ e ¡ GitLab )

1 Like

I never used Notes (because of this in my eyes idiotic cloud approach). Take a look at Another Notes app (F-Droid). Simple, fast and allows export.

With all due respect and no disrespect intended, I am simply giving feedback, this approach is very Google like, that /e/ isn’t getting.

A Mission of My Data is My Data revolves around a lot more than simply Data, the whole concept of this type of Mission Statement should revolve around the entire OS of “CONTROL”.

Everyone in the Google world says when you use Android, you aren’t forced, you have choices, if you don’t like something, then you can go and download another app, etc… It’s not the point!

The point should of been, when you develope a Brand like this, the entire OS should of reflected it, with apps not forcing you into any mold.

Notes should of been made, so that you can use it without an account. Now end-users have to waste their time, that don’t want to use an account on /e/ and go looking for another Notes app, or figure out when creating an account, how you turn off Sync for everything you also don’t want going into the Cloud, which is another approach that shouldn’t be happening either, meaning Sync is ON by default, it should be OFF.

Anyhow, this needs to change, every app installed in an OS like this, should reflect end-user FREEDOM, on an OS, that doesn’t lock them into any particular pattern…

2 Likes

… but it looked like a question !

Your more recent post seemed to include a lot of “should” !

On one hand I agree with you, but perhaps one has to try to do this without ANDROID / GOOGLE.

Meanwhile /e/OS has harnessed AOSP with an alternative.

1 Like

The first post was a question, then my second reply was feedback. :wink:

Hello,

Go to setting, account, sync and uncheck “notes” and it’s done.

Cheers

I asked without an Account…

I already know this, the problem is trying to use Notes without having to create an account, then turn sync off for it.

/e/ should of created a Notes apps that doesn’t require an account in the first place.

Go to setting, account, sync and uncheck “notes” and it’s done.

No, it’s not. When you do that (I checked this right now) the app pops up message boxes telling you that it is not registered to an account and then it opens up a website to register at murena.io. This is interesting: the user did switch this off, this all is visible in the OS settings, the app could just read it there, why is the user now urged to register online again? Nobody thought about this.

This app is indeed sad. You can’t run it without an active online account, you can’t export your data, you can’t categorize your items, you can’t even delete the items all at once.

Thank you for the clarification. I must admit that I did not test this option to the end. I really thought that once the sync was deactivated it was ok.
After that I don’t use notes very much, I hardly ever use it.
In fact they are synchronized at home and I’m fine with that. Even if I understand that it can be annoying for some (or at least that the synchronization is activated without asking anything).

After that, syncing is part of the /e/ offer. That’s why I switched to this OS, to have a coherent set of offers without having to deal with google.

For the application as such, for my use it is fine. After that, maybe it needs to be improved.:slight_smile:

Just ignore the supplied Notes app and use “Another Notes” app its very good. To be extra sure go into e/OS settings and turn off Mobile data and wifi for the app.

That issue has just been automatically closed by /e/ robot, because it ‘has not shown any activity for a while’. I tested in v1-12.3, and it is still not possible to use Notes without an account. I added a comment to the defect, but I could not reopen it - it seems no longer have permission to reopen this defect.

If you look at the comments to this epic, it looks like it won’t be done for a while, because the upstream Notes app requires NextCloud sync app to be installed, whereas /e/'s forked app uses /e/'s Account Manager which is in turn forked from the upstream DAVx5 application.

So I don’t think this problem will ever be fixed in /e/OS - if you want to use a Notes app without an /e/ or NextCloud account, then you’ll have to use a different app, at least for the foreseeable future.

And I wish /e/ would be up-front about stuff like this: if they’re not going to fix an issue, then they should say so, and mark the issue as ‘Won’t fix’ before closing, rather than letting it be closed automatically and hoping nobody will notice :frowning:

1 Like

The automated closing of bugs on Gitlab is a process to keep in check issues which have not seen any changes in a long time. If users feel an issue needs to be re-opened they can always request for it and one of the admin on Gitlab or I can re-open it.

2 Likes

Then please either re-open this issue or, if it is not going to be fixed, then add a comment or label making that clear. Thanks

1 Like

Issue has been reopened as per request.

2 Likes

This is as I already said before: since bugs do not disappear from its own (and when they do as a developer I have never a good feeling) it’s really a bad idea to close issues by an automatic process. And there’s absolutely no need for doing this. You should be glad to have this! Look,

• the user found something which isn’t good,
  • the user checked this several times to be sure,
  • the user wants to help,
  • the user registered himself on a platform,
  • the user made a case for you, sometimes he needed an hour to get all the facts together,
  • the user did wait for a year or so and
  • you didn’t do something during this year (not the case, the case does normally nothing).

But then your no brainer background process comes and mows the case down because of inactivity. I call this a reversal of responsibility. Never seen that before.

2 Likes

@irrlicht really think you should empathize. It’s just bugtrackers, closed bugs can be commented still and there is search+backlinking.

time investment to develop features (or even fix bugs) is very often inversely proportional to the time of users that even put in the best of bug and feature reports.

Automatically closing issues without a recent signal is not a nice thing, but it’s still useful for teams that don’t have the capacity to manage the inflow.

There are other tools. I’d use a feature voting platform to relieve bugtrackers to signal demand. Discourse has plugins for that.

The Notes App itself is a bit of a sad story really. The nextcloud / murena webui takes precedence over device App ease of use and robustness. Well, not my call :slight_smile:

Yes, sure, but seriously: closed cases are closed. The chance is high that they are never visited again, neither by developers nor by other users who detect the same or a similar problem. They don’t participate in searches and so on, that’s the reason for closing them.

This is the reason why I say this. A small team should be interested in any help they can get, especially when they have an active community and a good bug tracking platform.

I don’t expect that they solve every single case immediately. But if they decide to let a case unsolved they should either close it by an ordinary reason or put it into a list of known issues but not blame the case for inactivity and let an automatic background process do the nasty job. This is deterring users.

Look, if they don’t do anything for a year they will have no bugs at all anymore. Everything’s fine then. Really?

in my experience, pinging to reopen optionally with current reproduction will in fact reopen an issue.

Happy to discuss this off-thread with an example you’re especially bothered about.

That changed for me at least: the robot closed an issue that I had raised, and I was not able to reopen it. I had to ask @Manoj to reopen it. I have been able to reopen closed issues before, but not now :frowning: