In search of a good calendar solution across devices

I want a calendar that syncs with my Thunderbird client on my pc and with /e/ Calendar client on my phone.

• e.drive calendar has an import functionality that does not work (this Nexcloud-related bug has been reported months ago Vcf import to edrive doesn't work) + I don’t know if syncing with Thunderbird calendar is possible.
  • my Synology NAS has a calendar app that syncs with Thunderbird and /e/ Calendar. I have used it successfully for several months. But now, suddenly, Thunderbird opens an Authentication Required window on startup. Synology Support team told me to connect with DDNS and configure my router, which sounds too complicated for me. Until now I was connecting with a Quickconnect url (a method proper to Synology, I think)

If someone has any suggestions…

Note: Thunderbird calendar is not absolutely essential to me. For a long time I had been using Google Calendar within my web browser. But e.drive calendar for web doesn’t equal Google Calendar in terms of simplicity, speed, I believe. And the Synology calendar is not usable as a daily web calendar because I need to connect to Synology web OS called DSM before accessing my calendar from there.

Your Synology NAS is able to setup Nextcloud. The best way is, that you will setup NextCloud on your NAS and make the sync via NextCloud.
There a alot of howtos in the web https://www.qwant.com/?q=setup+Nextcloud+on+Synology+NAS&client=opensearch

Thanks, i will check.
With this solution, how would I see and edit my calendar from my pc? Some Calendar client, or web?

Also, I’m wondering: why use Nextcloud calendar on my Synology NAS when /e/ provides Nextcloud ‘built-in’ with all services included like email and notes. For me the integrated services is the reason why i first chose /e/. Everything ready out of the box.

Because your own Nextcloud will have no issues syncing your appointments.
The sync with any pc client is also working perfect or you are using your web browser. All working for me since years.
And with your own NC you have access to all your files which are stored on your NAS from everywhere :O)

Not having to deal with DDNS or Quickconnect looks like a good point when it comes to syncing with pc clients, indeed.
But if I transfer my calendar to my own NC, should I also transfer email, contacts and notes to my own NC or can I leave those services hosted at /e/?

I’m using no-ip.org to get access from the world.

Contacts will be a good idea. If you are using the web client of e.email, than you can leave it on e.drive. With notes, you can decide what fit’s better to you.

I have all on my NC because I truest no one :wink:

1 Like

Or should I wait for this? Wouldn-t that be easier? Soon to come: self-host /e/ online services…

mhm, I’m not sure. e,drive isn’t working well with calendar sync. Why should it be better in this new service ?
And you den’t know if there will be a solution for your synergy NAS.

Years ago I have had a qnap NAS and it has an option to install NextCloud and a lot of other services. Have a look on your NAS. Is there a section for installing apps/software ? I think there is. And if you have luck, there is a standart installation for Nextcloud or Owncloud.

The Calendar Import-Export app wants access to my contacts, even when I want it to manage my calendar only. I don’t like this behavior.

I wish I could save my calendar entries under a new calendar. I would save them under e.drive calendar and I would be done with it. as a workaround to importing.