Installing /e/OS on Xperia XZ3: VoLTE unavailable on stock ROM

As the name “IMS Service Status” implies, this only tells you the status. It is not something that you can change on your own. It populates automatically based on network+SIM+Device Capabilities (to put it in simplistic terms).

The seller seems to be uninformed.

Again, it’s not a question of “does this phone have VoLTE,” but rather “is this phone certified for VoLTE with this carrier.” (Assuming a specific phone ever had the capacity for VoLTE with any carrier, that is. Older phones may fall into that category, but apparently the XZ3 has the capability with at least some carriers.)

In general, this may not be indicative of equivalent capabilities. For instance, Sony obtained certification of the XZ1 Compact for VoLTE with T-mobile USA, but did not do so for the XZ1 (non-compact version)… with any U.S. carrier.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help guys, very much appreciated.
Thanks @Cooler for the link pointing that the XZ3 is VoLTE capable. Anyway for whatever the reason is, it’s not active on my phone visibly.

All of this is becoming overwhelmingly confusing to me, especially Xxpsilon’s answer saying that although VoLTE App displaying a Success! status about VoLTE, the reality is there’s no VoLTE switch appearing on the phone’s settings.

I’m not willing to flash the firmware of my XZ3 as:
_ it’s not 100% guaranteed that VoLTE will become available after flashing
_ I simply can’t afford spending time on doing this

What I’m going to do now is:

_ probably returning the XZ3 phone to the eBay seller, as they are keen for me to do so.
_ going through the list of /e/OS compatible devices on this website again, to find another phone to buy.

I don’t have the time right now to dig into that list again (and to find someone on eBay who has one to sell for a decent price), but, so far as I remember, the XZ3 was the only Sony model that would meet my criteria:

_ the phone must support VoLTE
_ a “not too old” phone
_ not very expensive
_ that doesn’t have any known issues with installing /e/OS on it
_ preferably not a Google phone as I don’t like Google, like all of you I guess, and I prefer not giving them any money at all
_ I don’t care about the specs, even something pretty basic will be ok (well, not too basic, mid-range is ok I guess)

Thanks again, this community/forum is awesome,

For phones that work on VoLTE under /e/

1. Xiaomi Mi A2 - very good cheap phone
  2. Oneplus 7 PRO - used by eosfan on a 4G/5G only network

Hopefyully other will chime in to give you recommandations of TRIED PHONES ON /E? OS.
I think - but others more knowledgeable must confirm - that any phone having 5G should have 4G VoLTE (except Samsung).

Hi guys,

Thanks for the recommandation @Cooler but I see 2 known issues with /e/OS on the Xiaomi Mi A2: https://gitlab.e.foundation/groups/e/-/issues/?label_name[]=jasmine_sprout&label_name[]=type%3A%3ABug

Plus I quite don’t like this brand: I remember I bought a monitoring camera that turned out to work not very well (issue witht the firmware being in chinese) so I prefer avoiding that brand.

About the OnePlus 7 Pro, although it looks like a good phone, it’s a bit too expensive for me I’m afraid, plus I see it’s a 5G phone. I prefer avoiding 5G phones as I’m not too sure about the toxicity of this technology (all other technologies, 3G, 4G … are toxic as well but 5G may be even more).

Does someone has another phone to recommend?

Here are the criteria I’m after:

_ the phone must support VoLTE
_ a “not too old” phone
_ not very expensive
_ that doesn’t have any known issues with installing /e/OS on it
_ preferably not a Google phone as I don’t like Google, like all of you I guess, and I prefer not giving them any money at all
_ I don’t care about the specs, even something pretty basic will be ok (well, not too basic, mid-range is ok I guess)

Thanks a lot

Hi guys,

I was about to buy a OnePlus 7 Pro, but when I had a look on the OnePlus 7 Pro forum it looks like it’s not the easiest phone to install /e/ on, as you can see on this page: OnePlus 7 Pro: instructions & supported devices

It looks like not every OnePlus 7 Pro models are compatible with /e/, but the /e/ page doesn’t list which models are compatible and which ones are not, plus I’ve read on the forum that some users experienced SIM card being unrecognized after upgrading /e/.
So I don’t think I’m going to buy that phone in the end.

I bougth Xiaomi monitoring cameras in the past that turned out to be pretty bad mainly because of the chinese language software, so I won’t buy that brand either, I just don’t like it.

So I’m currently having a look at Google phones, although I didn’t want to buy a Google phone at first but, it looks like it may be a more rational choice after all.

I have a question: what does Safetynet mean? And what is Rootbeer?
Thanks

Hi tOm8

Sorry again for your troubles. I procured recently another Oneplus 7 PRO (NOT 5G) this time near mint and I also have a Pixel 3 XL; both are still on stock ROM.
Let me know if you want me to help you. Had you not been in Australia things would have been much-much easier.

No problem.
What do you think about the Google Pixel 4 XL? It looks like a good phone.
I found an article saying that the battery doesn’t last long unfortunately: is it true? If yes, I guess it lasts longer with /e/ than with stock ROM?