Summary: a recent update to the
guacamole instructions, which may not yet be reflected in the Easy Installer tool, have left me uncertain about which models are actually supported & how to get around deadlocks for unlocking the bootloader on any Android version from which /e/OS can be installed.
First: I noticed late last month that the guacamole (OnePlus 7 Pro) guides and information page had been updated, some time apparently in mid-September:
- “Build Versions” was changed from “S (stable)” to “T (dev), R (stable)”. This makes sense considering that some models are being shipped with Android 13, as well as reported inability to unlock the bootloader on the 7 Pro in Android 12.
- In last month’s version there was a list of “supported models” which included the GM1917 (North America) but not the GM1915 (T-Mobile USA). The current guacamole page has the list of supported models removed, which suggests that all models are now supported (at least on T (dev)).
In part due to this uncertainty, I have both models of the phone now & wondering the best way to proceed, although each possibility appears to have a different deadlock and I don’t know exactly how this officially compatible phone is “supported”.
On the GM1917, Easy Installer confirms that the phone model is supported but reports the bootloader can’t be unlocked:
fastboot oem unlockreports “device cannot be unlocked due to technical reason” which is a known problem described here.
- The usual solution is to roll back to Android 11 to unlock the bootloader there, but the guacamole manual install page insists that the phone be on Android 12 before proceeding.
- It could be possible to break this apparent deadlock by following the advice at that third-party page: use
MSMDowloadToolto revert to Android 11, unlock the bootloader, and then ZIP upgrade to Android 12, but I hope to get a response first about how much of this is really necessary & whether the GM1915 option is possible:
On the GM1915, Easy Installer says that the phone model is not supported:
- Since the guacamole page was recently edited so that GM1915 is not excluded, it seems the Easy Installer might be out of date for its list of supported devices… could anyone please check that?
- BUT even if going ahead with the Manual installation, I would still have the same problem as above because it’s on Android 11 and the instructions insist on beginning with Android 12.
- And also as in the first case, I’m unsure that upgrading Android 12 (as a requirement for the install procedure) wouldn’t re-lock the bootloader again.
There must be a clear path forward since this is one of the currently only 21 phones to work with the Easy Installer, so it must have a lot of testing behind it. But since this deadlock isn’t described in the documentation please I would like some well qualified advice before proceeding.