Is it possible to make Q builds using Docker?

lol what a joke ! Problem is : python3 is installed inside this docker container… Removing system wide python will do nothing !!!

It could be shown here at line 143 : https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd/-/blob/master/Dockerfile#L143

So here in this thread, some recommend to use python2 but official docker release have python3 installed and a symlink in line 148 of Dockerfile to python3. What is the official recommendation ?

The team is still working on the resolution to the v0.12 fix. There should be an update by next week. As of now the builds for v0.12 have been pulled back from the servers. We are checking if the issue is with the build infra or something in the code is causing this.

Ok … But doesn’t make sense : Documentation force you to use docker whereas Docker image simply doesn’t work ! May be add an advanced user install for those like me already in Linux. Furthermore deploying in Docker is not transparent unless you understand Docker. Lucky me I understand but not everybody

Discovering this project … bad first impression, may be I have better luck to support other projects like pinephone …

The documentation does not force you it mentions that we use Docker for our builds but that does not mean users cannot build using the traditional repo sync method. We have some good documentation on this forum for example how to build without Docker or for non LOS supported devices.

In forum not in documentation so you are a little bit forced. When you come in a project, users will say RTFM. I read it but none of other thing that Docker is mentioned …
BTW thank you for the links.

Ok in those script line 177 :
git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/omnirom/android_packages_apps_OpenDelta.git OpenDelta

This repository doesn’t exist in github platform …

Edit : Thread is closed so I posted here : could not interact with original how to without docker thread

Hi @Manoj
Any more news on whether / when Q builds with Docker will be possible?
Thanks
Pete

Along with team members I have spent quite some time this week on building …using docker …and testing. We have still not fully debugged the issue with the reboots on some devices. The builds are Q builds and they booted …still testing on the boot issue . We have some details results based on different versions which we hope to share once we complete the testing by next week. I have not tested building on my own PC / laptop as yet using docker. Will try that as well - today if possible.

1 Like

There is an issue with the building through Docker. I tried to run it as per the information given on our documentation site. That threw up some errors. Most probably some of the parameters have been modified.

I can tweak and check but the correct way would be to get the details from the build team , test it and then if the build runs successful for Oreo, Pie and Q then update the documentation accordingly.

Have raised a bug on this and assigned it to the Build team. Will work with them this coming week and have the necessary corrections made.

Thanks. Please can you give a link to the issue so I can keep an eye on it? (Is it this one?)

The issue is marked internal so will not be visible to all users. I will update the status here on this thread on a regular basis. Feel free to check if I miss out on the updating part.

Hi @Manoj
Any news on this? English golf courses are closing again on Thursday :frowning: so I’m going to have some spare time to make builds. I really would like to try making some Q builds with Docker if that’s going to be possible :slight_smile:

There is a fix for the issue ( made by one of our dev team members) which needs to be merged. Now I need to get the team to add the code into the main code base…working on convincing them to merge it in so that the Docker build works for all users.

1 Like

No updates on this…team is more busy with other tasks.

It works fine now. I built already for several devices with local manifests.

What’s your issue? I can share my build scripts if you want.

Thanks for your offer.

I was unable to build with Docker as described in this post above. I know that many people are building ‘the old fashioned way’ (i.e. without Docker, installing all the build tools and scripts necessary) but, for a number of reasons, that isn’t an option for me.

As I understand it, from @Manoj’s posts above, there is a problem with the Docker image: the problem is know, and fix is available, but the developer team has not had time to merge the fix, so the publicly available Docker image is still broken.

If you are building with that Docker image, then the fix has clearly been merged and I can start making builds. But, as you mention ‘build scripts’ I suspect you are not building with Docker, and I’ll have to wait :frowning:

Hi, I am building with Docker, and the only issue I faced was that I did not have enough RAM for some super intensive build lines (eg. Metalava).

What was broken for the community docker image was how some manifests were populated automatically for official LOS devices.

But if you build with local manifests, that’s all good.

Basically, my script is just a .sh file that I launch. Content is as below.

#!/bin/bash
sudo docker pull registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd:community
sudo docker run
-v “/media/HDD_3To/Android/eOS/src:/srv/src”
-v “/media/HDD_3To/Android/eOS/zips:/srv/zips”
-v “/media/HDD_3To/Android/eOS/logs:/srv/logs”
-v “/media/Donnees/ccache:/srv/ccache”
-v “/media/HDD_3To/Android/local_manifests/q:/srv/local_manifests”
-e “BRANCH_NAME=v1-q”
-e “DEVICE_LIST=oneplus3”
-e “INCLUDE_PROPRIETARY=false”
-e “SIGNATURE_SPOOFING=restricted”
-e “OTA_URL=https://yourOTAserverurlifany”
-e “REPO=https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases.git”
-e “CCACHE_SIZE=30G”
-e “ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx10G”
registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd:community

PS: I am the french user one mentioned earlier, discussing with Romain.

Makes sense: I was trying to build for an officially supported device, to prove the build process and environment worked, before building for an unsupported device.

Most of the unofficial builds I have made (for Sony devices stuck on Nougat) do not use local manifests: I assume they worked with the automatically generated ones. I guess they are unlikely to work if no change has been pushed to the community Docker image.

I may try and have a play building for the unsupported device that interests me, Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac).

Thanks for your help

1 Like

You’re welcome.

Fix is here.

Let me ask Thilo if his fix has been pushed to the community image.

I guess the answer is “Not yet” :slight_smile: