Is there a "shazam" open source?

Hi

everything is in the title, as we say in french…
Is there an open-source app like shazam or soundhound, to recognize songs & music ?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

2 Likes

hello !
I use Music identification and it works pretty well (available on Apps (by /e/), aurora etc.)

1 Like

Thanks, I will try it !

1 Like

but when it is available on aurora, it’s closed sources :frowning:

1 Like

Aurora is just an example ! First i point Apps…

Apps is using the same apk than aurora. If it isn’t available on f-droid, it is closed sources

Not all open source apps are on F-Droid, are they? Take Signal for example…

Ich bin der meinung signal ist nicht 100% open source. Weiss es aber nicht genau

1 Like

There are a number of open source apps at the Play Store. Usually mentioned in their app description. Not every dev puts their stuff on F-Droid though I wish they would, even if they use their own repo.
Blanket statements are not always a good thing.

Regarding Signal. Which part do you believe is not fully open, the app or the protocol? Not too sure about the latter myself.

Hi,
even though it’s not open-source, you can try shazam-lite, that does a country check of where you are using it and then tell you that you have to use the full app, so it doesn’t works.

I found out only yesterday however, that a guy on the forum-xda modified the apk to avoid country check on startup, and so now it works fine!
Sure, the interface is a bit spartan, but at least the app doesn’t contain trackers and doesn’t require unnecessary permissions, and of course it has shazam’s recognition capability which is probably the best;
here’s the link:

(https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-shazam-lite-region-restriction-t3477858)

2 Likes