[LIST] Carriers that work or do not work with /e/OS country-wise

Doesn’t the carrier compatibility depend on the device? Do they actually ban an OS?

Or do you mean that Ting-Verizon just can’t work with the Samsung models that /e/ sells? Or maybe it has to do with Verizon having to whitelist the device for Ting. These carriers make everything way too complicated due to their proprietary rules.

2 Likes

Seems it’s a Verizon thing - see this quote from Manoj’s list:

1 Like

Ah, OK. I’m guessing he means the phones sold by /e/.

I imagine a device normally on Verizon’s approved list would pass muster if a user installed /e/ on it (assuming that’s possible to do).

Cricket (at&t) works in us.

2 Likes

I think the OS lacks APN settings to support CDMA.

2 Likes

Some great info here by @Taurus regarding cellular providers in the USA.

About Canadian providers, I’ve success to get it working with Bell and Virgin Mobile (last one owned by Bell and using same access point), but It was tricky, I’ve need to create an APN setting through ADB, because internet mobile wasn’t working. Originals supplied APNs are greyed out and are misconfigurated so they doesn’t give access to the internet mobile network.
One year ago, I was using Bell, to get it work, I had to plug my phone to my computer and enter that command into an ADB shell:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

That’s allow to configure a new APN directly on the screen of the phone without root.
Three months ago, I’ve changed for Virgin Mobile, they’re using the same APN, but they seem to have made some changes because I’m not allowed to save that new APN created anymore with this last command.
I had to find a new way to get it working… Enable root with ADB though developer options, connect the phone to the computer, start a root shell with ADB, use that kind of command with rights settings concerning the providers:

content insert --uri content://telephony/carriers --bind name:s:"<Carrier Name>" --bind numeric:s:"<mcc><mnc>" --bind type:s:"default,sulp" --bind mcc:i:<mcc> --bind mnc:s:<mnc> --bind apn:s:<apn>

(This is an example, not the exact command, but I can retrieve exact settings if somebody need).

After the new APN created, I’ve need to select it into the phone settings, and reboot the device. It’s finally working.

So you can add Bell Canada to the list.
Hope it will help someone!

5 Likes

@NicQ , Which phone are you using, if I may ask?

@Taurus , Yes of course, I’ve got a Fairphone 3, my current version of /e/ OS is: v0.17-pie

2 Likes

You can also try this method.

Also, please be aware of how it works :

• xml file is a static list, provided with each ROM (and reset at each flash)
  • what you use is a user database :
    – it is recreated from xml file when hitting “Reset” in APN settings, or at first startup (when no user data exist)
    – entries can be added to this database using touch interface, “content” command, or manually (it’s an SQLite3)
    – this database can be reset automatically by system, for example when Google choose to change the APN storage method (it happens several times in past years)

So, I’ll recommend to write down added entries outside of phone storage.
Also, not easy but possible, you can retrieve the settings from a TWRP backup (it’s well-known that we all make backups before upgrading our devices ROM :smiley: ).

3 Likes

@smu44 Thanks, I wasn’t aware of this method, next time, I’ll give it a try!

I purchased a Terracube 2e from the /e/ Foundation.

I am in the US and my carrier is Ting (using T-Mobile network).

Data and SMS/MMS work fine, however call quality is terrible. It’s pretty much unusable - either garbled or cutting in and out. Attempts to change location inside/outside, use headset, use speakerphone, and toggle WiFi calling resulted in no improvement.

2 Likes

I thought I read just recently where someone mentioned bad call quality. I believe they turned off VoLTE, then the quality improved. It was re-enabled, I think, while the call quality remained in the improved state.
I think. Maybe. Kind of. Sort of.

2 Likes

Could someone explain how it is that a carrier bans a “phone”? Is this related to

• The OS on the phone, or
  • The phone hardware, or
  • The combination of the phone hardware and OS.

And lastly, does anyone have any experience with using a /e/ phone in China?

It’s not that the carrier bans a phone; it’s that it doesn’t allow the phone if it lacks VoLTE capability, or if it lacks testing and certification for VolTE on their network.

It’s because with 3G networks shutting down, a phone that can’t make calls over 4G LTE (or hasn’t been certified, and received the network’s authorization for it) won’t be able to connect.

Why don’t all OEMs certify all their devices on every network? Who knows!

The OS is immaterial.

2 Likes

Does this mean that VoLTE capability is a software issue, hardware issue, or both? It seems what you are saying is that this entire thread “List of Carriers that work with /e/OS” is misleading.

2 Likes

I imagine that most, if not all, modern modems (hardware, plus the software that runs that hardware) have the capability, so I would think it only requires the OEM to do the required testing and certification with the networks.

I don’t think the original intent of this thread had to do with VoLTE or non-VoLTE issues specifically. But because of the 3G shutdown, in some countries the networks have started to engage in whitelisting of devices, based on their ability to use VoLTE. [Edit: Also, a couple of countries may still be using CDMA technology, which might be a problem, at least for phones directly sold by /e/. @Manoj may know the answer to that.]

It might have been better to title the thread, for instance, as:

List of National Networks That /e/ Devices are Being Used On (Include Device Model)

[Edit 2: Another thing to consider is that models of the same device for different regions of the world may have different firmware, which is certified for VoLTE “here,” but not “there.” I experienced this problem with my phone and ended up having to flash US firmware to get VoLTE operational. This was before I installed /e/OS, however. I think /e/ replaces all that with its own firmware.

I’m currently using an AT&T-based MVNO, and my device is not certified for AT&T, so I don’t see “Enable Voice Over LTE” in my settings. When I insert a T-mobile SIM, the VoLTE setting appears, but I haven’t tested the connection, because that SIM is expired. I plan to attempt a switch in the near future, though.]

[EDIT 3, Oct 16, 2021: I have now switched to Ting, which uses T-mobile USA’s network. My device is successfully using VoLTE. (Ting can also run on Verizon’s network, but higher up the thread, people say they can’t use Verizon with /e/.)]

From what I have tested so far, Orange in Poland works perfect on /e/ os.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Is there anyone here with a Verizon plan/account that could get an updated list/info from Verizon?

There is a list of Verizon certified unlocked android phones on their community website, but it is 3 years old… And I don’t have a Verizon account to sign in and get a revised list

I haven’t been able to locate anything more recent. This would be helpful to document potential compatible phones and test those models

1 Like

@alexis, This is not a direct answer, but in the meantime, here’s a recent “general” list from Visible (Verizon-owned MVNO), just for a start: Visible | It's Phone Service. In An App.
Also see: What Android phones are compatible with Visible? | Android Central

It may be that Verizon has moved from a list of devices to a simple IMEI checker: Check Your Device's IMEI | Bring Your Own Device to Verizon

2 Likes