First, I have to explain, I‘m not a developer and I have not compared any source code. This is only a short review from a user.
Magma ‘will’ be also a ‚googlefree‘ Android. Magma is a based of AOSP – Android Q. I have build it for my both xiaomi devices (Mi5s and MI5s Plus). I have had also build eOS Pie for both devices, so I was able to compare.
After flashing the OS I haven‘t installed anything else, because I want know if the OS is connecting to Googlag. So I have used my PI-Hole and have monitored all connection for 24 hours. Result: No Goolag connections. Same as on eOS.
- Android Q
- Small prebuild apps
- F-droid is included
- Easy to build with ‚old fashioned way‘
- Only availabe for a few devices
- No enhanced services like ecloud
- No MicroG included
- Android nougat and pie, no Q in near future
- Alot of prebuild apps – small version is planned, but noone knows when it will be available
- Apps store, that includes tracker apps
- Build only via docker or a build script.
- Available for a lot of devices
- Enhanced services – ecloud / email
- MicroG included
From my personal side of view, magma is a nice, googlagfree OS for people which are able to build her own rom (if the device is not supported yet) and, like me, want decide by his own what apps are on the device and which don’t need the enhanced services.
If you are able to build for your own and if you want have a googlagfree Android Q – try magma.
More information you will find here https://t.me/magmacommunity
EDIT 20200211: MicroG part added