Manual network selection not working

Hi all,
A few days ago I received my /e/ Fairphone and all is good. But I work just near a border and I would like to set the network selection to manual because I don’t want my device to catch the foreign network.
But as I try to select my network, it says that it is not possible to connect to the network now and that I have to try later. But after many tries it still doesn’t work, I am blocked in automatic network selection which is a pain in my case.

Have anyone experienced same thing? Am I missing some thing or is it a bug?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi Volvox having the same problem with my new FF3!

Hi,

One of you should open a New issue in our gitlab and the other should put a comment under it.

2 Likes

Ok, I will open an issue.

Just for information, issue opened some time ago: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1673

:slight_smile:

Hello to all,
I open this issue again.
Because i have the same problem.
I have the Fairphone 4. and i want to select the manual network search which doesnt work.

the link from VolvoX didnt show a solution. as this issue was closed. I could not enter this Gitlab Blog, ,as my mail wasnt accepted !?

So anyone has the same problem still?
is there any solution found during the last years?
thanks,
:wink:

https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/report-an-issue#getting-an-error-message-in-new-id-creation-on-eos-gitlab

Thank you for this link!! :+1:

I was checking the Git Lab chat.
Also there this problem was closed.

I now updated to the newest e/os 1.5 - 202210

still i have the problem, that only automatic network selection is on. and its not possible to change to manual selection!

i am happy if there is more people around who could help with a solution!

best regards,

e

Hi! I’m sorry some people face the same problem. Unfortunately I have insufficient technical knowledge to really dig into this issue… As I remember, I tried 2-3 different workarounds, but none of them worked. So I am still blocked as you guys with this issue.

The thing I didn’t try is to upgrade /e/OS to the newest version because of the backup needed to do so. This looked from my point of view more pain than keep living with this bug.

hi there,
thanks VolvoX for coming back :wink:

well the update to 1.5 e/OS was easy, as i didnt “need” the backup that i made before. The installation kept all my data and setup !!

on the other hand i use the software “My Phone explorer” to do the back up. which is a very easy and recommenable programme!

so i hope there will be someone to find a solution!
all the best to you,
eyl

HI all, if I understand the problem correctly I had the same problem. I found a workaround. If under the option “Preferred Network Type” Setting (Same menu, just a little bit above) something else is selected, it is possible to select a network manually in the corresponding option.

I think you should avoid settings which include “NR” in the selection, if you wish to select something manually. I wanted to reply in the Gitlab issue, but I couldn’t create an account (see AnotherElks Answer).

Hi, thank you for the advice. But it didn’t worked for me.

I think I should try to upgrade to the latest /e/OS but have no time to do it.

It worked for me with the Android 10 Version of /e/ I think it was (I just upgraded this weekend from my year old version).

Hi TFTD,
Thank you for your answer!
Yes your work around helped…
It seems if you select the “NR” (5G New Radio) Networks, the manual selection is not possible!!
I now selected a variant without the NR and i could select the network manually!

About Git Lab, you have to write to the gitlab “office” mailadress to apply for a new account. they had problems with the automatic registration!
but i will copy your answer into the gitlab forum, if this is OK for you!??

@ VolvoX: could you try the work around from TFTD without an upgrade?? or did you try? so we find out if it also works on older Android and / or /e/ versions!?
best regards, Eylander

Yes, please update the Gitlab Issue. I already wrote them an e-mail on Monday before I posted here, but till know, have not received an answer jet. So, I have no idea, when I will be able to have an account.
Maybe @VolvoX or an admin can select my answer as solution, so people can find it more easily, here too.

I think the workaround worked for me, with version Q already. (I am not sure, which version I had before my update on the weekend, only that it was at least on year old, because the updates wouldn’t work and I just found time to reinstall the phone last weekend and update to version S.)

For completeness I uploaded a screenshot. Unfortunately I can not edit my first post.

Hi TFTD,
i have one more aspect to your solution of the network problem…
If i deselect the NR network, it is not possible to use the 5G network.
it is only possible to work with 4G networks like LTE.
Did you know, that this is one negativ aspect of deselecting the NR possibility? Do you see another chance…?
thank you for your answer!
eylander

I wasn’t aware of that, as I have never seen my device to connect to a 5G network anyway. But as a workaround I guess it is still good enough. I hope someone competent will deal with the bug. :slight_smile: I have not found another solution but also did not search for one.

I would appreciate a documentation of these settings because I have only a rough idea what it does and why because of some try and error on my side.
For example, if you select a certain entry it doesn’t show all the single options anymore but just states global. So I guess someone put some thought into it.

HI, yes i also hope, that there will be more answers and ideas of technicians or other people who have a technically good solution!
thanks, eylander

Just for completeness. The setting in the screenshot has changed a little with version 1.11-s (at least here I came aware of the change). The options under Preferred network type have been reduced to 5G, 4G, 3G and 2G with radio buttons.

It is now only possible to Automatically select network if you choose 4G. 5G and 3G are not working for me. I have not tried for 2G.

The Gitlab Issue has been updated accordingly.

I would be interested to know, who made these changes in the options and if this person is aware of this issue here. Or what the motivation for this change was.

1 Like