microG Google calls: ask for consent during setup?

I recently bought a Fairphone 3+ from Murena and have been happy with the experience so far. I really like the integration with the Murena cloud, which is the awkward part of other projects.

I’ve run LineageOS for a couple of years before now and moved to /e/OS because I didn’t know LOS was still pinging Google all the time with captive portal and SUPL (also DNS set to google by default ??).

So I’m a bit upset to find out that /e/OS contacts Google via microG as a default default. This was very unexpected. I would expect the default to be off since /e/OS is degoogled. LineageOS with microG has microG features off by default.

I really do understand the following:

/e/OS is designed for the non technical users. The default configuration intends to offer the best user experience to its users, especially with third party applications.

… and I don’t think the following proposal affects that, since users know they are are trying to get away from google.

Proposal:

There should be two modes available in setup:

• Chilled - occasional sparse, anonymized info sent for a smoother experience
  • Hardcore - zero google, for more experienced users who don’t mind workarounds

And tell users on that page about System → Advanced → microG to adjust settings in the future.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

3 Likes

good idea

the component where you’d add the question+decision step is with the “first time setup wizard” at e / os / android_packages_apps_SetupWizard · GitLab … I was curious how you’d add another sceen, a simple activity to copy from and flip some booleans is LocationSettingsActivity.java

• you’ll need to educate on 3 settings: device registration, fcm, safetynet … maybe just start the microg settings screen if users have objections. Would probably leave it ON by default, but “that’s just my opinion”

I haven’t seen a backlog entry asking for this, so you could add one and make your case. The code itself is very simple - just the build environment is entry-level hostile.

Thanks, raising an issue would probably be the next step. It’s one of those things that’s easy to implement but deciding on exactly what info/options to expose the user to could be the tricky part, being mindful of respecting:

/e/OS is designed for the non technical users. The default configuration intends to offer the best user experience to its users, especially with third party applications.

1 Like

because I just came across them fyi - here are the booleans set at time of microg package inclusion: GmsCore/microg.xml · 1bb6f4b0176639bd327cfad5af75ed3e3859e59f · e / os / android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs · GitLab

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.