Microsoft Edge is Coming to Linux

I’ve been using only Ubuntu since I started with Linux but I’m getting tired of this behaviour :unamused:

Maybe I should switch to Arch.

Don’t like it? Don’t use it.

2 Likes

It’s a little bit more complicated than that but ok. Thanks for the tip :grinning:

Well, then please explain :slight_smile:

I’m not confortable with Microsoft getting to Linux world. And Ubuntu has a great part on this because they cut a deal to ship Ubuntu in Windows.
We talk here about privacy and security of our systems (mobile and/or desktop) and getting Microsoft getting near to my devices is unbearable. The Windos SO itself is a monitoring system and Ubuntu started to do something like that some years ago with Amazon app being part of the system.
If one is concerned about privacy and security this news is worrying.
But, hey, feel free to disagree @dotcoma. This is just my opinion, ok? :grinning:

3 Likes

No, now I understand better.

It’s more than just another browser being made available to those who may want it.

Exactly my point.
In fact, one can’t be completely sure.

MS had integrated the linux kernel longer tine ago. They working since longer time on integradion of linux into windows. After they have bought Github they gave access ti tons of linux sources. So it’s all nothing new for me.

But i’m still not understanding the problem. There are enough differnet linux distros on the market. So you will always be able to use a linux distro without MS fingerprints

1 Like

As I said, I’m used to Ubuntu but now I’ll move away. :grinning:
How about Manjaro? Heard good things about it.

1 Like

Why not Debian? You’ve already made the first step.

2 Likes

If you want a secure distro use pureOS it’s from purism without probrietary drivers :+1:

I never liked Debian (can’t tell why) and, yeah, pureOS is an option.
Thanks @seb-ksl and @harvey186

@facb69, I bought a Librem 13 last February, and have really enjoyed the user experience of PureOS, coming from (mostly) Mac OS. Of course, much of that may be that it’s installed on hardware it was designed for. I’m guessing there could be glitches using it with hardware from other sources, much like Ubuntu run on a machine designed for Windows, or Windows run on a machine designed for Windows :laughing:

3 Likes

Trisquel would be an alternative too

2 Likes

I think Torvalds and Stallman should tell M$oft to sod off with their browser. I suppose we GNU/Linux users will do that anyway. We have enough browsers in the linux world. What we don’t have is a good independent browser, although Otter is getting better and better. Btw Trisquel is a great distro.

1 Like

I have never liked Ubuntu, and started to not like even more when 18.04 LTS was released with temeletry stuff (ignoring the Amazon launcher) + forced snapcrap.

I have used Arch, but I didn’t like the manual approach, the installation and the instability and the need to check everything for problematic packages on their website to avoid problems. So I switched to Manjaro which is a “newbie” friendly version of Arch, much more “stable” than actual Arch.

It has been years since I moved up to Manjaro and no big issues compared to Ubuntu, quite the opposite. It has been very stable for a rolling-release, but it may vary from user to user. Also, the fact you can install/remove new kernels, drivers, complex language packages graphically was a big plus.

2 Likes

I would recommend you Solus OS.
https://getsol.us/home/

Thank you all for the inputs.
I’ll give it a try on Manjaro, Triskel and Solus.
I only tested PureOS on VM because my machine is very poor in hardware. The Gnome stuff won’t work.
And I’m a huge fan of xfce, go figger … :smile:

1 Like

I think if you want Ubuntu without spying use Debian, they almost similiar but on Debian you need setup a lot of things after first install which already Ubuntu have included.

Yeah, maybe that’s why I don’t like Debian on desktop. Sure, for a server it is awesome.