Microsoft Edge is Coming to Linux

this differences are really insignificant in practice. everything needed is usually already availabe, and additional installations – e.g. utilizing the commercial nvidia drivers – are done by one simple command.

sure – i mostly use debian, because i worked for decades as system operator and and software developer, and you simple have share the efforts of one vivid open source community resp. concentrate on one particular widespread distribution, which works just as well on the desktop as on headless server systems and clusters, otherwise you are not able handle all the little daily troubles and continuous changes concerning the whole linux ecosystem in an efficient manner. debian is definitely a good choice for both worlds – for servers and the desktop. only for more advanced usage scenarios (e.g. smaller containers, virtualization solutions and performance optimized demands) i would recommend alternatives, like alpine linux or clear linux.

2 Likes

Well, you won’t like Arch neither then :slight_smile:

That’s right @Gregoire, I didn’t like Arch. :smile:
I’m still stuck with the apt or rpm or slackpkg kind of things.

1 Like

Honestly, try Solus.
I wrote an article about my experience using it, but I’m French sadly.

I can’t wait to get a laptop and install Solus on it. (I’m using a Macbook right now, not mine… :pensive: )

i really like the very well documentation and active user community behind Arch – and this makes a lot of difference compared to more businesses resp. passive/tacit consumer oriented distros like CentOS --, but i’m not really able to compare its pros and cons with debian because i personally never used it in practice.

in general, i wouldn’t overestimate the importance of the choice of distribution. it’s more significant, what’s inside than on the outer surface!

compatibility to the real thing resp. coordination with all the different upstream developers of the used free software is IMHO a much more convincing argument to choose one kind of packaging line than easier access to questionable proprietary software or obscure modified software components.

1 Like

I’m trying Solus on a VM but haven’t had some spare time to dig in. But I will.

1 Like

It’s not that I hated it but I’m not in the mood to get used to a new distro so different.
I use Ubuntu on my private machines but Slackware for working.
But whenver I have the time, I’ll surely will give it a chance. Or Manjaro.

well i mean more Gnome settigs, Debian has pure version of it and i need install a lot of extension to make it look and work like in Ubuntu.

1 Like

@Gregoire need a suggestion for a laptop?

Galago Pro by system76!

1 Like

@donut3 thank you. But it’s a little bit light… I need something powerful enough to edit videos… :slight_smile:

Edge on Linux… Bad news !

We should Leave and don’t use GAFAM products !

1 Like

For those uncomfortable with using Ubuntu, maybe you can try Linux Mint Debian Edition.

A Look At Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 “Debbie” - Joe Collins

1 Like

I was just about to mention that!

For those interested in testing Linux distros, Bodhi (https://www.bodhilinux.com/) has finally released a new version.
It needs very low hardware configuration to run smoothly. I’ve been trying it since yesterday on a laptop with 2GB RAM and Pentium Dual-Core 2.30GHz.
With Mint, Xubuntu and many others, my laptop used to freeze because of the use of Firefox and many terminal windows with active ssh sessions.
I’m using it for home office right now and I’m impressed.

2 Likes

The usage from Edge is over FF

https://netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx

No way… This is really bad news

This may have more to do with the number of PC’s with Windows OS than linux. PC’s if on windows 10 will have edge by default. Funny though even when we had to work on windows OS as in my previous organization we preferred using FF :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I tried solus for a while (as I really like budgie DE), It was super smooth and ran very well though the lack of native package support really annoyed me. Which was made 100x worse whenever I would submit a request for a package or a request to update to an existing one the devs would just close it off cause no one wanted to maintain it… Then usually just say install snap or flatpak. So I went back to ubuntu budgie (minus plank)

@Andy1 I wish I could have this hardware of yours :smile:
I’m still using Bodhi as it is Ubuntu based (18.04) and running smoothly.
And I don’t game either. Last game I played was Wolfenstein some 30 years ago :smile:

3 Likes

Well, @Andy1, I’m an Ubuntu fan! :smile: What can I say?
I’m used to work with Debian like distros better than others and Ubuntu is my favorite flavour.
And I’m using it for remote work, home office. When this is all done, my setup will be a little different. I actually use Kali on my laptop but it’s too heavy for my home office usage so I had to find an alternative.
Let me ask: why you don’t like Ubuntu? All opinions are valid, for me.

1 Like