I installed the unofficial 0.14-q build on my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact some time ago. I wanted to give you just my impressions so you can judge if you should install it or not.
In general I like the phone better now than the original Android version by Sony, even though it lacks some features. It feels snappier and I like the idealogy behind /e/.
The problems for me is:
- camera quality is poor. Most images look like some child has put their greasy fingers on the lens.
- Auto focus (AF) does not work. It tries different focal lengths but always use wrong. For distant objects it is quite ok, for close-up photo (< 0.5 m) they get blurry. Manual focus do work though.
- Battery consumption is high. I have used AccuBattery app and it always says 0% Deep Sleep. With some apps installed (with periodic e-mail checker) the battery energy decrease around 2.5 %/hour even with screen off.
I have successfully used:
- sound, microphone
- external SD card
- fingerprint reader
- ambient light sensor
- selfie camera
I have not yet been able to try:
- phone call (I am lacking a valid sim card)
- sms, mms
- fm radio
- network sharing through wifi or bt
I also found this page by Sony. For Main camera capability it says
With Sony Software: 1/2.3’’ 23 MP Sony Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor, Hybrid Auto Focus 0.03 sec, 5 x Clear Image Zoom, Up to 8x Digital Zoom,
With Open Devices: 20MP
Unfortunately I do not think the camera will be better than this without Sony’s proprietary firmware. I already tried different apps and enabling/disabling Camera2API…