Moto g4+ /e/ rom

Hello,
I’m not at all familiar with android roms like /e/, and I’m lost after following links do XDA.
However I’m an experienced linux user (openSUSE)
That said I can test a rom for moto g4+. As I have two of them unemployed for now I can even send one for you if you have use of it (for free, of course).
Any hint?
thanks
jdd

Hi @jdd welcome to the /e/ forum. The Moto G4 - athene is a supported device and you will find a ROM and instructions here: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/athene

Bon chance. :slight_smile:

Getting Started on /e/OS

1 Like

hello, thanks

it’s the g4+ (g4 plus), not the g4, What I understand it that the camera is different? The XDA thread is here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/moto-g4-plus-roms-kernels-recoveries-other-de.5441/

but it’s to hard for me to follow :frowning: thanks
jdd

back when lineage had the g4 athene in their official builds it was the same build for the g4+

the lineage device tree mentions both models: GitHub - LineageOS/android_device_motorola_athene

I speculate the firmware blobs for the camera cover both models, everything else, the SoC was the same. Sometimes flash size / partitioning is different between models, but not here

Give the /e/ instructions a go, we can help if you run into difficulties

1 Like

when the maintainer left, Lineage dropped the athene, so you’ll only get Android Nougat builds from /e/ too. If you’re into building kernels you could give one of the XDA devicetrees + kernel a go with /e/ source.

Check out this forum for Athene posts, there are users reports on issues encountered. As the threads can be dated, reading them backwards is probably a good idea

1 Like

hello,

what do you mean as “stock oreo”. Do this exist without google apps or at least root access?
Thanks

We usually refer to the manufacturers own distributed ROM as a stock Rom - like it is a “known” guaranteed ROM. So as a very quick search I find this site offering: Motorola Moto G4 XT1624 Stock ROM Firmware (Flash File) - which I might regard as the Stock Nougat ROM for a xt1624.

I might then ask, did Motorola later produce an Oreo version? Well I didn’t find it very quickly, but I found this Stock N/O Firmware [Apr 01/Dec 01 Security Patch][fastboot][7.0/8.1] | XDA Forums.

The blurb points out no guarantees and all, is it a stock Oreo? - well that is how it is described there, I have no idea if an Oreo ROM is available direct from Moto!

Don’t base decisions on my interpretations, but I hope that helps understand the flow of what David was doing.

oh well… but this I already have on my moto g4+! what I would like to have is an alternative rom. Time permitting I will try the g4 version

thanks
jdd