Motorola G7 Plus model REVVLRY custom by T-Mobil,

Have a chance at the above model. The owner claims that this is the T Mobile custom version of the G7 Plus. Is it and if so will it be supported as a G7 Plus??

Thanks.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Is it the xt1965? Oval shape camera? If yes it’s good to go (i use one as my daily driver)

Thanks for the fast reply. I saw the phone on Ebay, gave the seller a list of model numbers and asked which model it was.
Here is the sellers answers: “Its a custom version of the G7 Plus by T-Mobil, the model number is REVVLRY+” " For now it is still supported with updates every month. As for the G7 Plus, they have the same hardware. Its only the exterior thats different"

I don’t have any experience with the US phone system and being burnt once by a T-Mobil phone that wouldn’t work I am a shy about wasting more money on a questionable deal.

Thanks
Paul

Hi,
I am about 3 weeks into using /e/ on two G7 Plus (REVVLRY+). I probably have more details than you care to hear LOL. Long story short…I am testing a Pixel 3a because of poor performance of the G7+ on every service provider I tried: Mint (wholesale T-Mobile), T-Mobile and AT&T. So far, the Pixel 3a is behaving like my S9+ did on Verizon (except for coverage, you can’t beat CDMA in rural areas).

I am in the DFW area in Texas. Technically, I have coverage, but it takes 5-7 seconds to connect a phone call. The signal will drop to 3g and then H+ when it connects (I have no idea what H+ is). Many calls take 2 attempts to connect. The first call goes to voicemail, and the 2nd attempt is a 2-3 second wait, sometimes there will be no ring.
For Mint: It is odd that I was unable to set MNC = 260, as instructed. It always went back 240. Does anyone know what MNC is? When I setup the Pixel 3a, Mint sent a different set of instructions, to setup two APN’s (one of them is for MMS). Calls are immediate, MMS is great, and it actually connects faster to my Verizon/Spectrum phone than to the other G7+ on T-Mobile.

FWIW, AT&T appeared to be just…OK, until Feb 22nd, when AT&T turned off 3g and I couldn’t make a call (I even tried a new SIM in the store). The guy said the network was just busy and should be OK tomorrow LOL. Also, if AT&T tries to convince you to upgrade to the 5g network, don’t. They told me it was a completely different network and I would get higher priority. I explained this was not a 5g phone, and they said it didn’t matter b/c it was a different network…uhhhhh…OK. I tried it, just to see, and it was no different. I tracked the towers I was connecting to through all of this, and they always went to one specific tower far away. I am guessing this is the wholesale tower because Spectrum (wholesale Verizon) always connected to the same tower! The difference between Mint and T-Mobile signal/coverage was insignificant with the G7+. I compared both networks as I drove out of coverage area (remember, I have two phones, each with a different network SIM) and Mint would drop about 1/4 mile sooner than T-Mobile. AT&T had similar coverage to T-Mobile.

IMO, 90% of my issues are the G7+ hardware. Maybe Mint/T-Mobile prioritizes the Pixel? I went with the REVVLRY+ because it was a T-Mobile phone, so I hoped that would remove hardware issues. For me, it did not. Hopefully, you will have a much better experience than I.

Apologies for all of the detail. I hope this helps.

Also! Power seems to affect call connections. When I would test by calling one phone from the other, the call would not connect if the power level was <27%. I tried this on three separate occasions to confirm.

Re REVVLRY, in being sure to have a suitable ROM available you really want the device codename. If you could get the vendor to confirm that it was "lake" then that is a match with Info about Motorola Moto G7 Plus - lake. The supported models listed on that page are

• XT1965-2
  • XT1965-3
  • XT1965-6
  • XT1965-T
    Other models are not supported

For device codename: [HOWTO] Find device codename. Here is the xda forum search link for some extra reading ! Search results for query: revvlry | XDA Forums.

About the MNC, @larrytellef, there is quite an involved thread where some of the vagaries of mnc (and in USA) are explored here Problems Sending/Receiving MMS and Group Messages

Thanks everyone. I am passing on this deal for a number of reasons.I bought a PinePhone a while back; What a waste of money that was. I tried a Oneplus 6T T-mobil phone it couldn’t even find the SIM card. I think I’ll stick to my BB Key 2 for a bit longed. No Google account registered, Aurora Store and Fdroid Apps deliver more than I need.
Since I can’t even program a coffee maker, trouble shooting a “smartphone” :)) is way above my skill grade.
Thanks

I ran Motorola’s Rescue and assist to see the model # on these T-Mobile phones. They are XT1965-T, which is a supported model. /e/ on the Pixel 3a is night and day difference compared to the G7 Plus. Maybe this is all about coverage and towers?

Thanks.
Now that I asked the question there are now a couple Moto Revvlry on Ebay all with the Model number.
What is the quality of the MoTo G7? I have been using Blackberrys for years. Kind of been spoilt. :slight_smile:

Update… after the rescue finished, the model number now says g7(plus). I locked the bootloader and i still receive a motorola screen about a different os, followed by the validty message. I am wondering if the /e/ build will work better now.

As I read it, /e/ instructions do not include locking the bootloader on this device.

Best not to diverge from this part of the instructions with /e/. A https://community.e.foundation/search?expanded=true&q=lock%20bootloader will confirm this, but I think this post has the necessary links. Is it possible to re-lock bootloader of Moto G7 Plus?

Sorry, i did not lock the bootloader. It was locked at the end of the Motorola rescue. My point was that the rescue changed the name from REVVLRY+, and there is a Motorola error about mismatched os… so maybe Motorola did a deep firmware upgrade or something to remove the TMobile buts, and NOW the phone is a g7(plus)? I’m going to try /e/ again today, too see if the g7 performs better.