Multiroom audio

Strange. Can you try to reboot your phone and again check if the cast icons appears. If it is still not showing up you should log a bug report with logs or let me know and I shall reopen the bug that I had closed. You can add you log and phone make ,OS details to it.

Ok @Manoj
I’ll do that later on and let you know.
Thank you once more.

Hi @Manoj
My tests failed again.
I added a comment on your bug report at Gitlab and attached a logcat.
Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks @facb69 for sharing the log I have reopened the issue on Gitlab.

Thank you @Manoj
I’ll follow up the Gitlab issue.

1 Like

Just wanted to come back here to ask: has anyone been able to use /e/ to play sound on a ‘Chromecast built-in’ speaker? that’s one of these speakers with the Google casting technology inside. Not talking about a TV or a set-top box with Chromecast here. Wanted to hear from users before trying it out this weekend.

Edit:
Just tried: I was successful playing music through Chromecast with the DS Audio app on /e/! Good news! However, with the Spotify app, although it lists my speaker, it says ‘Connecting’, and never connects.

Edit 2:
If Chromecast wasn’t working at all for me I would suspect a problem of MicroG not supporting Chromecast and just give up. But I made it work with DS Audio! How is that possible?

Edit 3:
In this configuration the control functions with DS Audio are very limited. Play, pause, previous, next. I think that’s it. I can’t change the volume, so it’s pretty useless.

1 Like

My assumption after discussing it on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/eabp8b/local_music_library_stored_on_synology_nas/fat9ar6?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I’m interested in any solution that uses one of those Linux distributions for audio on Raspberry Pi. For music stored locally, these methods can create a local network and stream the music. And any web browser can be used as a remote control when typing in the local server URL. Control with an Upnp/DLNA app is also a possibility if the server can stream DLNA.

@cedricoola If you want audio sync in different rooms then look at PiCorePlayer. If you don’t need that then look at it anyway but also look at Volumio.

Yes, there are a few solutions available for Raspberry Pi. There’s a list here that includes PiCorePlayer. https://www.justboom.co/software/
I’m thinking about trying one that runs as a WiFi dongle on the thiny Raspberry Pi Zero. My server would be on another device like a pc, a NAS or Raspberry. From what I see, only the Justboom Player and the Max2Plax solutions seems to handle the Pi Zero. If anyone has experience with something smilar, I’m curious.
The main reason I haven’t tried yet is that the Pi Zero is out of order in my local stores.

I give up the DIY solutions and will try this instead: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/octavio-tech/octavio-your-music-anywhere-at-home
It’s a small and un-googled spotify streamer. Looking forward!

Hi @cedricoola Have you used this device at all? What is your experience?

They just finished the crowdfunding campaign and mention a delivery date in November this year.

1 Like

It’s already available here since months :wink:
https://www.balena.io/blog/turn-your-old-speakers-or-hi-fi-into-bluetooth-receivers-using-only-a-raspberry-pi/

I need to try it since a long time, maybe i will configure it this week-end and I will post a feedback :slight_smile:

Very interesting that you mention Balena, @Poipoi! I was just reading about it last week. It differs from the Octavio streamer in the fact that it is a do-it-yourself project, so it involves buying different hardware elements, assembling them. But Balena system seems quite easy to set up. You’ll tell us.
With the Balena solution, I understand the server is not installed on the domestic network but on Balena cloud. This is different from the other Raspberry Pi audio solution that I had heard of until now where the Raspberry Pi is a home server. Here this is not needed because the services are cloud based. Balena is in fact a company that offers to control connected objects of all kinds. the fact that they offer a service for audio is innovative! i’m looking forward to hear more about it.

So to be avoided then.

Yep…I’ve heard of this Balena solution and didn’t try it because of this “who knows where” cloud based aspect.

Not only “who knows where”, but also you’d be without music if your internet connection got interrupted. For some things, and this is one, keeping everything local is the most sensible solution. Since Balena requires a Raspberry Pi you might as well put piCorePlayer and the LMS server on it. Pis are cheap enough to put others (running only piCorePlayer without the LMS server) in each extra room you want music in.

I don’t have a PI so I’m stuck to use Emby on my server and phone to watch videos and listen music. There’s only a Google Firebase Analytics tracker.
I tried the Ampache solution but didn’t like it.