Multiroom audio

MicroG was updated a month back to the then latest branch and a defect raised for this was closed.

1 Like

Would love to hear from users what is there experience.

To add to what I mentioned earlier I had tested casting YouTube from Chromecast App on my phone and it was working. This was a couple of weeks back and had closed an issue I had raised related to this.

Good to hear that casting on a screen works.
If any /e/ users have been casting on speakers, would love to hear from them.

Iā€™m wondering if the audio casting function requires the latest version of the Google Play Store app to be installed on the device. It appears to be like that on another device I tried that has Google default Android. In any case, iā€™m not going to install Play store on /e/.

I am not sure you can even install Google Play store on top of /e/ .Not only does it go against the entire idea behind /e/ but also since all Google calls have been removed from the code Google Play may not work.

@Manoj
I read your post on https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/GmsCore/issues/4 and you said that you managed to cast YouTube (downloaded from App Store) to Chromeccast using MicroG version 0.2.7.17455.
Iā€™m using MicroG version 0.2.8.17785 and the same YouTube app but nothing happens; no cast icon shows up.
Sorry but what am I missing here?

Thanks for pointing this out. I had testing this sometime back. Later I removed the chromecast and now use a RaspberryPi 2 with libreelec 18.3 to run Kodi ā€¦in short never got a chance to retest Chromecast. Will test it again and get back to you

Just tested the YouTube app on Apps with a Chromecast using MicroG v0.2.8.17785 and it was working. I am testing on a Pi/e/ build not sure that should make a difference

Looks something is different in my phone from yours :roll_eyes:
But Iā€™ll give it another try by night and see if I am the one missing something here.
Thanks in advance.

Check the wifi network of your chromecast and your phone they should be the same. I have two networks on my wifi router which causes some confusion.

I only have one wi-fi network at home so this shouldnā€™t be the problem but Iā€™ll run a test by night with my /e/ phone and my Lineage phone. Both with official YouTube apps.
Iā€™ll post the results here by tomorrow, ok?
Thanks again for your attention @Manoj.

Hi @Manoj
Unfortunately, it did not work.
Only one network, both Chromecast and phone connected to it, and no cast icon.
No firewall or antivirus on phone.
I tried other apps that has support to Chromecast like Netflix, XPlayerā€¦
I have a Google account on the phone.
I even tried the Google Home app (from the App Store).
Well, I guess Iā€™m out of luck here. :slight_smile:
If you think of something else let me know, ok?
Thanks for your attention.

Strange. Can you try to reboot your phone and again check if the cast icons appears. If it is still not showing up you should log a bug report with logs or let me know and I shall reopen the bug that I had closed. You can add you log and phone make ,OS details to it.

Ok @Manoj
Iā€™ll do that later on and let you know.
Thank you once more.

Hi @Manoj
My tests failed again.
I added a comment on your bug report at Gitlab and attached a logcat.
Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks @facb69 for sharing the log I have reopened the issue on Gitlab.

Thank you @Manoj
Iā€™ll follow up the Gitlab issue.

1 Like

Just wanted to come back here to ask: has anyone been able to use /e/ to play sound on a ā€˜Chromecast built-inā€™ speaker? thatā€™s one of these speakers with the Google casting technology inside. Not talking about a TV or a set-top box with Chromecast here. Wanted to hear from users before trying it out this weekend.

Edit:
Just tried: I was successful playing music through Chromecast with the DS Audio app on /e/! Good news! However, with the Spotify app, although it lists my speaker, it says ā€˜Connectingā€™, and never connects.

Edit 2:
If Chromecast wasnā€™t working at all for me I would suspect a problem of MicroG not supporting Chromecast and just give up. But I made it work with DS Audio! How is that possible?

Edit 3:
In this configuration the control functions with DS Audio are very limited. Play, pause, previous, next. I think thatā€™s it. I canā€™t change the volume, so itā€™s pretty useless.

1 Like