Multiroom audio

The description is correct. Thanks @niko , @vincen and @cedricoola for highlighting the issue.

3 Likes

Going back to what the original question was about: my answer is no. But if /e/ is going to include support for a casting service by default I would prefer Miracast. After all, Chromecast is still Google, which is what weā€™re trying to get away fromā€¦

5 Likes

Qualcomm Allplay works on /e/. I succesfully controlled the D-Stream streamer-amp with /e/ (with the D-Stream Air app installed). It works with the Allplay multiroom standard.

2 Likes

Miracast would be nice too but itā€™s only video, and not audio only as Chromecast ! Side note too: it exists from what I know some open-source implementation of Google Cast so perhaps it could be a way :wink:
Second problem: most of streaming apps works only with Google Cast (no Miracast or any open streaming systems unhappy :frowning:

2 Likes

It seems like the problem with Chromecast Audio will not be one for many in the future. Google decided to stop selling them. Iā€™m only using that with Spotify. I think iā€™ll just use a Raspi with Spotify connect.

But the problem with CC Video just got more severe. I canā€™t even cast from the Youtube app any more.

@niko you are right. I also had this issue with chromecast video starting a few days back. Have raised an issue in Gitlab https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/GmsCore/issues/4

For multiroom audio, I use Squeezer on /e/ to control a Xubuntu LMS instance and a number of piCorePlayer instances. This allows synchronized audio in different rooms and works well. Casting from /e/ to a Roku 2 at a friends house works right out of the box.

2 Likes

support of chromecast especially chromecast audio is on of the post important features, imho. It works out of the box on many speakers, which you can find in many places. So the chromecast button in apps like spotify, soundcloud, tune in, radiodroid, dlf mediathek, mixcloud, etc. is obligatory! Without that button they become almost useless.

For LMS you need an extra instance always running, so it is only feasible at home (and at least spotify support terminated). You canā€™t use it e.g. at a no-tech-friends place. I once had a LMS with raspberries setup, mutliroom often needed manual reconfiguration of the delay between rooms (and sometimes some other issues, but its a while ago I used it).

Chromecast is the most user-friendly and the most widespread (multi room) system, so supporting it should be made possible by all means.

If you are using Google home, you donā€™t need a rom like e. Google home is spying on you!

4 Likes

Here Iā€™m switching away of Google Cast (audio version is in all matters no more avalaible since a while here in Europe) to PMP (Plex Media Player) on PI 0 W. As I use already Plex for all my medias, itā€™ll be perfect and at least wonā€™t spy on me :wink:

Good luck with cast system :smiley:

Iā€™m totally open for switching away from chromecast. Does PMP support Spotify Connect? Spotify Connect would basically cover 99% of my audio needs.

Hi @manoj
Iā€™ve just installed /e/ in a Motorola Moto G 2014 (titan). All went fine and I managed to install all the apps I wanted/needed including my bankā€™s.
The problem lies with Chromecast which I use a lot in my home with Netflix and YouTube.
I installed both apps from Aurora and Yalp stores. After reading your answer here I downloaded them as APKs. I tried ApkPure and a couple that I found on the net.
No luck so far. The bloody icon wonā€™t show on the screen.
Any suggestions?

hi @facb69 unfortunately Chromecast does not work any more with MicroG. If you go up this trail this was pointed out some time back and a bug raised. We do not have a fix for this as yet.

1 Like

Ow, I missed that.
Sorry to hear it, @Manoj.
I was hoping /e/ would be like Lineage OS wich I flashed on my old Samsung SIII i9300.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m using it for: Netflix and YouTube casting. For all the rest Iā€™m using /e/ full time.
Thank you.

1 Like

The issue between Chromecast and MicroG appears to have been finally resolved. There is a fix which has been checked into the latest MicroG build. Check the Changelogs on the site. Hopefully the bug should be resolved once we update MicroG on our ROM.

1 Like

Hi @Manoj
I was out on vacation and only saw you answer now.
Great news and thanks for the reply.

But why are you using chromecast at all? Are there no other solutions?

1 Like

Solutions like replacing your speakers?

1 Like

Hi Manoj, indeed in the changelogs I see ā€˜Cast API supportā€™ in June 1st update of MicroG. Now do you know when the update will come to /e/ ?
That said, I also have problems casting from a Google os Android 8 smartphone. A few month ago I got it fixed for some time by updating the Google Play App Store but now it stopped working againā€¦

Whatā€™s the chances Iā€™ll be able to one day ā€˜castā€™ from my /e/ phone to my nexus player (fugu) thats running lineage 15.1 with microg.?