My wish list for /e/

Hi @MusicSlave66, Farid, I am sure your account will not be deleted, but perhaps you can tell me if this was just an unlucky install experience, which we could help to correct (on another thread) or else what are the actual features which you would like to see improved. Good luck in your search for the perfect smartphone ROM - but even the best always needs more work.

1 Like

Like other ones wrote, bank (i.e. Fideuram) and authentication (i.e. CieID) apps working.

Thanks for everything but, now I’m just waiting to see if my phone gets an update for /e/ soon

That the phones are able to pass the safetynet procedure!

I’m going to expand on the “uninstall preloaded apps” wish. Would a dialog during initial setup asking what to install be possible? I like the /e/ suite of apps, but I prefer Brave simply for desktop syncing, and don’t really like having two (well three, DDG) browsers installed on my phone.

Hello.

You can uninstall default apps with adb, just for User 0. Works fine

:wink:

1 Like

Yes, I am with you! A possibility to uninstall/or not install the preloaded Apps would be helpful. For example I prefer FairEmail over a modified K9… Sure I can remove it with ADB. But there should be an easier way in my opinion

1 Like

Seems like that v0.22 can now finally do that :partying_face:

Now only root detection need to work out of the box for non rooted devices:

1 Like

I don’t understand why this is such a problem? Just create a folder and put all the apps you don’t need in there and you’ll never see them again.

Just think of the work load of a “dialog during initial setup asking what to install”. The /e/ team would need to test for each release all possible combinations and setups. Apps would just crash because there would be the possibility of “no browser” or “no e-mail app” installed. If you offer more choice to pick between apps which do the same, then you also have to test e.g. the 5 mail apps you offer! /e/OS doesn’t come with any closed source applications (except Maps) or ads preinstalled so we are just fine with a folder called “useless” filled up with all the apps you don’t need. I’d rather see them working on more essential features :smile:

Hello.

Internal apps’ calls to unused apps can feed little bugs so ‘user 0’ uninstall is the safest and easiest way.

You are right, this is a possibility. But the best unused app is a not installed app. As long as an app is installed I have to maintain/update the app. And this brings always some sort of risks.

Maybe a selection during the installation process is difficult to maintain, as you said. But why not let me choose to deinstall unused apps in the Settings? Is there a good reason not to allow it?

What kind of risks are we talking about? You can also deactivate applications in the systems settings.

Is there a good reason not to allow it?

One of the core basics of Android are Intents. So let’s say you click on a link to open a browser in an email app, the app then sends an Intent to the OS to give you the choice to chose between apps, in this case browsers. If there are no apps installed to handle the Intent, then the user just can’t do anything and also sometimes apps are not prepared to not have an e.g. browser available and would just crash. This might be clear for tech savvy people, but I can already see my mum deleting her browser by accident and then her phone wouldn’t be able to open any links! /e/OS aims at people like my mum. This is great and why I support this project :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If an app is unused why would you have to maintain/update it? No use, no update, no risk. You don’t have to do anything unless you suffer from upgrade-itis (sadly, I have that affliction).

Also, for the most part, the default apps are not updated anyway except when the ROM updates.

Regarding just disabling apps, does /e/ still do the abnormal thing of not allowing apps to be disabled?

1 Like

I am coming from Windows and there it’s better to uninstall an unused App. Because a security issue in an unused app can cause trouble and harm your Computer! (e.g. Adobe Flash or the Java Runtime)
I just guess it is the same here. And for that reason I always update my Apps. But I’m not interested in updating Apps I don’t need. Less is more in this case…

Disabling the Apps would be better than nothing. But even this is not possible in /e/OS… Is there a reason?

1 Like

is it just for Fairphones that?

Waiting for payment apps, official identification apps and health apps to work without G00gl (Belgium: Payconic, ItsMe, Coronalert). Without these apps I have no use for a smartphone. Soon needed to travel is a vaccination passport. Has to work without G00gl too. Belgian version doesn’t.
/e/ cannot change this, it all depends on governments to make it mandatory to have these apps available for all mobile operating systems without G00gl.
Coming soon:

Maybe an opportunity to convince the EU that this eID, wallet, payment and health apps have to be available on all mobile OS’s and not only the duopolists Apple&G00gl?

5 Likes

In Dutch:
https://futureu.europa.eu/processes/Digital/f/15/proposals/244267?locale=nl
English translation:
https://futureu.europa.eu/processes/Digital/f/15/proposals/244267?locale=en&toggle_translations=true

5 Likes

(wish 1)
Launcher chooser at first boot:
Coming from iOS? → Bliss Launcher will be standard
Coming from Android → LeOS-Launcher** will be standard
(can always be changed in settings again)

** (de-googled Lawnchair, thanks to harvey^^)

(wish 2)
proper ecloud sync and better settings, maybe even just provide the whole nextcloud app from stock.

These two alone would be my wishes for /e/OS.

Trebuchet as an alternative default launcher which is minimal as well as Tablet optimized.

GrapheneOS Camera app which seems to give a great stock experience and maybe worth look at as a base for an /e/OS Camera app.

Trebuchet as Alternate /e/OS default launcher

GrapheneOS Camera Option - Possible foundation for a native /e/OS Camera

1 Like

What is wrong with Trebuchet / Launcher3 which is already present - although deliberately disabled by /e/ - in the /e/OS ROM?

2 Likes