Navigation App is Junk

I bought this S9 from efoundation and upgraded to Android 10/Q.

Shame on me for thinking a critical application would just work. I was just put into a very sketchy situation because this app doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

It won’t find my fcuking location.

I have location on, Magic earth has access to location, no vpn enabled, no GPS spoofing app.

It keeps thinking I’m at a friends house but I’m 60miles away from there. WTF.

We have our limitations with Maps application on FOSS. If the OS or the phone is not up to your requirements pl ask for a refund by sending details of the purchase to support@e.email

Hm, Magic Earth works really fine on my refurbished S9 with A10/Q [eOS 0.17]. Occasionally, when I switch back from some other APP to Magic Earth the location marker has disappeared or is displaced on the map. Until now it has always reappeared after few seconds.

I see this from time to time too. When I first start up Magic Earth, it shows my current location is ~20 miles away from where I actually am. Within a few seconds it corrects itself.

Here’s what is UNSETTLING about this - the first (wrong) location is my previous residence, where I NEVER used or even had /e/ installed.

How and why does Magic Earth do this? It makes me think that some tracking system somewhere has location data on me, and thus thinks I still live at the old location…? It’s as if Magic Earth is referencing that data upon startup, until it finally finds my actual location.

Like I said, I didn’t even know about /e/ until AFTER I moved away from my previous home. This is creepy as hell.

Did you have OSMand (or Magic Earth) installed before you had /e/OS?

I’ve always noted this behavior with OSMand, which is the only map app I’ve ever used on Android. Sometimes it finds my location quickly, especially if I’m outdoors, and sometimes not so quickly, usually when I’m indoors. I think it also depends on the quality of the device’s GPS.

No. Vanilla Android with all standard Gapps.

1 Like

Creepy indeed… I don’t like this location guessing based on (??)

At least you can tell /e/ to only use the device’s GPS for location (old version n directly, in q by disabling WLAN and Bluetooth queries).

However, on my device this ‘GPS only’ location finding does seem to be broken currently. (was ok on previous versions q and n). Problem is mentioned on Gitlab but still unresolved.

I wonder, does an Android device retain a history of GPS locations, perhaps one saved as “home” that it makes available to installed mapping apps?

Unknown. The first phone I installed /e/ on, was the same phone I had used living at the old address (stock vanilla Android/Gapps). I first installed /e/ on this phone at my current address. After having some issues with /e/, I installed a different OS after trying out /e/ for a bit (Lineage).

I don’t have that (Lineage) phone anymore in my possession - my current phone was bought and /e/ installed at my new home address

Maybe the location somehow tries to default to the old address due to the old device having it logged somewhere, even after installing two different OS’s (/e/ and then Lineage)? Then from that moment forward, all this data is linked to my /e/ account and therefore inseparable?

Is that a possibility @Manoj ?

1 Like

I’m using a Garmin GPS device for hiking and cycling since a dozen of years. It offers a screen with graphics showing the position of the detected satellites in the sky and a bargraph showing the status of the satellites’ signal. If I switch it on inside solid buildings it does not find satellites. Putting it near a window it takes some minutes to calculate the actual location, outdoors it is faster and sees more satellites (needs at least three to find position).
Smartphones use other information sources to calculate the actual location, e.g. WLAN positions. Google should have very detailed information from millions of smartphones walking around reporting these locations. So the G-Android maps APP will know the location even if the device does not see any satellite. Magic Earth might not have access to such detailed information and

use other less precise data (addresses?) to localize when no satellites can be detected.

1 Like