Need help - S7 freezes all the time

Do you know if you were running a stable aka Official build/? I guess the rest of this reply is assuming you answered yes.

If yes, I think you should read this thread Problem update 1.20 on Samsung Galaxy S7. There were a number of threads around this time, but this one seems to contain quite a lot of links.

Users were given this alert at the time

It was significant that users should not have any SD card installed as Internal storage before the OTA Upgrade. Some explanation of Internal / External SD card ✏ A little guide to... using SD cards - Guides - Fairphone Community Forum. Do you have an SD card installed as Internal?

I am not a Mac user, so I have no input on that front.

What sort of difficulty are you having?

All the time you went without updates, were you on Android 10 (Q)? You can see the stable builds that have been published here /e/OS stable herolte download. (3 years ago maybe Android 7 Nougat.)

There has now been OTA upgrades (stable builds only) of both an Android 11 (R) and Android 12 (S). From your use of the phone since the (assumed) upgrade do you know which Android version you were most recently running?