No luck of getting /e/ onto my OnePlus8

So from the first link in my last post you can see the /e/ naming convention. The r in e-1.19.1-r- represents Android 11 (R). For a device already on Lineage 20 you should probably try the most recent dev build from https://images.ecloud.global/dev/instantnoodle/ e-1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-instantnoodle.zip

Edit and be sure to use the full contents of the Recovery and boot img.

2 Likes

Dear @aibd,
thank you as always.

I want to have a daily driver, so the dev-version might not be the best idea.

Does it make sense to use the MSM Tool by OnePlus, flash down to android 11 and begin from cluster ne with the goal to flash /e/ 1.19.1 R ?

Well that is a possibility, but the install instructions are written for T and the R install instructions are no longer shown. Although a different device I made the same comment in this thread OnePlus 8 Pro additional partition required but lacks expected images.

Here are Lineage instructions which “bridge” the Android 11 - Android 13 install methods. https://lineageosroms.com/instantnoodle/.

If you choose Android 11 (R) MSM and copy-partition would be a sound way to clean up the device in case it was compromised by the attempted downgrade.

Many on the forum here are using dev builds for their daily driver, but I understand how you might be attracted to the stable label.

1 Like

I am going mad here.
I can’t get into the EDL mode which is needed for the MSM Tool. I used all the methods - everytime the phone is connected to the PC it starts into fastboot mode.
I also can’t seem to flash any recoveries although the command console tells me that the flashing process was successfull. When I try to get into recovery mode it is fastboot mode once again.

Do you @aibd have any suggestions? Is this a hard brick?
I flashed and rooted so many phones in the 2010s but never experienced such a case ;-/

Unbrick OnePlus 8/8T/8 Pro via Fastboot Enhance

:crossed_fingers: Try it out Fastboot Enhance Tool from GitHub

1 Like

Thanks @Xxpsilon - but I can’t boot into the FastbootD mode which the tool should do.
I arrive always in fastboot mode.

Should I try to flash the payload.bin anyway?

The tool says: The following partitions to flash may be unknown: odm product system system_ext vendor reserve. You may need to reboot to fastbootd mode.

So you read three times https://community.oneplus.com/thread/1541327. Did you try the third method ?

The last method of getting into EDL mode is using TWRP. It’s the bottom option in the reboot menu. Note: This method doesn’t require for TWRP to be installed. You can simply fastboot boot into TWRP to achieve the desire results.

This is a Dynamic Partition device (partitions are not fixed).

In my experience you can only move to fastbootd under certain circumstances – my guess would be that an existing failed (and / or Android 11) recovery is a potential blocker. Is the presently flashed Recovery Android 13 (despite it not booting), that is does it match the firmware ? Edit … but match of recovery to firmware is not the only issue which a Super partition might bring.

May be worth reading also https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/op8-oos-21aa-ba-da-unbrick-tool-to-restore-your-device-to-oxygenos.4085877/

1 Like

@ Spaceghos7 if the fastboot mode still works and the bootloader is unlocked - have you tried to install an OxygenOS factory image via fastboot?

Note: I would flash each file separately and not use flash_all.bat.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help guys.

I tried it with this manual:
https://droidwin.com/restore-oneplus-8-stock-oxygenos-fastboot-commands/#Restore_OnePlus_8T_to_Stock_via_Fastboot_Commands

(Step 6b: Manual method)
But I got only to step 3: fastboot reboot fastboot
I receive the error message
Failed to boot into userspace fastboot; one or more components micht be unbootable

Any suggestions?

Try this: Fix Fastboot: Error: Failed To Boot Into Userspace Fastboot

2 Likes

Sorry, no. No luck. I followed the instructions exactly but the result is the same.

The issue looks like a mix of Android 11 and 13.

Android does not expect you to downgrade (but EDL should allow it).

You really want a ROM that does not involve downgrade from the last thing running.

1 Like

so should I try to flash the lineage 20 version which was installed before I ran in this trouble?

That would be the easiest thing to try.

1 Like

I must kiss you guys for your expertise and your patience! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Big thanks to @aibd @Xxpsilon @piero !!
I flashed Lineage 20 again AND NOW EVERYTHING WORKS!!!

OK - @aibd you this before:

How can I now manage to flash /e/ without running into that trouble again?
Should I first try to flash Android 11 via the MSM tool and begin from the start (unlocking bootloader etc.)
or is there a way to directly going to /e/ with the dev bouild that you suggested?

1 Like

@Spaceghos7
Be sure to follow the instructions in this /e/OS documentation:
LineageOS 20.0 explicitly requires the Android 13 firmware to be installed first:

Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 13 firmware.

If installing the stable build, please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.

2 Likes

Great!

Everything went smooth!
thanks for all your help.

One more question though:
Should I now lock the bootloader again?
AFAIK the easy installer does this. I know about the security reasons - but I would like to know if there is a chance I could brick my phone by relocking the bootloader?

Good to hear you succeeded :slightly_smiling_face:

No, you cannot relock the bootloader. If it is not in the install instructions, it should not be done.

There is a list of the small number of devices where bootloader can be locked here [LIST] Devices where bootloader can be relocked

1 Like

Relockable: No
The CalyxOS team, known for being able to relock the bootloader on all their supported devices, have stopped further development for the OnePlus-8-family because they ultimately failed to relock the bootloader without negative consequences (‘brick’).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.