Notifications not received in proton mail app

You may be right. With the latest Microg build GCM is not working. So no notification in protonmail only! Other apps are working. There is a solution given in some old thread to register GCM here not tested it yet.

Yes that was my solution too and it worked for me.
Here is the topic about that issue :

I gave it a try. Activating GCM was successful, by dialing the code *#*#2432546#*#*.

Then tried to re-install protonmial. No luck with notifications.

Then tried the following procedure:

• remove protonmail
  • reboot
  • wifi off
  • entering the phone number again
  • install protonmail again

GCM is active, but the protonmail app was not added. :confused:

In that case I don’t have any solution. Just retry and do what I said earlier in case it would work.

Except for going to the church, I will give some other options a try. If successful, I will let it know in this thread.

Hi @pinibo as mentioned before it has something to do with the microg version. As I posted above I was receiving notifications on my phone for Proton mail. I made a new build with version 0.2.8.17785 of MicroG and now the notifications have stopped. So has the GCM registration. There are 2 version which have come after 0.2.8.17785 and the current latest is v0.2.10.19420 . Will pass on to the build team to add this in the next builds.

Got it. Thanks.
So, I have to wait for an update of MicroG. I understood it cannot be updated manually. I am on an unofficial ROM (Pi/e/ for Mi Mix2), so I guess an OTA update on short term is not expected.

Hi @pinibo Once the latest MicroG release has been added to the /e/ source code the user who made your unofficial build has to run a fresh build. The integration of the microg post test will take a week as we started the testing today.

Protonmail Notifications have started working again on latest build undergoing test. MicroG ver is the same 0.2.8.17785 !!! GCM registration is working so that may be the reason. Why it has started working needs to be debugged.

:smile:
Good news. Since I am on unofficial Pi/e/, I have to see if I can start building my own update as soon as the update on GCM is released.

If I’m not mistaken, protonmail app still requires Google Play Services (microG).

On the other hand the app from tutanota works without microG.

ProtonMail said in a blog paper they would also have their own push notification system. But I think it was in September and I thought it would be faster…

I received this email from Protonmail
So there is hope we will see it soon on FDroid

All Proton apps are now open source
Trust and transparency are core values of Proton. One way to demonstrate our software lives up to the security and privacy promises we make is to release our code to the public.

We’re happy to announce that all ProtonMail and ProtonVPN apps are now open source, following the recent publication of the ProtonMail Android and Bridge apps’ code. This means that any independent expert can analyze our code, giving you peace of mind that our service is secure.*

1 Like

I can confirm ProtonMail is working now. I updated the build and I am getting notifications as expected. Thanks for everyone’s participation.

• Motorola Moto G7

I’m not getting notifications from Proton mail.
Fairphone 3
/e/ OS 11
Proton app v. 1.13.13.733
installed from Apps
The Aurora store shows “1.13.13.733 >> 1.13.16.737” but pressing Update has no effect. Also, tried deinstalling and then installing from Aurora – it showed the newer version in the store, but pressing Install has no effect.

I’d be so grateful if anyone can help!

Can you try this solution given in this same thread

That worked! Thanks a ton.

(I’m sorry, there’s still so much that I don’t understand. I saw the above, but I don’t know what GCM is or why I need it, and the post went on to say they still didn’t have notifications, so it didn’t occur to me to try this.)

PS: I was just getting ready to post my next problem – my phone not finding my headphones over Bluetooth, which I spent an hour yesterday trying to get working – but then I got the brilliant idea to test it one more time just now, and that problem has disappeared. Could that have been related to this GCM thing too?
In any case, thanks again a ton!

PS: Bluetooth has stopped working. Looks like I can’t edit the above post anymore to take that part out, unfortunately.

Hi all,

on my pretty old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 I installed /e/ OS following the intructions found here.

I tried all the setting modifications suggested above, but still I can’t get any notification from the ProtonMail app.

• /e/ system version: e-0.9-n-20200618-1939-UNOFFICIAL-espresso3g
  • Android Version is 7.1.2.
  • ProtonMail app v1.13.22(748) (installed twice to test if it could help)

I receive the notifications from other apps like Signal, Threema and so on.

Does anyone of you have any suggestion on what to do to make the notifications working?

Thanks in advance for your help!