Oneplus 3t front camera

Hi

did an install and the front camera does not work.

it’s a bit confusing because the docs say use twrp but when you go to download the image you get an erecovery for each.
And then searches in the forum amplify that , some people report success with erecovery others with twrp. i wonder if that’s actually a ‘red herring’ …

Anyway, i’ve tried e15 and e16 , Q and R with erecovery and twrp and still have the same issue.
The exact sequece :
From original to recovery-e-1.5-r and e-1.5-r-20221031230467-dev
then twrp-3.7.0_9-0-oneplus3.img e-1.5-r-20221031230467-dev
then same twrp e-1.6-q-20221204240086-dev-oneplus3.zip
then recovery-e-1.6-q-20221204240086 and e-1.6-q-20221204240086-dev

Any idea before i open a bug in gitlab?

Tks

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

This is a bit vague; give a bit more detail.

Does the camera switcher work? What happens? Have you tried another camera app?

Hey

you open the camera app which by default opens the back camera showing whatever it’s in front of the camera.
You click the “switch camera” button so it switches to selfie and you get a static image of what the back camera was recording (like a picture) - no i’m not taking a picture/ pressing the wrong button.
Tried Simple Camera too, the difference is with this one you only get a black screen (not all the phone display, just the section inside the app) instead of the camera “output”.

i wonder if i wiped out something from the firmware i shouldn’t during the pre-install format…

Would have replied earlier but got no notification email. Strange. Anyway…

I don;t know what you would have to wipe to affect the camera. e -recovery should be fine. twrp if you just wipe system, data, cache should be fine too.

Were you on the latest oos android 9 previously by the way?

Tried wiping the camera apps storage in Settings - Apps to start afresh?

i don’t know what was the previous O.S. version. Bought, start, usb debug, replace O.S.
Tried this one i found on the web then upgraded to the latest available but without success
OnePlus3TOxygen_28_OTA_084_all_1906252013_ac38d5c08fd83
The selfie camera app shows a black background with a white icon of a human silhouette in the middle and freezes. The selfie also doesnt work with Opencamera

Well, if it’s not working on stock it may be a hardware issue. May not work on anything.

If you bought it recently maybe get a refund.

I sold my 3T a couple of years ago but here is a picture of the last os details at the time:

yeah i guess so too. unfortunately now i’ve installed some rom where it left lots of files missing and i can’t even boot to recovery only bootloader even after flashing recovery :roll_eyes:

Just in case someone else gets into same or similar problem. these unbrick instructions sorted it
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unbrick-unbrick-tutorial-for-the-oneplus-3t-by-haris-k.3515306/

went back to Android 6.0.1 and OOS 3.5.1 (and unfortunately camera issue persists). I’m returning this device.

Tks for your time @ chrisrg