OnePlus - 8T - kebab - Documentation Suggestions

…Enter suggestions to improve documentation in this category. Do not raise bugs or issues here…

Install /e/OS ‘S’ on a OnePlus 8T - “kebab”

Starting point is this /e/OS documentation

WARNING: Before following these instructions, please make sure that the device is running the latest Android 12 | OxygenOS 12 firmware.

Recommended versions for the nePlus 8T that I’ve tested are:

India (KB2001_11.C.33)
Europe (KB2003_11.C.33
Global (KB2005_11.C.33)

:warning: Important! Before installing eRecovery with fastboot

Flashing compatible firmware

:warning: This device kebab requires a disabled VBMeta image to be flashed prior to booting or flashing anything custom, the process to do so is described below.

1. Download e.g. this vbmeta.img file.

2. Download e.g. this dtbo.img file.

3. Power off the device, and boot it into bootloader mode.

4. Flash a the downloaded images to your OnePlus 8T by typing:

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img

Installing /e/ custom recovery using fastboot

Download /e/OS Recovery for dev build. Simply download the latest recovery file.

Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 12 | OxygenOS 12 firmware.

The next steps according to this /e/OS tutorial

:crossed_fingers:Good success.

2 Likes

Hi all!
I successfully installed E/OS on my OnePlus 8T. Works fine, the only thing is when I connect the USB to my Windows pc only the charging starts and my pc doesn’t see the device at all. There is no menu for the usb settings on the phone until I go into developer settings and force the filetransfer manually. Is it a bug? I don’t want to keep the filtransfer as a default setting, but the “regular” usb settings panel doesn’t come out on the phone :confused:

So, I just went through this fun little exercise last night, and I’ve got a few proposed modifications to the documentation page:

1. The bootloader unlock instructions for the T-Mobile US variant are linked at the bottom, which is good, but there’s no indication that such a note exists. I would submit that the link (as well as a note that there is a specific procedure to bootloader unlock the T-Mobile US variant) be added to the “Unlocking the Bootloader” section.

2. The part about being on Android 13 should come with both a bit more warning, because failure to do so causes the phone to fail pretty spectacularly as it prevents the phone from rebooting even in recovery mode, since the first step is to flash the nonworking recovery mode.

3. I would like to offer my experience as documentation of how to recover from the “Qualcomm Crash Dump” screen (which I got to, obviously, by ignoring the OxygenOS 13 warning)…
    a. If you’re running a T-Mobile US variant, have your unlock_code.bin file handy (if you don’t have one, get one here. Also, remove your SIM card if you have one installed.
    b. Download the MSM Recovery Tool from OnePlus. (note: this is a Windows-only tool).
    c. Extract the contents of the recovery tool and run the executable. Click ‘Next’ on the Login prompt, then ‘Start’ in the upper left.
    d. Power off your phone and unplug it from the USB port. Hold down Vol+ and Vol- for 5-7 seconds, then plug it in while still holding those buttons. This may take a few attempts, but the phone will ultimately enter EDL mode, which the MSM tool will catch and begin a complete reinstall of all software, which takes about 10 minutes.
    e. The phone will reboot into OxygenOS 11. Go through the initial config wizard, skipping the Wi-Fi config and don’t add a Google account or anything else. Skip any steps with a skip button, until you get to a home screen.
    f. Once you’re at a home screen, connect to Wi-Fi. Go to Settings->About Phone, and run a system update. It’ll take at least for repetitions of this task to get up to OxygenOS 13, and it’ll take 1-3 hours depending on the speed of the internet connection.
    g. If you’re on the T-Mobile US variant, follow these instructions using the unlock_code.bin file. If you’re on the other variants, you can (presumably) simply do an ‘adb reboot fastboot’ and then ‘fastboot oem unlock’ from the bootloader.
    h. From this point, the regular install instructions to install /e/OS can be followed.

That was, effectively, my evening last night…I hope I can help someone else.

1 Like

In the device documentation list, the OP8T kebab is labeled : “Safetynet : to test”. Hereunder a screenshot of my daily device running e-os 1.20-t-20240222382228-dev-kebab