Dirty upgrade to /e/OS-T is possible ! (But not for all devices)

The official documentation seems not accurate (inherited from previous versions),
since the /e/OS-“T” build generation (like LineageOS 21) are expected to include the updated needed parts of the firmware.
finally the sentence : “your device must be on latest android” (that leads in many case to lose /data by reinstalling full stock software )
now looks not mandatory, at minus on a device already running /e/OS “R” or “S” version.

@Leon
If you reread attentively their post, none of them have performed a Stock OxygenOS 12 installation,
both have performed a “dirty upgrade”

OnePlus 7 pro problems with latest OS - #14 by aibd

Which phone is best current choice running E/OS (after many failures) - #21 by eosfan

By jumping directly point (8) or (9)
but WITHOUT WIPING ANYTHING
(all the previous steps including (7) have been already done in the past, on a device /e/OS)

Some experiences demonstrate that you can avoid the full stock firmware installation and go direct to /e/OS-T

You are all invited to confirm this statement by sharing your personnal experiences in this thread.

Edit : this is correct for some devices, not for all devices…

2 Likes

There is a LineageOS page for upgrade instantnoodlep of firmware here Update firmware on instantnoodlep | LineageOS Wiki

This method suggests one gets the firmware with the third party app Oxygen Updater, but note that you are not fully reverting the device to stock ROM so at this point you are not deleting any data.

One can check if the /e/OS downloaded ROM appears to contain firmware parts by running payload-dumper-go on the downloaded ROM. One could follow this Walkthrough, but run payload-dumper-go with no -p option so that all partitions are extracted.

2 Likes

Also, one can compare to the content of the stock OS upgrade files they can find

As Piero has said here : Update /e/OS software - #14 by piero I should be able to by pass the firmware step form my Galaxy S10+ and… It works fine !

Thanks to all.

2 Likes

Thank you @piero my phone is a instantnoodlep. After what I read I’ll have a try updating to dev-version from stable android R.

Someone else in this forum recommended me to first flash the new partitions and recovery, and afterwards the system.

I’ll get back to you here as soon as I find the time

Here was my update from R stable to T dev with help from @aibd

2 Likes

Another well researched thread on the subject

1 Like

So if I get it right for instantnoodlep (Oneplus8Pro) I should flash

dtbo.img
vbmeta.img
2.2-t-recovery.img

(there are no other partition img in the recovery.zip)

then boot into recovery - apply update – sideload the 2.2-t-dev.zip

correct?

That is it! But I think I would run Oxygen Updater, so that you get that upgrade (if it exists) in case you should need it. You could collect the upgrade onto an SD card or usb stick.

Edit, and of course have a backup of things you regard as essential, in case something forces you to format data.

From my point of view
There is nothing bad in running Oxygen Updater, and upgrade the rzcovery-e, But

in addition with needed firmware parts,

Are also included into the main /e/OS install .ZIP file.
And recovery will be updated if you tick the “update recovery” case during first boot wizzard.

So, in my opinion, to reach “an user very friendly process”,
you can avoid the stock updater, and manual recovery upgrade steps, you could directly download the 2.2-t-dev.zip, and then,

1 Like

Thank you! So Thursday evening we will know more… If it worked or not

I can confirm that it worked!! Wonderful!!

1 Like

Do I understand it correctly, that all I need to do for an dirty upgrade is e/OS image and nothing else?
And if yes, would this also work for my Samsung A52 to get from official S to community T?

Hi @WolfD welcome to the /e/ forum.

Well, no … you would first need to do the research (for a device not so far mentioned) to see if the /e/OS ROM contains the required vendor parts.

I did this research before Upgrade Samsung A52 /e S to /e T without step over stock rom and for the A52 they were not found.

Hi @WolfD welcome to this Forum.

here is the e-2.3-t-20240819427106-dev-a52q.zip content,

that looks not sufisant…

but have a try…

If not working, or if you decide to upgrade Samsung Firmware, take the A525FXXS6DWK2 firmware as it is latest android 13(T) based
you may preserve your /data if you don’t flash CSC

you also can wait a month for the release of /e/OS-U version

Thank you for the fast and friendly replies

@Marine, pour ton Galaxy s10e, tu peux tout simplement :

1 Like

Merci.
J’ai fait ça, sauf que j’ai aussi installé android 12 en étape intermédiaire… Du coup j’imagine que ce n’était pas nécessaire mais au moins ça a marché !

1 Like