Photos taken with OpenCamera are gone

Hello!
Being a new /e/ os user with my fairphone and not very knowledgeable about all this stuff, I hope someone can help me.
I have taken many photos with OpenCamera. Then suddenly, when taking new photos, I got a message that it is not able to save the photo. The photos already taken were still visible in Gallery or in TotalCommander. Since today (might have been with the latest /e/ os update), all photos are gone (either in OpenCamera, in Gallery or in TotalCommander). When I connect my phone to my computer (ubuntu) and navigate to the camera folder, I get this: ‘libmtp error:could not get object handles.’
Does anyone have an idea if my photos still exist and how I can access them again?
Thank you,
Paul

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hello!
Since my first post, all photos that were taken from then on, were accessible and everything worked fine. Now, OpenCamera again cannot save new photos. I can still access the old photos in Gallery but cannot find them when connected to my computer (same message: ‘libmtp error:could not get object handles.’). I fear that they will be lost again.
Does anyone have an idea how I can fix the problem and how I might save my photos?
Thank you,
Paul

Do you have an SD card in the phone? Is it installed to mimic “internal storage” or “old school” External storage.

I had some odd unexpected experiences till I realised I had set the former! :confused:

1 Like

I have it to mimic ‘internal storage’. I suspected also that this is the cause of the problem. Before I reinstall everything and change that to external, I still hope that someone can help me recover my photos…

Thanks, Paul

So when I had this issue, I ordered an OTG drive … I cannot actually remember if I lost much, I think I found a solution within the device - I did not be too quick to reformat the SD card, or I would have lost more!

Worth reading this thread too All photos and videos are gone, as lack of “Use Storage Access Framework” compounds the problem.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Edit, another post reminded me that you mentioned you were quite new to /e/…

Do you have an /e/ account?

The way that photos get synced (and reappear) can be disconcerting!