Plan your whatsapp exit plan now if you haven't already done so

Drugs are drugs anyway. And they are more desirable when you feel alone and far from anyone you love. The true path to fullness is nowhere but inside you. It is hard to find it if you are surrounded of people consuming drugs so happily (in appearance) though you should ask yourself in what kind of world would you like to live and if you are ready to fight for it. :vulcan_salute::pray:

1 Like

In real life, it is impossible for me to only use Wire.

In fact, it is absolutely impossible for me to use Wire + Signal.
If I want to keep a social life and a professional connection, I have to stay on Whatsapp as well, and Messenger.

That means, on a daily basis, I can use Wire, Signal, Whatsapp and Messenger to communicate. Becase my circles of friends / contacts are not that much into privacy for now.
For now, because I feel like it’s a duty for me, because I’m more into it, to introduce these circles to new tools, with the same efficiency (service / UX / workflow) but with a privacy side.
Not easy. At all. And I’m sure we are all in this situation regarding regarding privacy tools with our families, friends and team mates.

This is exactly why I’m not sure that it would be a good option for /e/ to avoid spying apps from its app market. I rather make some kind of an educationnal / instructive display in the app about how private this or that app is.

And for Wire, yes, feels like it’s the best option, but just as @harvey186 said : hoiw many of our friends are using it?

5 Likes

@Gregoire That’s the same here, I feel with you. If you tell someone that using Whatsapp is a stupid thing to do, mostly they look at you like you’re mad (because everyone is using it). Also, in general, I realized it’s never a good idea to mention the word privacy if someone is talking about privacy. In fact there are manipulated media campaigns financed by huge corporations to make people guilty/bored about the word “privacy”.

When speaking about Whatsapp, I try to point out things like: “Yeah, everyone is using it, but I don’t like if an app is spying/stealing my data. Oh, didn’t you know it is doing that for profit? Yeah, even Whatsapp co-founder (Brian Acton) donated fifty million US$ to an other messenger app called Signal, after Whatsapp was sold to facebook/Zuckerberg for 19 billion US$, because he knows exactly what a harmful data stealing monster Whatsapp became." Probably the best we can do is make Whatsapp users feel bad about using that app with a remark or two, and make them think what they’re doing.

Atm I prefer Wire too (besides Jami). Sometimes try to point out: “The co-founder of Skype Janus Friis took some experts from old Skype-days to develop a kickass messenger. This is Wire. What they created is better than Skype in every aspect, better call quality, more user friendly, better data protection.”

But mostly, the best thing to say is: “Just install Wire, it does not matter if you have one app more or less. If you won’t like it, you can remove anytime anyway.”

1 Like

Nations should step up and make regulations that will decentralise the status quo. Before the internet era, a technology was formed which has been allowing a phone number of any any telecom provider to reach to another, anywhere in the world. Likewise, the SMS and later with internet the email. Email is decentralised , even if your relatives are on gmail , that doesn’t mean you have to be on gmail to communicate with them. The fundamental problem these days with Facebook and WhatsApp is that they are centralised services of a massive user count. I hope on the future this would stop. We should be able to choose our messenger provider without being tightened to a specific vendor. All these issues have simply resulted because technology moves faster than regulatory policies around the world.

1 Like

Wire Messaging has been sold to a US Company.

*What about privacy?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/13/messaging-app-wire-confirms-8-2m-raise-responds-to-privacy-concerns-after-moving-holding-company-to-the-us/

In February, Wire quietly raised $8.2 million from Morpheus Ventures and others, we’ve confirmed — the first funding amount it has ever disclosed — and alongside that external financing, it moved its holding company in the same month to the US from Luxembourg, a switch that Wire’s CEO Morten Brogger described in an interview as “simple and pragmatic.”

1 Like

Have you seen the discussion here ? Goodbye 'wire', "wire" is dead

I didn’t. Thank you @harvey186 to have put the link on it.
:blush:

Sorry, but. F@#% Facebook.

1 Like

Hello Folks,
…since isolating WA with shelter and “hand-crypting” the related contacts, it feels a bit more privat… But when they start to push ads I’m gonna leave, maybe this will be a good moment tu persuade family, friends an collegues… My favourite messenger is ‘Delta Chat’, because E-Mail has been and will be… :wink:

Thanks to the Wire app news @harpo_bzh and @harvey186 , thats really bad news for Wire App users. Looks like Wire guys is focusing in selling their product to enterprises. Thats a smart move as a business, but sad as a messenger to all. I really suported Wire app as a whatsapp alternative, but now the federation thing just catched me. Matrix/Riot is not secure like Wire App was suposed to be, and make some business with enterprises and even with France State( see here in their blog ), but they are a better alternative in the long term, because federation is made by default to all, not just to enterprises.

Well, for a closure on this matter: gave up on Matrix/Synapse since I couldn’t find a way to make it work without communicating to matrix servers.

I’ll keep with the Nextcloud Talk solution. All my files, documents, photos, videos, calendar, contacts, etc, stays on my home server, with encryption and all, hosted and managed by myself. Nothing stays on my phone.

Maybe I will also use Delta Chat.

Next week I’ll see my family and install the app on their phones and educate them. If they don’t want to use it they can send me an SMS or e-mail or just f&&&g call me :smile:

WhastApp no more in 2020 for me.

4 Likes

I’m not so convinced by the concept of delta chat. The e-mail infrastructure is just ridiculously bad (considering security and protecting content and metadata). I’d prefer something like Jami (works really well on android) or maybe give TwinMe a try (it’s very reliable and has a great concept, truly p2p).

1 Like

Yep, I tried Delta Chat again but yet I wasn’t convinced. I see no reason to use it instead of a real mail app.
I searched for Jami too but my goal is to have my own server with all of my stuff under my control and watch; don’t want no 3rd party company in between.
IMHO, WebRTC is the best option for me since I want P2P connections like in the old days Internet.
So, Nextcloud and Nextcloud Talk are my choice for the time being. If anybody knows better, I would like to hear some taughts.
:slight_smile:

Briar may be an option, it uses Tor so no servers are needed.
Some disadvantages though: Android only, sending photos isn’t implemented yet, and it uses more battery than most messengers.

https://securechatguide.org/p2papps.html#briar

TwinMe is also an excellent peer to peer option. Self hosting options are limited, probably XMPP being the only other one I would consider but the clients can be technically challenging to use.

@Tycho
Briar is suited only for text messages as far I could see so it does not fit my needs.
I like the TwinMe approach, looks interesting. But…there is a tracker: Google Firebase Analytics (according to Exodus Privacy Analyses).
So, I’ll stick with Nextcloud Talk (no known trackers).
Thanks for the tip.

Just got to be vigilant, people around you will adapt. I nuked my whatsapp quite a while ago, so then all the most important people just started to reach out to me on SMS or email when they could no longer message on whatsapp, then I would tell them if you need to chat with me use telegram or jami. They all then would install one or the other once that was their only choice haha… They may still use whatsapp with other people for now but slowly they will learn to move away from it.

Good goal to set for 2020, you have to just start the trend of no whatsapp and people will follow :+1:

4 Likes

@b3pio

Exactly what I was thinking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…just let me light anothwr torch for ‘delta chat’… ! Of course, it adds something to the old-baken email-communication: The user-interface is “messenger”, you can handle it quite like WA… In question of speed it certainly lacks behind protocols used by other Messengers. I may be old-school, but the IMAP-push is fast enough for me, I don’t need instant ( in the sense of word) replique, just like some seconds more before feeling " forced" :slight_smile: to answer…
But this is only my opinion…
First Of All - Let’s Quit WA !!

I wish it was so simple for all of us. I never used whatsapp before but now have to keep it installed at all times because my aunties and uncles - all above 65 - are using it !!!
They send their children and grandchildren’s photos and videos on it. I tried to talk them out but they told me to …
It is like they found a new toy in their old age and do not want to let go.

And often to these people (yes, I most certainly do have them in my life) this ‘new toy’ is a piece of magic, no other app is as ‘good’, whatever that is perceived as… And often what ‘good’ means is, I know how to use the app already like a boss, and everyone I know is using it…

2 Likes