Plan your whatsapp exit plan now if you haven't already done so

I didn’t. Thank you @harvey186 to have put the link on it.
:blush:

Sorry, but. F@#% Facebook.

1 Like

Hello Folks,
…since isolating WA with shelter and “hand-crypting” the related contacts, it feels a bit more privat… But when they start to push ads I’m gonna leave, maybe this will be a good moment tu persuade family, friends an collegues… My favourite messenger is ‘Delta Chat’, because E-Mail has been and will be… :wink:

Thanks to the Wire app news @harpo_bzh and @harvey186 , thats really bad news for Wire App users. Looks like Wire guys is focusing in selling their product to enterprises. Thats a smart move as a business, but sad as a messenger to all. I really suported Wire app as a whatsapp alternative, but now the federation thing just catched me. Matrix/Riot is not secure like Wire App was suposed to be, and make some business with enterprises and even with France State( see here in their blog ), but they are a better alternative in the long term, because federation is made by default to all, not just to enterprises.

Well, for a closure on this matter: gave up on Matrix/Synapse since I couldn’t find a way to make it work without communicating to matrix servers.

I’ll keep with the Nextcloud Talk solution. All my files, documents, photos, videos, calendar, contacts, etc, stays on my home server, with encryption and all, hosted and managed by myself. Nothing stays on my phone.

Maybe I will also use Delta Chat.

Next week I’ll see my family and install the app on their phones and educate them. If they don’t want to use it they can send me an SMS or e-mail or just f&&&g call me :smile:

WhastApp no more in 2020 for me.

4 Likes

I’m not so convinced by the concept of delta chat. The e-mail infrastructure is just ridiculously bad (considering security and protecting content and metadata). I’d prefer something like Jami (works really well on android) or maybe give TwinMe a try (it’s very reliable and has a great concept, truly p2p).

1 Like

Yep, I tried Delta Chat again but yet I wasn’t convinced. I see no reason to use it instead of a real mail app.
I searched for Jami too but my goal is to have my own server with all of my stuff under my control and watch; don’t want no 3rd party company in between.
IMHO, WebRTC is the best option for me since I want P2P connections like in the old days Internet.
So, Nextcloud and Nextcloud Talk are my choice for the time being. If anybody knows better, I would like to hear some taughts.
:slight_smile:

Briar may be an option, it uses Tor so no servers are needed.
Some disadvantages though: Android only, sending photos isn’t implemented yet, and it uses more battery than most messengers.

https://securechatguide.org/p2papps.html#briar

TwinMe is also an excellent peer to peer option. Self hosting options are limited, probably XMPP being the only other one I would consider but the clients can be technically challenging to use.

@Tycho
Briar is suited only for text messages as far I could see so it does not fit my needs.
I like the TwinMe approach, looks interesting. But…there is a tracker: Google Firebase Analytics (according to Exodus Privacy Analyses).
So, I’ll stick with Nextcloud Talk (no known trackers).
Thanks for the tip.

Just got to be vigilant, people around you will adapt. I nuked my whatsapp quite a while ago, so then all the most important people just started to reach out to me on SMS or email when they could no longer message on whatsapp, then I would tell them if you need to chat with me use telegram or jami. They all then would install one or the other once that was their only choice haha… They may still use whatsapp with other people for now but slowly they will learn to move away from it.

Good goal to set for 2020, you have to just start the trend of no whatsapp and people will follow :+1:

4 Likes

@b3pio

Exactly what I was thinking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…just let me light anothwr torch for ‘delta chat’… ! Of course, it adds something to the old-baken email-communication: The user-interface is “messenger”, you can handle it quite like WA… In question of speed it certainly lacks behind protocols used by other Messengers. I may be old-school, but the IMAP-push is fast enough for me, I don’t need instant ( in the sense of word) replique, just like some seconds more before feeling " forced" :slight_smile: to answer…
But this is only my opinion…
First Of All - Let’s Quit WA !!

I wish it was so simple for all of us. I never used whatsapp before but now have to keep it installed at all times because my aunties and uncles - all above 65 - are using it !!!
They send their children and grandchildren’s photos and videos on it. I tried to talk them out but they told me to …
It is like they found a new toy in their old age and do not want to let go.

And often to these people (yes, I most certainly do have them in my life) this ‘new toy’ is a piece of magic, no other app is as ‘good’, whatever that is perceived as… And often what ‘good’ means is, I know how to use the app already like a boss, and everyone I know is using it…

2 Likes

"…my aunties and uncles - all above 65 - are using it !!!
They send their children and grandchildren’s photos and videos on it." - yes, that’s the root cause of the whatsapp dilemma… it’s very easy to set up and very easy to use for everyone. People just follow others’ examples. Right now I cannot see any other alternatives than Signal in these cases. And that’s hard enough to get someone to install it, if whatsapp is already there.

@facb69 I saw that firebase analytics with TwinMe too. It’s the same as with Jami. Some library causes that notification but it is actually NOT in use by the app. I read in both cases - Jami and TwinMe - that those tracker warnings are definitely false positives (i.e. no trackers whatsoever are in use).

@kalman

Good to hear it.

I’m trying Jami and Twinme.

They seem to be good options for my situtation. Peer to peer communications via phone with audio and video calls, text messages and file sharing. That’s all I’ll ever need.

I only care about my family so they’ll get used to it, my elder mom included.

Everybody else can text me by SMS or directly call, right? :slight_smile:

Just tested Jami and Twinme.
I didn’t like Jami very much but Twinme? Ow, what a surprise!
It worked very well between two old phones (MotoG 2014 and Samsung SIII) and I couldn’t find any tracker or misbehavior.
I’m about to choose Twinme for my default IM.
If someone know any better, please, tell me.
Tks @Tycho for the tip.

For me are Twime and Signal the best options,bought work great and are private.

There are a lot of good messenger with better privacy as WA, but your WA users won’t change to a different messenger. That’s the big problem

There must be a privacy messenger with access to WA api

2 Likes

I don’t really like that Twinme has google firebase analytics tracker in its code whether its in use or not its still there, they should remove it if its not used… Jami has 0 trackers as far as Im aware.