Plans about end to end encryption with murena cloud?

Hi, I like the murena cloud, but I’m not feeling exactly comfy when I know some people still have access to my data (trained staff, police, etc). One year back, when I found e/os/, I read about plans with end to end encryption, but I guess it is still not implemented, right? Or is there some setting already? Are there any near plans for this great feature? I think people would buy more space from murena, when they know it is secured - and support the project :slight_smile: I’m grateful murena has 1GB free, but with photo sync disabled it is more than I will ever need :wink:

6 Likes

I have been a Murena user for one year. Presently have ProtonMail, ProtonVPN, ProtonCalendar, and ProtonDrive. I would drop Proton if Murena started to encrypt, end to end, immediately. I also love the /e/ concept and fully endorse it but the OP asks this question back in April '23 and no one replied. Is this not high on Murena’s near future plans? The seamless Murena Cloud is great but let’s not stop there.

1 Like

Question, what is referred with end-to-end encryption? Is it about email? In that case, non federated solutions, like encryption only working if both end users are /e/ or murena.io users, don’t make sense to me. Yes I’ve read a lot about protonmail and tutanota, but in reality the encryption solution is sort of not federated.

Also, email, even with encryption is not as safe as one might believe, but I agree we should encrypt as much as we can, meaning both the body and the subject. But to me using gnuPGP keys encryption is the solution, since that works no matter the email provider. There are several email clients solutions proving such solutions, including Thunderbird and Kmail, though Thunderbird decided to stop using gnuPPG, but still uses its own openPGP solution.

Email wise, one shouldn’t depend on the email provider to encrypt/decrypt messages.

For other cloud services, like having photos encrypted, and sharing them encrypted, so that only specific people targeted can decrypt it is more complex. Not sure if there are services like that. Nextcloud, which is pretty much what /e/ uses, doesn’t support that.

Or having contacts and calendars encrypted in the cloud, and client syncing unencrypted with those encrypted services, is also not available, not though cardav/caldav that I’m aware of.

If you use storage just for yourself, not to share with anyone else, there might be syncing mechanisms which allow to keep stuff encrypted in the cloud. Or you can manually encrypt stuff through GPG prior to uploading stuff. It might be worth looking for syncing solutions with encryption on the cloud… But that won’t be shareable BTW.

Thanks for the insightful and thoughtful reply. I have been having doubts on continuing with proton once the subscription ends and going full on Murena and have these questions. I would like to get back with you at a later time about gnu/PGP.