[PLEASE READ] Important message for users of Moto E, Moto G, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, HTC One M8, Wingtech Redmi2!

If you are using one of these devices:

• Motorola Moto E (condor)
  • Motorola Moto G (falcon)
  • Motorola Moto G 4G (peregrine)
  • Moto G 2014 (titan)
  • Google Nexus 4 (mako)
  • Google Nexus 5 (hammerhead)
  • HTC One m8 (m8)
  • Wingtech Redmi 2 (wt88047)

Be advised that their available storage size is limiting the size of /e/ builds.
Therefore, on those devices, starting from today, we have to remove some default apps (LibreOffice Viewer, MuPDF and Signal) to be able to release an installable image.

Regarding Signal, you will be able to install it manually to continue using it.

However: please do a Signal backup (Settings > Chats ad media > Create backup, more informations here: https://support.signal.org/hc/en-us/articles/360007059752-Backup-and-Restore-Messages) before the next OS update, or your will loose you data!

For Motorola Moto E (condor) and Motorola Moto G (falcon), we also had to remove Telegram. You are still able to install it manually, and you will recover your data by sign in to the app.

4 Likes

Wow! Nexus 5 has 16gb of storage, how big is e now? Are the bulls fully optimised? No debug settings left lying around?

I believed that the 0.5 version was for 8.1 Android version but after update still always under 7.1.2

My device is falcon

Hi.

No problem with this, but would it be possible to explain a bit what the constraint is?

My Nexus 5 currently uses ~5GB of storage including some additional apps. So thatā€™s probably not it.

What is the limitation?

Hi @MarcusE1W as mentioned in @GaelDuvalā€™s initial mail

each device has a specific amount of internal space set aside for the build. The latest /e/ builds has exceeded the size. This throws an error during the build process. The reason why we did not have this issue with build size earlier is that we have added a number of application that are doing the same function for example QSMS and Signal. This was done to give users an opportunity to migrate their contacts and text messages from one app to the other. As we move towards the release version these ā€˜duplicateā€™ apps will be removed and we will only have a small set of default apps. Future version of the /e/ ROM are also going to have the feature of allowing users the ability to uninstall system apps and install apps of their choice.

1 Like

with the exception of my Xiaomi Mido : Problems after update from 0.1 to 0.5 on Xiaomi Mido

Not having read ā€œimportant messageā€ before ordering a 2nd-and Moto G I realise that I may have a truncated version of the ā€œfalconā€ version of /e/ when I attempt to sideload it using heimdall. But as it has 8 Gb of memory I canā€™t quite see how this is a limiting factor as I have installed /e/ on my old Galaxy Note2 and even with a fair bit of personal uploads it still only takes up less than 500 Mb of 1.7 Gb available on the internal sdcard. I hope it will be possible to install the missing apps - particularly Telegram, which I use a lot, and also Signal. And that this will not slow up the device which has a gigabyte of RAM according to the specs. I chose this phone partly for financial reasons but also because it has a smaller 4.5" screen. Since I would like to offer it to a lady friend who doesnā€™t like the big phones of today, I saw this as the only currently available choice with an /e/ build.

Hi @Grendel the space constraint mentioned is an issue which come up during the build process. By default the each device allocates only a specific portion of its internal space for the OS. When the /e/ ROM started to exceed this space we got errors and builds failed. This issue is only with certain slightly ā€˜olderā€™ device models. As a solution we removed a few default apps to bring down the ROM size. You can install these applications later in case required.

Hello @Manoj thanks for the info about the moto G Iā€™m still awaiting. The bootloader unlock instructions on the Motorola site look a bit complicated and itā€™s not clear if they still support giving the key but I suppose as you list the phone and have an /e/ build for it, this must be possible. Fingers crossed Iā€™ll manage it by myself!

Hi @Manoj. Iā€™m using the Moto G Titan with /e/ with no constraints so far. It has like a 8GB (if I remember well) for storage and I added a 2GB microSD as an internal storage.
Iā€™ve just installed yesterdayā€™s system update and so far, so good. I have some 9.10GB total space and 7.64GB used.
I donā€™t have files like music, videos and docs storaged. I am using my own cloud for that with Nextcloud app; when I need a file, I download it and erase it afterwards.
Iā€™m also using ES File Explorer to explore the files and alert me when Iā€™m out of space.
I was considering changing the microSD to a larger one, like 16GB or 32GB. You believe it would be enough?
Anyway, congrats to the great work you and the rest of the team are doing.

Actually you are the only one to know the answer :yum: If a 2GB SDcard was barely enough (if Iā€™ve understood correctly), a 16GB should be enough.

Anonymeā€¦youā€™re right :neutral_face:
Maybe I was wondering if the system would have support for a SD card greater than 2GB.
Silly me :grinning:

There wonā€™t be any problem with a 16 or 32 GB SDcard :slight_smile:

There wonā€™t be any problem with a 16 or 32 GB SDcard :slight_smile:

Iā€™m using a moto G 2012 with 32Gb. card as internal memory and runs great.

I was using lineage 15.1 and 16 but going down to Nougat works fine even if miss some features from the newest incarnations of android. :frowning:

1 Like

Good to hear it Anonyme!
Iā€™m still learning about phones and stuff related. My confort zone is with servers, Linux and I really donā€™t understand, yet!, how things go with phones and Android.
Thanks for your reply and sorry for taking so long to answer it.