Please rename /e/ to something pronounceable & searchable

I have the dubious honor of being the original poster of this long thread. I did not expect it to be still going almost two years later.

@Mystic, I think “Ester” or “Ester OS” is the best name suggested so far in this long thread.

@GaelDuval, how come the temporary name has still not been replaced with a permanent one?

Seconded! Nothing wrong with /e/. It is slowly becoming searchable too, i.e. the world is adapting to /e/, not vice versa!

Also keep in mind that in other languages many nice names suggested will not mean anything or may be hard to pronounce.

1 Like

When I search for /e/, I see no relevant information. If there was something, this wouldn’t be an issue. My browsers disregard the forward slashes so it only sees the letter “E” which is not helpful in our situation.
The search I am trying to accomplish is “/e/ online tutorial” which finds ZERO results in the top 50.

Here is what I see when I search for /e/, showing ZERO results in the top 50.

Lastly, I can search for /e/ foundation, I only get FOUR records in the first 50 results.

@GaelDuval, @Manoj
Is the name still temporary or is something still in the works?

1 Like

If you look “/e/ os” then the first results that come out are the right ones!

Besides, it’s not like only apple can get her OS with a letter, right?!? :smiley:

No, nothing has changed, the two major problems are still there.

• Browsers still think /e/ is e file located just after your disk root, that will never change.
  • /e/ gives no results in the first page on Startpage (google) and Duckduckgo, because they think you search for the letter e, it’s very unlikely to change.

You must search for /e/ foundation or /e/ OS to find results. But the OS is named /e/, not /e/ OS.

Just compare to eelo: the whole first page is about the os currently named /e/, without needing to search for eelo OS or eelo foundation. (I’m talking about Startpage here (google), not duckduckgo, because Google is way more important in term of trafic and anyway duckduckgo still gives e.foundation as first result)

2 Likes

The new name launch was planned for one of the big phone events at the start of 2020..then 2020 turned out to be quite different to other years…lockdowns, work from home and what not. Ideally the new name should come out as part of a big technical event to maximize the impact and news coverage. A name change is still on the cards though I think most of us are getting used to /e/ :slight_smile:

8 Likes

/e/ = slashy slash (where y = “e”)
slashy
slashy OS

whatever, take your pick… any variation using the slash in the name would be hip and marketable (i’m guessing)

What about: EasyPrivacy OS ?

1 Like

Name suggestion: eedom os.
As in freedom.

5 Likes

i think eOS would just be best, and it can stand for “ethical OS”

2 Likes

Wow, great! I really like “e” for this community, and in fact enough times I write eOS instead of /e/OS. Also that it could stand for ethical OS is great.

The only problem I see is with the project name, not with the OS. Naming some project with a letter name use to be problemous:

1. it’s not recognized as a word or name as there are almost no monosilabic words, apart from prepositions, on many languages.
  2. for the internet, it would not be easy to find the project instead the letter (or random results containing that letter)
2 Likes

eOS is too close to iOS and could cause some misunderstandings. For example, the french “i” is pronounced kinda like the English “e”, so both OS could sound the same depending on the accent you use.

4 Likes

EOS somehow reminds me some japanese camera

fOS, free OS ?

Edit . I went through all the posts. Please ignore all the above

What about European OS?

Just for some extra fun.
FOS. Definitely a very bad choice !!
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=F.O.S. (add last dot in the URL)

1 Like

Europe + India + Brazil + …

2 Likes

Un fact, gg is everywhere in world wide web. So /e/ can stand and grow up everywhere in the world :wink:

1 Like

No, /e/ is global… !
:unamused: :yum:

2 Likes

Just Easy.

If there is Easy installer already.

1 Like