Recommended Update Policy

Happy New Year to everyone :slight_smile:

Just a quick question. Es the Self Hosted ecloud is based on Nextcloud and nextcloud does update apps from while to while, is it recommended by the devs to install those updates or just to work with the initial versions and wait for the ecloud instance to be updated? I usually update the apps, but sometimes I get unwanted behaviour, so just wanted to know what’s recommended.

Thanks
Epsilon

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi, and happy '24 too :slight_smile:
Sorry I missed your post, please read here: How are updates preformed in /e/ self host - #2 by smu44

Thanks Sylvain,

does this apply only to the apps included in the initial installation of the self hosted cloud or also to the ones installed subsequently by the user?

ε

Only applies to selfhosted, as provided by Murena. If you installed something else you are on your own.
Is it about other Docker images, or Nextcloud apps ?

It’s about Nextcloud apps, not other docker images.
I try to run a high performance backend signaling server for Nextcloud Talk, but that is on another server. Do you think you could integrate such a high performance backend to murena cloud as is done for example in the Nexcloud AIO (all in one) edition?

I’m not the person in charge, just a tester and average user :wink:
You may want to open an improvement issue…

About the NC apps you may have installed: you’ll have to update them manually. NEVER upgrade apps provided by Murena.

Thanks for making clear to never upgrade apps provided by Murena, Sylvain. I have two additional questions though: Firstly, why is this? I am aksing because I am using selfhosted ecloud/murena cloud quiet a while now and never realised that Murena is updating any apps between their Murena-nextcloud releases and this could lead to missing some neat features coming with newer versions of an app. Would it be safe to make a backup the Nextcloud instance and install an update to see if it fits and works into the Murena Cloud universe or does this interfere too much with the system? Secondly: The app “memories” comes with Murena Cloud, but is not enabled by default. Does it count as “app provided by Murena”?

Thanks
ε

Hi,

To be honest: I don’t know for sure why Murena cloned/forked some apps.
Some apps may have been modified for privacy concerns, or to integrate better with Murena ecosystem (including eOS on phones). But for some other it is not clear to me why Murena forked them… Maybe only for logo, translation, … ? Also it could be some additional bug fixes.

Anyway, upgrading them manually can lead to:

• something specific for Murena, not working correctly (including eOS on phones)
  • problem with a future Nextcloud update, including possible data loss (app version in Docker image may be lower than current, manually updated, version)
  • non-critical branding integrity loss (if some app include Murena graphic elements)
  • loss of privacy

Please find here the Docker image build script: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud/nextcloud/-/blob/selfhost-25.0.8/Dockerfile (I didn’t find a tag for selfhost-26.0.8 :roll_eyes:).
You will find that some apps are pulled from official repositories, some from Murena Gitlab.
Please be aware that in this script, official apps may also get some patches.

About Memories:
You may find in the script above that this app is official, pulled from Github then renamed to “Gallery”.
I couldn’t find any patch applied to it.

It will need some extra steps to be activated: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting/-/merge_requests/93#note_422733 (https://memories.gallery/install/).
That’s why it is not activated by default, this is unfortunately missing from install & upgrade guide :confused:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.